Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

The Mighty Reviews 6/17/10

Sam Wilson’s Review

Birds of Prey #2
DC Comics
Written by: Gail Simone
Drawn by: Ed Benes and Adriana Melo

Waaay back in 1996 the first Birds of Prey one shot came to us via writer Chuck Dixon and artist Gary Frank. An all-female team book lead by the former Batgirl (aka Barbara Gordon aka Oracle, DCU’s resident super genius), Black Canary (duh), and that was kind of it in the beginning. The concept seemed to resonate with fans, and as time and creative teams changed so did their roster, leading to the birds golden days under writer Gail Simone and penciler Ed Benes. During that era the Huntress, Lady Black Hawk and occasionally Lady Shiva joined Barbara and Black Canary, and yeah. Enter one of my top five books of the last 10 years. Someone who is clearly a genius and a visionary at DC thought it would be a good idea to reunite that team and bring back the birds, and, well, whoever you are, I love you. Seriously…

Last issue the team wasn’t back together yet, Dinah was trying to save a kidnapped child in Iceland and it ended badly (for the kidnapper). She’s been having a rough year though, quitting the JLA, leaving her husband Ollie (never liked him anyway), giving up her kid for adoption a few years back. Dinah could use some friends, which is when Babs calls her back in action, with Lady Black Hawk and the Huntress in tow. They are lured out to GCPD’s headquarters, a new villain has commandeered the bat signal and made it a “bird signal”. This new villain calls herself the White Canary, and she’s pretty bad ass. In issue two we see her easily take down Dinah and the Huntress, and doesn’t do to bad with Hawk and Dove either (the newly resurrected Hawk and the same Dove apparently are on Bab’s speedial). It’s all an elaborate ruse to hide a more sinister plan, and Babs gets caught up in it 100%, with her old team stuck and now suddenly wanted by the police. It’s okay though, the team is back, we got some new members and the new villain is bad ass but kinda hot…

Fans of the old series, rejoice. The girls are back. Gail more or less jumps back in continuity where she left off with the old series, and hasn’t missed a step. I’m a little disappointed Ed Benes only penciled about half of this issue, but its okay, the fill in artist wasn’t too bad. Most importantly, the Birds are back and for the foreseeable future I’m thinking its going to be good…

Wktf’s Reviews

Batman #700
DC Comics
Written by: Grant Morrison
Drawn by: Tony Daniels, Frank Quitely, Scott Kollins, Andy Kubert, David Finch, Richard Friend
Covers by: David Finch, Mike Mignola

I feel I need to restate my position regarding comic books written by Grant Morrison: after having felt cheated out of my money with Batman RIP and Final Crisis, I’d vowed never to spend another red cent on anything Morrison writes. My dislike of his work on X-Men and JLA made me wary of this guy. Then, the absolutely brilliant All-Star Superman had me reconsider his writing (or at least wonder if he’d hired a ghost writer for that book). But, yeah, RIP and Final Crisis were the final straw. I not only felt cheated, but I also felt insulted. So why, one might ask, am I writing a review of Batman #700, which came out last week? Because a kind fellow fan, and also an lcs owner, offered to send a copy to my door, one for which I didn’t have to pay him, with the promise I’d still review the book while keeping true to my vow. I was so surprised to receive this offer I simply had to say “yes” to it.

And, having read this comic as promised I’m left wondering why it is that Grant Morrison’s editors continue to let him slam around, unchecked an seemingly unedited, through their books. Is there both a theme and a common element holding this three part story together? There certainly is. But is Morrison able to hold the story elements together into a cohesive, compelling and engaging package? Even with a stable of incredibly talented artists? No, I’m afraid not. This “Giant-Sized Anniversary Issue” is broken up into four parts, each with its own artist…or, at least, so it was intended. The first part is a Silver Age story of Bruce Wayne as Batman and Dick Grayson as Robin, drawn by Tony Daniels and titled “Yesterday.” The second is “Today” with Dick as Batman and Damian Wayne as Robin, drawn primarily by Frank Quitely but finished up for some reason by Scott Kollins. “Tomorrow” is a segment with Damian as the Batman of the future, something we first saw back in Batman #666, and then the second “Tomorrow” installment shows us a number of different future Batman scenarios drawn by modern superstar David Finch in his first interior work for DC Comics. In the very back is a pretty cool pin up gallery of The Dark Knight by such luminaries as Dustin Nguyen, Tim Sale, Bill Sienkiewicz, Phillip Tan (doing his best Jim Lee) and others. Finally, we’re presented with a panoramic view of the Batcave, kind of like what Kirby used to do in his diagrams of Asgard.

