Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 09-16-2019, 01:42 PM   #1101
Rav
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
Yes, that's what I read. However, when I referred to Adult themes, the wikipedia article I read said X23 worked as a sex worker, and I quote:

Quote:
NYX

X-23 surfaces in New York City and is taken in by a pimp named Zebra Daddy. She works as a prostitute who caters to sadomasochistic patrons. X-23 continues to cut herself with her own claws, is mostly mute, and proves unable to free herself from the grip of Zebra Daddy. Upon meeting Kiden Nixon, a young mutant with the ability to freeze time when in danger, and Tatiana Caban, a mutant who can take on the physical attributes of whoever and whatever she comes into contact with via their blood, X-23 starts to come to her senses. Although she runs away from Zebra Daddy, he tracks her down. With the aid of her new-found friends (and the mutant named Bobby Soul), Zebra Daddy and his thugs are defeated: X-23 kills him to save the lives of her friends.[14] X-23 abandons her new friends, but eventually bumps into them one last time when on an investigation with Wolverine

So, unless Marvel took a left turn to a very dark place, I assume, at least in this incarnation / storyline X23 is depicted as an Adult.

Wait, you still don’t think Marvel took a dark turn after you quoted that?
Rav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 02:22 PM   #1102
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rav View Post
Wait, you still don’t think Marvel took a dark turn after you quoted that?
Yeah, good point! To be honest, and again I'm no Marvel expert, but that seemed a little out of place for the usual Marvel themes....and, I have to say - in the context of the Marvel Universe - massively implausible.

I mean, you're telling me some skanky low life pimp, is going to press gang a super human psycho assassin into being a prostitute to the point where she has to make an "effort" to escape....

Sounds like the writers got kinky with their personal fantasies and decided to put the "Marvel Universe Mechanics" on hold.

This is probably why I don't typically read comics - still, I'm thinking about checking out D.C. stories....unless someone decides that Powergirl gets kidnapped by the Russian Mafia and turned into an unwilling sex worker for minimum wage......actually, I'd read that.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 03:02 PM   #1103
Rav
The Spirit

Quote:
Yeah, good point! To be honest, and again I'm no Marvel expert, but that seemed a little out of place for the usual Marvel themes....and, I have to say - in the context of the Marvel Universe - massively implausible.

I mean, you're telling me some skanky low life pimp, is going to press gang a super human psycho assassin into being a prostitute to the point where she has to make an "effort" to escape....

Sounds like the writers got kinky with their personal fantasies and decided to put the "Marvel Universe Mechanics" on hold.

This is probably why I don't typically read comics - still, I'm thinking about checking out D.C. stories....unless someone decides that Powergirl gets kidnapped by the Russian Mafia and turned into an unwilling sex worker for minimum wage......actually, I'd read that.
Power may reside where it is perceived to be, and one can simply be restrained by one’s own psyche. If you chain a dog to a post for years, and one day unshackle him, he will still stay around that post.

So you collect comic statues but do not read comics?
Rav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 04:53 PM   #1104
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rav View Post
So you collect comic statues but do not read comics?
I'd guess that around 80% of statues are comic character related, so while I love the medium (statues) I have to accept the comic relationship. I'm interested in the character designs more than anything else, and its easy (for me) to purchase a statue I like, and build up my own narrative around the piece.

This is probably the reasons I don't tend to get hung up on how a certain character "should" look according to their comic background....I'll base my judgements on what is in front of me, if it's executed well I'll order it.

That said, you can't be in this game with no knowledge of the comic world - I would say I have a broad layman's understanding of the obvious characters from Marvel and D.C.
Old 09-16-2019, 06:13 PM   #1105
Y3E
Gen 13

Quote:
Yes, that's what I read. However, when I referred to Adult themes, the wikipedia article I read said X23 worked as a sex worker, and I quote:

So, unless Marvel took a left turn to a very dark place, I assume, at least in this incarnation / storyline X23 is depicted as an Adult.
This story doesn't ring a bell and I thought I had all of her early stories. I'll have to check this out some more. Thanks.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 10:06 PM   #1106
AC_808
Hercules

Quote:

Quote:
NYX

X-23 surfaces in New York City and is taken in by a pimp named Zebra Daddy. She works as a prostitute who caters to sadomasochistic patrons. X-23 continues to cut herself with her own claws, is mostly mute, and proves unable to free herself from the grip of Zebra Daddy. Upon meeting Kiden Nixon, a young mutant with the ability to freeze time when in danger, and Tatiana Caban, a mutant who can take on the physical attributes of whoever and whatever she comes into contact with via their blood, X-23 starts to come to her senses. Although she runs away from Zebra Daddy, he tracks her down. With the aid of her new-found friends (and the mutant named Bobby Soul), Zebra Daddy and his thugs are defeated: X-23 kills him to save the lives of her friends.[14] X-23 abandons her new friends, but eventually bumps into them one last time when on an investigation with Wolverine

I don't know, man. Are you sure that's not a synopsis of a XXX Parody of X-23? You did say "adult themes".
AC_808 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:44 AM   #1107
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_808 View Post
I don't know, man. Are you sure that's not a synopsis of a XXX Parody of X-23? You did say "adult themes".
Disclaimer: The info came from Wikipedia, so I'll leave it to the experts to decide if it's bogus or not.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/X-23
Old 09-17-2019, 03:07 AM   #1108
Peedi
The Secret Six

Quote:

Nope. She’s a teen, period. Her specialty working for Zebra Daddy seemed to be with fetishes, particularly people who enjoy pain. No sex was shown. But X-23 debuted as and still is a teenager.

Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 03:15 AM   #1109
Peedi
The Secret Six

Actually I covered this not long ago. Not knocking anybody else but it really does help (but isn’t necessary) to actually read these characters I’m spending big bucks on. Otherwise you don’t really know who you have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peedi View Post
No need to guess. There’s enough printed facts.

Approximately 16 in X-Force. Domino guesses, and Wolverine doesn’t correct her.

She’s with the teens in just about every comic she’s in. Avengers Academy, Avengers Arena which is all about teenagers, etc.

She dated teen Angel from the O5 X-Men and in Old Man Logan it mentions she’s under the drinking age so comic based clues indicate she’s still a teenager. And she doesn’t like being late for school.

Also she’s a clone of Wolverine who is a short man. She very well could stay short.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 03:38 AM   #1110
ukshaun
Hercules

My admittedly limited knowledge of X-23 derives from the movie Logan. As a movie, i thought Logan was great. The Sideshow X-23 PF was picked up based on photo's take of the piece at various Con's, as i thought as a statue it looks good. On the subject of age, height, the movie Logan appears to have got it right. I view the Sideshow piece as a 1/5 scale 28yo Angelina Jolie jumping into the air, which is by no means a bad thing. In person, i had preconceived ideas the piece would be similar in size to the Sideshow PF Captain Marvel. At the same time, it makes sense to make the piece small as ideally it should be paired with Woverine.
ukshaun is online now   Reply With Quote