Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 05-20-2019, 05:06 PM   #2921
gearhead
The Herculoids

I feel like a lot of the disappointment in S8 comes more from it being rushed than from what actually happened. They clearly had enough material for at least two more full seasons, let alone just 6 episodes. For example, no one would have had a problem with Dany's decent into madness if it would have developed over half a season or more. The way it was rushed made it unbelievable and out of character for her at the time. I know what they were going for, they just didn't pull it off right.

That said, I'm mostly ok with how things turned out, with a few notable exceptions.

I think we can all agree Cersei's (and Jamie's) death was super lame.

While I personally liked Jon's ending and thought it was very fitting, he wouldn't have gotten that far. I'll overlook that Drogon didn't eat him because he's also targaryen (but he would have), but no way would the Unsullied and the Dothraki have let him live. He, and the Imp, would have been dead that same day.

Bran on the throne makes no sense. Since he became the three eyed raven he's made a point of not being Bran anymore and just observing. Now he not only accepts but anticipated it? Dumb. It should have been Gendry. He has the lineage and has been a peasant himself, so he would probably rule fairly to the lower class. And his "story" is as good as Brans. Feels like they put Bran there just to be less predictable.

But Drogon lived, so I'm cool.
gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 05:13 PM   #2922
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead View Post
I think we can all agree Cersei's (and Jamie's) death was super lame.
gotta love that an entire city falls on them, yet they are only under about 6 rocks and are just slightly bloody.
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:35 PM   #2923
Philintheblank
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philintheblank View Post
Dany kills Sansa...Arya kills Dany...Jon kills Arya...Jon runs away, just runs, last we see of him is his back...Bran takes the throne...calling it.
I'll just leave this here. ...feel free to ignore the rest.
Philintheblank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 08:52 PM   #2924
Mister H
Gen 13

Quote:
I'll just leave this here. ...feel free to ignore the rest.
....show off.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 09:27 PM   #2925
Philintheblank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
....show off.
Old 05-20-2019, 10:04 PM   #2926
Demona
Martian Manhunter

So who was Brienne “voting” as in the finale? Rep from Tarth who never sat at a voting table before? And what realm does Davos get? I love how he made it with no fighting skills Onion Knight and Bronn clearly came out like champs!

And I’m a little shocked she still isn’t Sansa head knight. I guess her sworn service to the Starks has finally been paid.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 10:07 PM   #2927
Mr. Nice Guy
New Republic

Truly objective...

Every character fell into their exact archetype in the end. It was so predictable.

Cersei and Jamie die together.
Tyrion becomes the hand.
Samwell becomes a grand maester.
Danny goes mad and breaks the cycle.
Arya goes exploring.
Sansa becomes royalty.
John goes back to his duties on the wall after saving the North.

All this was established in the first episode. Zero point zero surprises. Zero.

The writing was just dreadful. Everything was anti-climatic. The entire show came to an absolute screeching halt. When Danny gets stabbed I’m like “ok, johns taking that dragon and burning these bastards!”. Nope. It flies off after having a tantrum.

Then I’m like “ok...the North showed up with an army. Let’s go!”. Nope. Apparently the unsullied and savages are exempt from being trialed for the mass slaughtering of people and given ships!!!

Why would the unsullied keep Snow alive? The guy was a prisoner long enough to grow a beard.

Why is there still a wall? The walkers are dead. The wildlings are cool now. Do they just hang out there?

Why would Bran get to be king?? Like, nobody understands what the hell he is. He just says really weird s***. Then he says “why do you think I came down here?”. Like, F*** you dude. Did you know this is what was going to happen? Did you know dragons were going to utterly destroy the capital and instead of telling John you just sat there in your bear fur pyjamas?

And the Ironborn! Calling out Cersei as a tyrant while the entire Ironborn fleet is lancing 10 foot arrows at Danny’s dragons! Why would Yara agree to make Bran king given the history of abalone and house Stark/Baratheon?

That last shot around the small council table was like watching the team of GoT misfits. If you pulled together a group of characters I’m least interested in that was pretty much it. And the city is utterly destroyed and what do they talk about? Brothels. Little kids with their faces melted off and these guys are telling jokes.

I would rather John walk up the Danny in front of her army in the first take and stab her in the back Jamie style and die right there and then. Die a martyr.
Mr. Nice Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 12:18 AM   #2928
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
Maybe I should just read the books instead of watching the series again.
I've read all of the books and watched none of the series.With that said, I've been curious to hear how they would end the series since there was no source material and they'd have to create it for the show. Sounds like it was less than stellar.

The real problem now of course is that based on George R.R. Martin's glacial writing pace, and based on his physical health which appears to be less than good, he may never finish the story in print anyway unless he already has it written and publishes the rest of it sometime soon.

I hope he does finish the books and has a much better ending than it sounds like the HBO series did.
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2019, 01:23 AM   #2929
Philintheblank

Well, hopefully this'll serve as a warning to any network that wants to take on a series without the source material being finished.

...of course, that's in regards to the quality of the show. They've made serious bank and are probably pretty happy about it.
Old 05-21-2019, 01:33 AM   #2930
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Well, hopefully this'll serve as a warning to any network that wants to take on a series without the source material being finished.

...of course, that's in regards to the quality of the show. They've made serious bank and are probably pretty happy about it.
And the 47 Emmy Awards.
nearmint is online now   Reply With Quote