But back to the story. While the first part actually is relatively engaging, showing the Dynamic Duo in some dire straits against a gaggle of their most notorious Silver Age foes, it also brings back another Silver Age character in Dr. Nichols and his time traveling hypnosis machine, who turns out to be a character who factors into each segment of this running storyline. Though there’s no actual reference to Dr. Nichols’ history with Batman, thus potentially confusing the reader given there obviously familiar relationship, this segment moves along pretty engagingly in terms of both story and art. Daniels does a really terrific job capturing the Silver Age feel of these characters, especially The Joker, while still infusing them with the menace required for today’s readers. In the next segment, though, the story really starts to break down. Quitely’s art is as sharp and dynamic as always, and his gymnastically choreographed fight scenes always are fun to watch. There’s even a prequel kind of introduction to Frank Miller’s Mutant gang who show up later, in terms of time continuity, in The Dark Knight Returns. And the tribute to Bruce’s tradition to keep crime out of Crime Alley on the anniversary of Thomas and Martha Wayne’s murder is a nice touch. But the reference back to Dr. Nichols as this Batman and Robin find themselves trying to solve a murder mystery, doesn’t really carry through in any meaningful way. And, though Morrison does a good job here capturing the relationship between Dick and Damian, this story seems to drift on its own in what feels like a pretty random direction.

That randomness hits home in the segment most impressively drawn by Andy Kubert. Here, well in the future, Damian now is Batman but acting in a most un-Batman-like way, actually leaving a fallen thug to be consumed by rats. Batman may be harsh in his methods, but he’s not supposed to be a killer, even if Damian is. How this kid earned the right to be Batman is beyond me, and the riff on two major Batman villains in this story just feel absurd for absurdity’s sake. Top this off with a segment even further in the future, with several future Batmans (including what appears to be Terry McGuinness’ first in-continuity appearance) and this story just wraps up with what feels like a Batman anthem. Really, this issue adds nothing to Batman lore and feels pretty disconnected and even confusing. Despite assistance from some smokin’ hot artists, this $4.99 piece of convoluted eye candy simply isn’t worth the price.

The New Avengers #1
Marvel Comics
Written by: Brian Michael Bendis
Drawn by: Stuart Immonen
Cover by: Stuart Immonen

Well, here we are with another Avengers book Bendis is kicking off. And not a moment too soon. With the flagship totally above board Avengers title now underway, Steve Rogers’ covert Secret Avengers book launched, and with the big three’s relationship problems repairs underway in Avengers Prime, this is the book that promises to be the less formal, less intimidating, but still above board and maybe even more enjoyable New Avengers! Yes, folks, unlike the Osborn days when the New Avengers were meeting in Bucky’s apartment or someone else’s basement, this team of New Avengers actually hold residence in the newly renovated Avengers Mansion! The Avengers Mansion! Damn, it is just so good to see this building again after it was destroyed so many years ago in Avengers #500. Luke Cage and Steve have some words which we knew were coming from Luke’s response to Rogers’ call, but the former Cap is nothing if not a straight shooter and Cage suddenly finds himself with marching orders he can live with: be an Avengers team on your own terms, pick your own partners, live in Avengers Mansion, and go out and save the world.

And this is a team that promises to be a lot of fun. Not that The Avengers can’t be fun but the Bucky/Cap, Iron Man, Thor mix lends some formality and weight to that group from which this group simply doesn’t suffer: Cage, Jewel, Ms. Marvel, Iron Fist, Wolverine, Spider-Man, Hawkeye, Mockingbird and…Aunt Petunia’s bashful blue-eyed ever lovin’ Thing! Yes, The Thing is an absolutely inspired choice. Now, how Spider-Man, Hawkeye, and Wolverine manage to function on two Avengers teams is beyond me. Hell, Wolverine’s also on multiple X-Men teams. Oh, and Ben’s still in the FF. But, hey, this is comic books where anything’s possible, and where Wolverine can claim that multi-tasking is his actual mutant power.

