Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 01-23-2018, 03:24 PM   #1
Korath24
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Do you always buy companion pieces?

Haven't seen a thread on this yet. How often do you guys buy companion pieces for your statues, and do you think it's okay not to? I usually buy the companion if it's a character or characters that I really like. I'm thinking of picking up the allied charge captain america pf but I also don't know if I really want the red skull to go with it.
Korath24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:42 PM   #2
vitreolum
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

"and do you think it's okay not to?"

What could possibly stop it from being ok? It's your collection, you decide what's ok and what's not. Getting a piece you don't like just for the sake of companionship is silly.

I very much want a Conan next to Red Sonja, but until/if one I'm satisfied with is released, there's no way I'm getting one that's available and don't really want just for the sake of it.

Boba Fett is also happy to be the sole SW statue in my collection, and he'll most likely remain that way.

And so on. There is no right or wrong, it's all about what you want.

Nevermind the price of these things, which makes it insane to get anything you don't adore; say you can afford everything you want, you're still left with only so much space that's never worth wasting on items you don't really want.
vitreolum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 03:53 PM   #3
WolverineFan
I am da law!

I personally never finish statue lines because I’m not going to buy a statue I dislike, don’t need or that I think is just okay to finish a line. You are just going to end up being unhappy with it and selling it in the long run and losing money.
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:10 PM   #4
wizardjones
Statue Forum MacDaddy

No, most "Companion pieces" are never any character or object that I really care enough to spend the extra money on. Even if I was filthy rich, I wouldn't buy Frog with the Thor PF.
wizardjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:22 PM   #5
gomur
The Tick

I usually buy companion pieces because, if I care enough about the main character, then good chance I find others in a series intriguing as well. Be it allies or enemies.

Of course it's easier to be a completionist at smaller price points and scales, but I haven't been priced out of 1/4 yet (fast approaching though).

My desire for companion pieces actually works against SS at times. Sure they have a lovely Danger Girl, but what's the point of a pricey Abbey Chase if the other two DGs don't get made? It's similar to their lone Sucker Punch release (whereas GG completed the squad).

More recently, why buy into Lion-O when they'll probably stop before a Panthro or Tygra release? I guess you could do a simple 2 character display with Mumm-ra, but I'd rather see the whole team assembled.
gomur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:25 PM   #6
Shaughn54
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

For me the companion piece has to be a great piece. I bought the PF spidey and Im getting the P1 venom. I want a carnage to complete the 3, but there is no carnage that is jumping out to me to buy. Pf, Comiquette, XM. None of them look good enough, so Ill wait...
Shaughn54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:28 PM   #7
adee
Green Arrow

I do for all my quarter scale statues. A villain for every hero. Need that Loki!
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:29 PM   #8
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

I do tend to buy statues that go with each other, but maybe not direct companion pieces. Like My Marvel 1/4 set up is Hulk, Cap(soon), Iron Man(ordered), Thor and Black Widow(soon) and then Wolverine, Spider-man, Daredevil and Punisher(Hoping for a Ghost Rider). I also got Sabertooth, Dr. Doom and Red Skull and have more villains I'd like to pick up. So sometimes yes, but not always directly.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:36 PM   #9
Augen
The Hulk

I have a theme and their are certain product lines I like, but I never feel pressure to get the whole set. I have zero problem with anyone who does either. Collections are about what makes the collectors happy. If that is a hard theme of single character, movie, comic, etc. or just a random assortment both are equally valid.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 05:14 PM   #10
Korath24
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaughn54 View Post
For me the companion piece has to be a great piece. I bought the PF spidey and Im getting the P1 venom. I want a carnage to complete the 3, but there is no carnage that is jumping out to me to buy. Pf, Comiquette, XM. None of them look good enough, so Ill wait...
Funny, I'm in your exact same position. I have the spidey pf, and am ordering p1 venom. Really want a carnage but the pf just isn't doing it for me. Hopefully prime 1 announces one.
Korath24 is offline   Reply With Quote