Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Chronicle Collectibles

Old 10-01-2020, 02:33 PM   #351
tamaboy311
Luke Cage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jangell2 View Post
A couple days ago about another delay. Now the final charge will be late November with shipment soon to follow. I will remain patience, but will believe it when I get the shipping notice.
I don't think you are getting this piece. You do know CC is likely closing right?
tamaboy311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2020, 07:34 PM   #352
sabin23
Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaboy311 View Post
I don't think you are getting this piece. You do know CC is likely closing right?
in 2018, my retail shop placed a $135 deposit for my preorder through their distributor - Sideshow has not given them an update yet on the status of CC.

I was so looking forward to this statue, i chose the CC one over Prime 1. I'll may have to get that one now but i preferred this one.

Luckily i was just refunded nearly $1,500 for my other 3 CC orders paid with partial.ly.
sabin23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2020, 11:23 AM   #353
Ninner
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabin23 View Post
in 2018, my retail shop placed a $135 deposit for my preorder through their distributor - Sideshow has not given them an update yet on the status of CC.

I was so looking forward to this statue, i chose the CC one over Prime 1. I'll may have to get that one now but i preferred this one.

Luckily i was just refunded nearly $1,500 for my other 3 CC orders paid with partial.ly.
The Prime 1 version was much better anyway, in my opinion!
Ninner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 02:39 PM   #354
statuehungry

if i cannot get a refund i'm sure as hell not getting one from prime, that would be paying double the price !
statuehungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 02:19 PM   #355
jinkazama
Cobra Command

Quote:
Originally Posted by statuehungry View Post
if i cannot get a refund i'm sure as hell not getting one from prime, that would be paying double the price !
But the prime 1 studio version is double the awesomeness......
jinkazama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 02:40 PM   #356
Python
Omega Red

Quote:

I understand your thinking here, but if you don't get a refund, that money is down the drain regardless of whether you spend any more or not. And it'll be entirely on Chronicle. You may as well say that your next two or three mortgage payments are costing you double (I'm not sure if that will help, or just make you feel even worse about paying the bills? ) But if you want one of these, Prime might be the only option.
Python is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 02:53 PM   #357
statuehungry

I see the point in both statements, this has really made me think twice about staying in this hobby, I see many many pieces and i'm ready to buy, then I start thinking about the inflated prices, and I can no longer justify spending 2K on just one piece, my god, 2K, that is a hell of a lot of money to spend on a collectible, I'm finding it harder and harder to convince myself to buy these things. this might be the final nail in the coffin.
statuehungry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2020, 08:37 PM   #358
Hunter22
Frackin!

Quote:
I see the point in both statements, this has really made me think twice about staying in this hobby, I see many many pieces and i'm ready to buy, then I start thinking about the inflated prices, and I can no longer justify spending 2K on just one piece, my god, 2K, that is a hell of a lot of money to spend on a collectible, I'm finding it harder and harder to convince myself to buy these things. this might be the final nail in the coffin.

I understand your point and empathize with your opinion. Difficult times like these and the ups and downs with the economy, job market, and extra stress from the pandemic really makes any sane person analyze their budgets for high end, heck, any collectibles. Everything we collectors buy in this hobby is with discretionary income and there are always opportunity costs.

In terms of rationale. The best advice I got from a long term collector of statues, action figures, and memorabilia was to collect for enjoyment and pure love of the hobby and not for the sake of profit, although keep watch on the market to ensure that what one is buying at least maintains its value and hopefully appreciates in value over time as one grows their collection over the years. It’s important that the market for the items we buy at least stays near the price we pay for these types of items. The ultimate goal, even if you’re not intending to sell the pieces you buy one day, is to watch these items increase in value. Outside of the enjoyment these tangible items give us, they are investments or at least that’s how many collectors view them. Something to pass down to your children and/or family when the time comes or selling needed when the situation becomes dire (unfortunately like now where millions are unemployed or facing job loss). As an average middle-class (income wise) person, I wouldn’t be able to accept collecting in a hobby where items lose a large share of their value after purchasing or have the market fall drastically every few years. That would just give me no confidence in the ability to move the items if I had to.