Bendis and Immonen combined for some pretty golden book previously on New Avengers. Immonen’s strong, clean line work seem tailor made for this book and he draws every character with style and power. His Thing does look a little Muppet-like, but in a John Byrne tribute kind of way. And his cover to this book is killer. I really like that they’re re-integrating Dr. Strange, Son of Satan and Dr. Voodoo after the prior New Avengers arc where Voodoo was named Sorcerer Supreme. And, in doing so, this team’s first threat is realized as the book moves forward and becomes more fully displayed (though the source of the threat still is unknown) by the end. At any rate, this is a first rate beginning to a first rate book. Breezy, fun dialogue. Solid relationships. A strong and working foundation with a credible and wonderful set up. Absolutely solid superhero art. What more could you ask? This book promises to be nothing but fun.

The Incredible Hulk #610
Marvel Comics
Written by: Greg Pak
Drawn by: Paul Pelletier
Cover by: John Romita, Jr.

Okay, well, I actually hadn’t prepared to review this book. Honestly, I’ve barely been following it. Ever since Loeb took over the primary Hulk writing and Pak seemed to be focusing his post-WWHulk efforts on The Incredible Hercules, I’d been picking up Incredible Hulk just to see what Pak could do with this book while, it seemed, Loeb was in the driver seat on Hulk. Loeb had become for Marvel what Morrison now is for DC. A phenomenal money maker who turns out pure drek, with the occasional stroke of genius. But, since I haven’t been reading Hulk, following along with Incredible Hulk has been a little frustrating and confusing, but I’ve done so out of some loyalty to what Pak ‘s done before on this title, hoping it would start to pay off. Well, with this issue, it certainly has in a major way.

Going into this issue, even after having read the previous issues, all I knew was that Skaar still is out to kill his father, The Hulk, who’s been out of pocket since Red Hulk drained Banner of his gamma ray infusion. The Leader and his cohorts had capture the world’s smartest men, including Banner, Richards, Pym, McCoy, and Doom, and was draining their brain power to serve his own need. The various heroes who’d joined Banner to save these other captives (Banner was captured trying to rescue his friends), such as Namor, Spider-Man and Thor had been “Hulked-Out” and now were menaces. But with Earth’s geniuses now free, Banner devises a plan to drain them of the gamma power that’s changed them into monsters. Ah, but where must that gamma power go? In a four panel moment, part of which looks like a brilliant tribute to Jack Kirby, and on the following page that looks like a tribute to a moment in World War Hulk, that question is answered in the most spectacular two-page spread fashion.

I seriously didn’t follow too closely what was going on in this issue, and the details of how everything was happening. But I can tell you that the payoff was pure gold. Pelletier, inked just beautifully by Danny Miki who does such great work over David Finch’s pencils, has produced one of the most seriously action packed, frenetic and loudest comics since Howard Chaykin reimagined the Challengers of the Unknown. This issue was a rollercoaster ride the entire way through leading up to a major, major payoff and the promise of a concluding issue, next issue, that should be the slobber knocker of the year. Absolutely my pick of the week.

The Lone Ranger #22
Dynamite Entertainment
Written by: Brett Matthews
Drawn by: Sergio Cariello
Cover by: John Cassaday

Everything has gone from bad to worse for The Lone Ranger and Tonto as Cavandish, the man who murdered the troupe of Texas Rangers and led John Reid to don the mask and ride the white horse, has targeted our heroes for revenge for the trouble they’ve caused his business and life. The Ranger doesn’t know Cavendish was responsible for his father and brother’s murder, Cavendish doesn’t know this hero is the sole survivor of the massacre he perpetrated. But everything that’s happened in the years since this series launched seems to have led to this very arc, titled “Resolve,” where these two opposing forces must meet. But first, it seems, there will be blood.

