Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 05-27-2019, 05:44 PM   #3011
nameivom
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom-El View Post
You guys are probably right...I was wondering if they got sick of GoT and whether Star Wars was already lined up for them.
It wasn't Star Wars, it was going to be another HBO series about the Civil War (planned before season 7 debuted) but with role reversals. African Americans in power and Caucasians in the role of slaves. This was ultimately thrown out due to mixed reactions when it was announced.

But ultimately what hurt season 7 and 8 were that the writers wanted to move on to other things and HBO wanted to decrease the budget. That is why we got less episodes and the whole thing seemed rushed.
nameivom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2019, 08:10 PM   #3012
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by nameivom View Post
It wasn't Star Wars, it was going to be another HBO series about the Civil War (planned before season 7 debuted) but with role reversals. African Americans in power and Caucasians in the role of slaves. This was ultimately thrown out due to mixed reactions when it was announced.
was that the premise? I heard it was supposed to be an alternate history where the south one the way.
MrYac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 05:27 AM   #3013
Rom-El
Blue Falcon

After the end of Game of Thrones, I find myself (to my surprise) missing Cersei. I always liked the intrigue involving her and there was complexity with her and her story. Also because I felt some of that was missing with her in the last season, we didn't get to see that much of her and then it all ended rather abruptly.
Rom-El is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 08:31 AM   #3014
Tushar
Hellboy

Quote:

But ultimately what hurt season 7 and 8 were that the writers wanted to move on to other things and HBO wanted to decrease the budget. That is why we got less episodes and the whole thing seemed rushed.
Didn't HBO go on record saying that they would've been glad to finance more seasons?
Tushar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:26 AM   #3015
Demona
Martian Manhunter

HBO was throwing 8-15 MILLION an episode because they were racking in approximately 27-32 million viewers a season.

No way were they cutting that budget. HBO has lost a ton of subscribers now that GoT is done. It was their flagship series and its illogical that they wanted to decrease the budget. IF that was the case it would be because they wanted more seasons or episodes. Understandable if the case as profits are needed.

What I still hate and can't get over is the writers weren't willing to pass on the reigns to ensure viewers and the series had a proper conclusion and send-off. Everybody involved with the series, from actors to costumers to craft services, deserved better than what the writers gave us. I'm sure Weiss and Benioff don't give a F or regret a thing, they are just cashing their checks and getting more tasty projects. They will forever leave a sour taste in my mouth and I know to not expect complete work from them in the future....so I probably won't invest in it to begin with.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 09:33 AM   #3016
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rom-El View Post
After the end of Game of Thrones, I find myself (to my surprise) missing Cersei. I always liked the intrigue involving her and there was complexity with her and her story. Also because I felt some of that was missing with her in the last season, we didn't get to see that much of her and then it all ended rather abruptly.
She is/was one of my favorite characters. I know I'm supposed to hate her, but I really do love her. She's the same through to til end and is the best player at the Game of Thrones. I look forward to what the books have in store for her because it was very lacking in the last 1.5 seasons of the show.
Old 05-28-2019, 10:39 AM   #3017
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:

The latter seasons had the highest budgets of the series. Those big battles and dragons aren't cheap.

If anything HBO wanted more and if D+D stepped away after season 4 or 5 and HBO got their way with new show runners likely have had ten seasons of ten episodes each. They've never had a cash cow like this, from subscriptions and merchandise. Be like Disney wanting to end the MCU.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 10:40 AM   #3018
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
She is/was one of my favorite characters. I know I'm supposed to hate her, but I really do love her. She's the same through to til end and is the best player at the Game of Thrones. I look forward to what the books have in store for her because it was very lacking in the last 1.5 seasons of the show.
Cersei isn't as likable in the books to me. The actress bled through the character on the show. She is not as clever as she thinks and ticking off the Iron Bank was a major blunder giving Stannis a major advantage.

I don't see it ending well for her and likely dying by Jaime's hands.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 11:10 AM   #3019
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post

Hand.
MrYac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 11:13 AM   #3020
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
Cersei isn't as likable in the books to me. The actress bled through the character on the show. She is not as clever as she thinks and ticking off the Iron Bank was a major blunder giving Stannis a major advantage.

Oh I don't see her ending well either, but she is keeping up with what she started...barely. If anybody was to become a "mad queen" it should be Cersei. And it would be fitting for Jamie to have to kill his one true love because of that. Out of mercy. Out of fear for what she may do to others because he had become a changed man who wasn't into the psychotic nature of their love anymore. I WANTED the show to go that route....but....well.....

I actually find Dany enjoyable in the books far more than the show. I'm interested to see how I feel when the books are done because I HATED her blatant hypocrisy long before she "went mad" in the show.