That being said, the majority of high end collectibles DO keep their value and many (sure a loose speculation here) do frequently increase in value. I collect for enjoyment and appreciation/love of the franchises I buy in. I also enjoy watching my statues increase in value over time. It gives one a peace of mind. Sure, $2,000 is a good chunk of change but it’s not absurdly expensive or outrageous given the cost of most hobbies, and you get to keep your piece (assuming it shipped and arrived to you), so the investment is somewhat secure. I would be more concerned about the value/market of the hobby as a whole. I don’t bat an eye at a $300 purchase for something I really like. I do keep an eye on the market trends. I believe almost anything Jurassic Park wise (and other classic/popular licenses) from Chronicle Collectibles, Iron, and Prime1 will increase in value over time even if the companies that made them don’t survive the next few years...

My point is that the amount of money we drop on collectibles may be a lot relatively speaking, but it’s still worth it if we get enough enjoyment out of the hobby and the pieces, on the average, do not decrease in value over time.
Hunter22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2020, 09:10 PM   #359
sabin23
Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninner View Post
The Prime 1 version was much better anyway, in my opinion!
To each their own! I really like both CC and P1.

There are aspects I liked about the Prime 1 more, like the inclusion of the raptors and LED illumination. But it was also $750 more IIRC.

There's only 1 rotunda T-Rex to choose from now, now that the other challenger gone the way of the dinosaur.
Old 10-23-2020, 09:29 PM   #360
sabin23
Birdman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter22 View Post
I understand your point and empathize with your opinion. Difficult times like these and the ups and downs with the economy, job market, and extra stress from the pandemic really makes any sane person analyze their budgets for high end, heck, any collectibles. Everything we collectors buy in this hobby is with discretionary income and there are always opportunity costs.

In terms of rationale. The best advice I got from a long term collector of statues, action figures, and memorabilia was to collect for enjoyment and pure love of the hobby and not for the sake of profit, although keep watch on the market to ensure that what one is buying at least maintains its value and hopefully appreciates in value over time as one grows their collection over the years. It’s important that the market for the items we buy at least stays near the price we pay for these types of items. The ultimate goal, even if you’re not intending to sell the pieces you buy one day, is to watch these items increase in value. Outside of the enjoyment these tangible items give us, they are investments or at least that’s how many collectors view them. Something to pass down to your children and/or family when the time comes or selling needed when the situation becomes dire (unfortunately like now where millions are unemployed or facing job loss). As an average middle-class (income wise) person, I wouldn’t be able to accept collecting in a hobby where items lose a large share of their value after purchasing or have the market fall drastically every few years. That would just give me no confidence in the ability to move the items if I had to.

That being said, the majority of high end collectibles DO keep their value and many (sure a loose speculation here) do frequently increase in value. I collect for enjoyment and appreciation/love of the franchises I buy in. I also enjoy watching my statues increase in value over time. It gives one a peace of mind. Sure, $2,000 is a good chunk of change but it’s not absurdly expensive or outrageous given the cost of most hobbies, and you get to keep your piece (assuming it shipped and arrived to you), so the investment is somewhat secure. I would be more concerned about the value/market of the hobby as a whole. I don’t bat an eye at a $300 purchase for something I really like. I do keep an eye on the market trends. I believe almost anything Jurassic Park wise (and other classic/popular licenses) from Chronicle Collectibles, Iron, and Prime1 will increase in value over time even if the companies that made them don’t survive the next few years...

My point is that the amount of money we drop on collectibles may be a lot relatively speaking, but it’s still worth it if we get enough enjoyment out of the hobby and the pieces, on the average, do not decrease in value over time.
Well said, could not have said it better myself.

The only thing that I would elaborate on is to narrow our collecting focus down to what we truly love, especially when it comes to these big ticket items. Even if the value drops, at least these collectibles will still have meaning to you.

For me personally, I don't mind shelling out big money on collectibles for characters/movies that I grew up with and have a sentimental attachment to - i.e. Superman Christoper Reeves, Batman 1989, Jurassic Park, Terminator 2, Star Wars, Back to the Future, etc. I never suffer buyer's remorse with these.

Where I run into trouble in this hobby is when I purchase collectibles based on the "flavor of the month." While I really like contemporary films such as the various MCU or DCEU franchises, they'll never hold the same place in my heart as the movies I grew up with.

Sometimes I look at my collection in the display cabinets (or worse, boxed in storage) and question, why did I get that Jared Leto Joker statue? Or did I really need a 5th die-cast Iron Man from Hot Toys?

I'm curious if these contemporary films/collectibles will carry the same resonance with me 10, 20, 30-years from now. With a few exceptions, probably not.