Having had his men track The Lone Ranger’s comings and goings, his widowed sister-in-law now is in deadly danger. Cavendish’s men attacked her and her son in their home, the home where the mines for silver bullets are sourced, while the Lone Ranger and Tonto had left to investigate Cavendish’s whereabouts and plans. What they learn sends them speeding back home. But will they be too late? And, leaving no stone or important relationship unturned, Cavendish also sets his sights on a sheriff who, for the last several issues, had befriended Reid and his “savage” partner. Seeking to destroy his soul and spirit, the sadistic and murderous Cavendish is a villain who’s showing depth and depravity worthy of The Joker, The Red Skull and other legendary comic book villains.

This issue packed all the tension I’ve come to expect from this title yet, somehow, I also expected this issue to be the final showdown between these two adversaries. Not so. In fact, as Cavendish continues to stay one step ahead of the Ranger I’m not sure if these two actually will meet, or if the Ranger and Tonto will just race desperately, and always a little too late, to the places where Cavendish just has been. As always, powerful art and storytelling combine to make this book at the top of my reading list whenever it comes out. Recommended, and anxiously awaiting next issue.

Wktf’s Trade Review

Timely Comics HC
Marvel Comics
Written by: James Robinson, Roy Thomas, Mark Schultz, Scott Snyder, Tom DeFalco, Jen Van Meter, Roger Stern, John Arcudi, Marc Guggenheim, Karl Kessel, Mechael Kupperman, David Lapham, David Liss
Drawn by: Marcos Martin, Mitch Breitweiser, Al Williamson, Scott Wegener, Chris Bunham, Andy MacDonald, Paolo Rivera, Steve Ellis, Javier Pulido, Michael Kupperman, Alejandro Arbona, Steve Uy, David Lapham, Jason Armstrong,
Original Covers by: Marcos Martin, Mitch Breitweiser, Adi Granov, Paolo Rivera, Dale Eaglesham, Coint Langley, Russ Heath, Daniel Acuna, Juan Doe, Clint Langley

Last year, as part of their 70th Anniversary efforts, Marvel put out a series of comics under the Timely brand with modern telling of tales that took place during WWII. These comics gave us the adventures of Captain America, The Human Torch, Sub-Mariner, The Angel, Miss America, The Young Allies, The Destroyer, The Blond Phantom (remember when Byrne brought her back in his She-Hulk comic?), The All Winners Squad, The Vision (the original, from which Roy Thomas drew inspiration when he created his similarly looking character in The Avengers), and The Phantom Reporter. Marvel intentionally gave this stories and their covers a cool kind of retro feel while also making them approachable and relevant to today’s market. All these stories are collected here in this nicely packaged oversized HC and every story, individually, is well worth the read. Collected together they make a fun and engaging tribute anthology collection commemorating Marvel’s very beginning as they were first making their way into the comic book industry.

People considering this volume may be doing so primarily for the Captain America, Sub-Mariner and, to a lesser degree maybe, The Original Human Torch stories which, combined, account for about a third of this trade’s page volume. And by themselves these stories are pretty terrific. The Captain America tale by James Robinson and Marcos Martin actually is a cool and imaginative story about the pre-Cap Steve Rogers, as told by Bucky Barnes, as he ponders and articulates what it is that makes Captain America great. And the Sub-Mariner story, as illustrated by Mitch Breitweiser and scripted by Roy Thomas who put several productive years on the character when he first got his own post-Tales to Astonish title back in the ‘60s, dives deep into Namor’s conflicting emotions about the surface world and where his allegiances should lie while also showing Namor’s capability not only for rage and violence but also to learn and mature. The Human Torch story, written by Scott Snyder and illustrated by Scott Wegener, actually explores the all too human sensibilities of the character at a time, intentionally ironically, when his outer shell is stripped to its artificial android husk. All of these stories are intriguing, exciting, fun and even thought provoking.

