Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Community Corner > Aussies

Old 02-03-2014, 11:15 PM   #101
Royd
Producer
Producer

I make this comment as a fellow comics and comic art collector fan who loves seeing Aussie creators but would like to meet and maybe arrange a con sketch with international comic creator guests at various shows, particularly those in my hometown.

Unless I'm missing something (and I've checked their website and Facebook page), OzCC only have 2 international comics related guests for the Perth show next month? One is an IDW Editor (whom I doubt will be sketching) and the other is Agnes Garbowska whose work I don't follow.

Ah well, it'll be great to see the Aussie guys and gal!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrothy View Post
Unfortunately given that it is just a couple of weeks after Oz Comic Con Perth, I don't think I'll be able to make it. I'll definitely be down for a pre-con commission from Mike McKone though if the art pusher manages to set something up.
Royd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:39 PM   #102
Underdog07
Hercules

I have not hunted sketches like i did from 08-10, but As FF points out there is more to getting a piece of art than just showing up at a table - although that does work and should be the first step toward requesting a piece.

For top tier arists that jump around a list, getting a sketch is

10% being near front of line
20% personality
25% perseverance
18% character selection
16% being nice/polite
23% waiting
And
92-97% luck

Whats my advice? Have a plan. Keep your eyes and ears open. Reach out to artists in advance. Don't hound or stalk - treat them like a professional and act professional yourself. Get to shows early. Purchase VIP passes that allow early or advanced entry. Be understanding and aware of the process. Be prepared for disappointment - don't let that affect you, instead thank the artist and ask for future considerations. Make friends with artists and people around the artists. That will help immensely. Remember this is supposed to be fun - once it is no longer fun, game over.
Underdog07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:42 PM   #103
Royd
Producer
Producer

What Bill said!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Underdog07 View Post
I have not hunted sketches like i did from 08-10, but As FF points out there is more to getting a piece of art than just showing up at a table - although that does work and should be the first step toward requesting a piece.

20% personality
25% perseverance
18% character selection
16% being nice/polite
23% waiting
And
92-97% luck

Whats my advice? Have a plan. Keep your eyes and ears open. Reach out to artists in advance. Don't hound or stalk - treat them like a professional and act professional yourself. Get to shows early. Purchase VIP passes that allow early or advanced entry. Be understanding and aware of the process. Be prepared for disappointment - don't let that affect you, instead thank the artist and ask for future considerations. Make friends with artists and people around the artists. That will help immensely. Remember this is supposed to be fun - once it is no longer fun, game over.
Old 02-03-2014, 11:45 PM   #104
Wrothy
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royd View Post
I make this comment as a fellow comics and comic art collector fan who loves seeing Aussie creators but would like to meet and maybe arrange a con sketch with international comic creator guests at various shows, particularly those in my hometown.

Unless I'm missing something (and I've checked their website and Facebook page), OzCC only have 2 international comics related guests for the Perth show next month? One is an IDW Editor (whom I doubt will be sketching) and the other is Agnes Garbowska whose work I don't follow.

Ah well, it'll be great to see the Aussie guys and gal!
There's Brad Walker (Guardians of the Galaxy, Heroes for Hire and Green Lantern: New Guardians among others) as well. For some reason he doesn't appear in the main guest list but does appear at the top of the screen where there is a scrolling ticker of guests.

I contacted him via FB the other day regarding the possibility of a pre-con commission and he said to get back to him a couple of weeks before the show to see how he is going with deadlines and whether he can fit a couple in. He will be bringing some of his more recent original art along with him as well.
Wrothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:53 PM   #105
Royd
Producer
Producer

Great - thanks for the info Wrothy, at least there's 2 international artist guests attending! Yeah, I couldn't see any mention of Brad's name so they might want to fix that!

I'm only familiar with Brad's work on Heroes for Hire so I'll have a look at what OA he'll have for sale!

Quote:
There's Brad Walker (Guardians of the Galaxy, Heroes for Hire and Green Lantern: New Guardians among others) as well. For some reason he doesn't appear in the main guest list but does appear at the top of the screen where there is a scrolling ticker of guests.

I contacted him via FB the other day regarding the possibility of a pre-con commission and he said to get back to him a couple of weeks before the show to see how he is going with deadlines and whether he can fit a couple in. He will be bringing some of his more recent original art along with him as well.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:02 AM   #106
Rocket
Art of Mod

Quote:

20% personality
25% perseverance
18% character selection
16% being nice/polite
23% waiting
And
92-97% luck

As always a fantastic post mate!
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 03:02 AM   #107
Rocket
Art of Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl87 View Post
HAHA thanks for the introduction Cem! See you all at Supanova 2014! I'll be the guy still constantly impressed with blink90210's sketch book
Scott!! Great to see you here (finally!) mate!!

It's Rod in case you were wondering
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:23 AM   #108
blink90210
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

Those of you who have been watching the [Insert Name Here] Show will be somewhat familiar with Scott
blink90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2014, 04:26 AM   #109
blink90210

Quote:
Nah - I was referring to Tony Moore at Perthnova. I would have been happy with even a quick head sketch, but alas nothing.

I've also put other people ahead of me. I wanted to get Shanan a Labyrinth piece from Mark Brooks to pay her back for the Spidey sketch she got me at Dragon*Con all those years ago, but wanted to make sure that Ken got his sketch, and managed to sneak in a head sketch for Woody. One of the great things about this hobby is meeting fantastic like-minded people (so it's good to do a solid for them whenever possible).

Which reminds me - Rodney, I still have that Perez/Claremont print aside for you, so the next time I mention I'm coming to Melbourne make sure you remind me to bring it over!
And yet, this isn't the nicest or most generous thing that Wrothy has done for me. Very appreciated mate
Old 02-04-2014, 04:28 AM   #110
blink90210

Quote:

20% personality
25% perseverance
18% character selection
16% being nice/polite
23% waiting
And
92-97% luck

I'd say it's more 94% luck but agree to disagree