Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 05-28-2019, 11:28 AM   #3021
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
Oh I don't see her ending well either, but she is keeping up with what she started...barely. If anybody was to become a "mad queen" it should be Cersei. And it would be fitting for Jamie to have to kill his one true love because of that. Out of mercy. Out of fear for what she may do to others because he had become a changed man who wasn't into the psychotic nature of their love anymore. I WANTED the show to go that route....but....well.....

I actually find Dany enjoyable in the books far more than the show. I'm interested to see how I feel when the books are done because I HATED her blatant hypocrisy long before she "went mad" in the show.
I could see Aegon and Euron being characters that challenge and push Dany.

I do keep in the mind in the books she is 13 aging to 15/16 when she is in Mereen so her idealism and outbursts seem more understandable than the show where she is 18 aging to 23 and played by a 22 aging to 32 woman.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 02:41 PM   #3022
Demona
Martian Manhunter

See it's hard to want to remember she is so young because she has already been sold for a kingdom, pregnant and lost a child, and has a male consort, and remarried all before the age of 18. I get what Martin was going for but it's SUPER CREEPY when you think about how badly dudes who are old enough to be her Dad want to bang her - and do.

The show had to age her because no way would any of her story flown.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 02:48 PM   #3023
Mister H
Gen 13

Quote:
I get what Martin was going for but it's SUPER CREEPY
So the books are creepier than the show I’m guessing? Incest, rape, murder etc?
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 02:51 PM   #3024
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
They don't shy away from harsh realities of medieval societies. I understand how this could make some people uncomfortable.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 03:05 PM   #3025
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Well played.

I draw the line at the rape and selling of underage boys and girls. In the show, I remember that whole creepy as F scene with the Kings Guard leader (name escapes me) asking for a woman....and saying "Younger" "Younger".

I know it happens all the time sadly, it's just painful to watch. The books do not constantly remind you of Dany's age so a reader can look past it, but it's always there and is mentioned from time to time.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:39 PM   #3026
Mister H
Gen 13

Well, I’ve read plenty of Steven King books and he has no problem killing sweet old men and women or children for that matter, in brutal ways. So I guess I’ll start reading the books. I guess I’m really curious about all the stuff I hear about that isn’t in the show.
Old 05-30-2019, 03:40 PM   #3027
Mister H
Gen 13

Old 05-30-2019, 06:25 PM   #3028
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Well played.

I draw the line at the rape and selling of underage boys and girls. In the show, I remember that whole creepy as F scene with the Kings Guard leader (name escapes me) asking for a woman....and saying "Younger" "Younger".

I know it happens all the time sadly, it's just painful to watch. The books do not constantly remind you of Dany's age so a reader can look past it, but it's always there and is mentioned from time to time.
that terrible scene was from season 5 and the writing in it really shows how the show was going off the rails.

they were trying super hard to make us know how terrible a person Maron Trant was and pulling no punches in the most ham-fisted way possible, they even threw in a completely irrelevant out of nowhere gay joke at Renley's expense just so we'd super-duper hate him.
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2019, 08:41 AM   #3029
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Well, I’ve read plenty of Steven King books and he has no problem killing sweet old men and women or children for that matter, in brutal ways. So I guess I’ll start reading the books. I guess I’m really curious about all the stuff I hear about that isn’t in the show.
I love King. I've read everything except three books which I'm working on right now (The Bill Hodges series). Despite him murdering, maiming, and resurrecting the elderly and young it's never skeeved me out as much as the thought of book Dany's life.

I will say I have cringed more and had to put King books down due to intensity which I have never done with the GoT series. And I can thank King for mentally f'ing me for life on handcuffs, clowns, and sledgehammers. Wooooo doggie.

But yes - read GoT. I think you will enjoy it.
Old 06-04-2019, 01:57 AM   #3030
Tushar
Hellboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
Cersei isn't as likable in the books to me. The actress bled through the character on the show. She is not as clever as she thinks and ticking off the Iron Bank was a major blunder giving Stannis a major advantage.

I don't see it ending well for her and likely dying by Jaime's hands.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
Hand.
Tushar is offline   Reply With Quote