But as we go beyond these stories of the “big three,” we find other tales of lesser known characters that are action-packed and exciting while still carrying that cool retro feel I mentioned earlier. Of particular note, though, are the Young Allies and Destroyer pieces. In the first, scripted by talented veteran Roger Stern and beautifully and darkly illustrated by Paolo Rivera is told by the modern Captain America, Bucky Barnes in his new role, as he stumbles across the grave stone of Sgt. Duffy during a late December walk through Arlington Cemetery. Duffy, of course, was the surly Sergeant who berated private Steve Rogers so badly during Stan and Jack’s WWII Cap stories in Tales of Suspense. This causes him to reflect back to his days at Camp Lehigh when he began his career as Captain America’s partner but also joined an alliance with Toro and four other teens that become the Young Allies. Buck then comes across a single grave with two names entered but two names missing from these four allies and, thus, begins a search to find the two still alive. His search leads him to a hospital where one of the two lies dying with the other at his side, another tale of their WWII adventures ensues, followed by a final and poignant tribute to Bucky four friends. The Destroyer piece brings this bizarre and powerful character on a speeding and violent ride, battling and killing Nazis as he goes, back to the place of his origin. With him he brings Emil, a German journalist who loves his country but hates the Nazis, to take him to the Hell on Earth the Nazi engine created while no one was watching, in hopes that someone would bring this horrible truth to the world. Special mention must go to Steve Ellis’ pencils that bring John Arcudi’s story to dark, violent and horrid life.

Though, certainly, the stories mentioned above are the standout stories of this collection I can recommend this oversized HC volume with great confidence even if you have to pay the retail price of $39.99 to get it.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 12:28 PM   #2
rilynil
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Great reviews!

New Avengers No. 1 was the best comic I've read in a long while. Man, that was a blast! Cage has become one of my favorite characters in the last several years (which is surprising to me because I was rather indifferent to him back in the 1970s).

Bendis is da man.
rilynil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 01:57 PM   #3
kal-el
Statue Forum MacDaddy

Joe:
I knew you would review the Lone Ranger # 22. That is the only book that I have read so far this week. Loved the cover and the book hasn't disappointed me yet. It's just too bad that the book ships every three months or so. Love the creative team and the book.I'm sure this arc will conclude with issue # 25. Another year to wait, but well worth it.
kal-el is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 02:44 PM   #4
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by kal-el View Post
Joe:
I knew you would review the Lone Ranger # 22. That is the only book that I have read so far this week. Loved the cover and the book hasn't disappointed me yet. It's just too bad that the book ships every three months or so. Love the creative team and the book.I'm sure this arc will conclude with issue # 25. Another year to wait, but well worth it.
Thanks, man. Gotta keep showing this book love, right? More people need to be reading it!!!
Old 06-17-2010, 04:30 PM   #5
lord odin

Grant Morrison has killed all my interest in Batman it's just amazing how one writer can just destroy all enjoyment out of my favorite DC character.
I can't even read anything if it has his name on it that's just how much I hate his writing.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 02:43 AM   #6
supahman
I don't have a solution but I admire the problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Thanks, man. Gotta keep showing this book love, right? More people need to be reading it!!!
I am reading it in trades since i was late to the party... Not gonna read dis review..

I was confused by Batman 700 too.. siigghh.. had to read it again.. and left it midway.. but i dunno.. m still hooked onto Morrison.. Dunno wht is wrong with me..
supahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010, 03:42 AM   #7
Ryu
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Didn't pick up any of those books. I'm staying away from Bendis and Morrison's mainstream stuff. But I will be getting Birds of Prey #2 and American Vampire #4.
Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 02:12 AM   #8
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

I need to pickup Birds of Prey #2. But I'm kind of worried that they are using a fill in artist already. You think they would have this scheduled right since they are starting a new series. Benes is bringing his best work too.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:51 AM   #9
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rilynil View Post
Great reviews!

New Avengers No. 1 was the best comic I've read in a long while. Man, that was a blast! Cage has become one of my favorite characters in the last several years (which is surprising to me because I was rather indifferent to him back in the 1970s).

Bendis is da man.
Don't know why this came to me over the weekend but, in Iron Man's own book, Stark's flat broke. So, I wonder how he financed the rebuilding of Avenger's Mansion...

On a different note, to your point, really loved the exchanges between Cage and Victoria Hand, both the first distrustful exchange and then when he welcomed her to the team.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:58 AM   #10
lord odin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
Quote:
Don't know why this came to me over the weekend but, in Iron Man's own book, Stark's flat broke. So, I wonder how he financed the rebuilding of Avenger's Mansion...
On a different note, to your point, really loved the exchanges between Cage and Victoria Hand, both the first distrustful exchange and then when he welcomed her to the team.
Well Thor is worth billions but Tony didn't take him up on his offer of money so i'm going with a loose editorial from Bendis.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote