Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 10-27-2017, 12:20 PM   #7151
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FROBAY View Post
Sure they would. Sadly I'm betting this and the new Hulk bust is vinyl.
I'd say it's probably Fiberglass, like the Batman and Green Lantern LiSB
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 12:23 PM   #7152
FROBAY
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
I'd say it's probably Fiberglass, like the Batman and Green Lantern LiSB
I'm okay with fiberglass, most my life size Busts and movie replicas are.

I miss the days of the solid polystone stuff. I remember trying to get the original 50lb Hulk PF out of the damn box. Good old days.

Sideshow why not be up front about material instead of being vague and saying made from resin. Resin can be almost anything. Plastic Resin, Poly resin..etc

Last edited by FROBAY; 10-27-2017 at 12:25 PM.
FROBAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 12:25 PM   #7153
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezhil View Post
Guys wake up. this is atleast 50% plastic
There is no way to say that for certain. Bane and Killer Croc were both Polystone for the base and body. To say that because the Swamp Thing and Predator Bust were PVC/Vinyl that all things will now swing that way is paranoid. Is there a chance? Yes, but let's not run-away with it just yet.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:25 PM   #7154
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FROBAY View Post
I'm okay with fiberglass, most my life size Busts and movie replicas are.

I miss the days of the solid polystone stuff. I remember trying to get the original 50lb Hulk PF out of the damn box. Good old days.
I'm fine with it as well, it holds detail well and still has a nice a feel to it.
Old 10-27-2017, 12:33 PM   #7155
GaryTonge
Kingpin

I really don't care for super heavy pieces personally, but definitely don't want PVC either.

I've been collecting most of the XM Spidey villains and they are insanely heavy. It makes them very awkward to lift. It also makes them expensive to ship.

Fibreglass is a great material. My Rhino CQ is light, but it looks like resin/polystone.

PVC looks like plastic. I don't know if it's the sheen, or the way light reflects off of it, but it makes them very toy like. My 1/6 Koto pieces they definitely have more of a plastic look when compared to my Bowens.
GaryTonge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 12:39 PM   #7156
Josh-a-tron
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryTonge View Post
I really don't care for super heavy pieces personally, but definitely don't want PVC either.

I've been collecting most of the XM Spidey villains and they are insanely heavy. It makes them very awkward to lift. It also makes them expensive to ship.

Fibreglass is a great material. My Rhino CQ is light, but it looks like resin/polystone.

PVC looks like plastic. I don't know if it's the sheen, or the way light reflects off of it, but it makes them very toy like. My 1/6 Koto pieces they definitely have more of a plastic look when compared to my Bowens.
Some of that is because they don't prime PVC pieces because PVC takes acrylic paint without it. If they primed the entire piece you wouldn't get that look.
Old 10-27-2017, 02:43 PM   #7157
Gecktechs
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

The response I received from Michelle at SS after asking what the production pieces would be made of. Nothing concrete but it's something.. If it's only the armor thats made of PVC like the He-Man and Skeletor statues, I think I'll be ok with that. Those pieces came out flawless IMO - just like the proto's. Hopefully thats the case with Thanos.

Gecktechs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 02:46 PM   #7158
risingstar
Jedi Order

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gecktechs View Post
Nothing concrete but it's something.. If it's only the armor thats made of PVC like the He-Man and Skeletor statues, I think I'll be ok with that. Those pieces came out flawless IMO - just like the proto's. Hopefully thats the case with Thanos.

If the craftsmanship she is referring to reflects the Man of Steel PF and Predator LSB, surely she can understand the backlash. I think people would warm up to a different medium if they were convinced of its superiority over what they are already paying big bucks for. I think what we're seeing is a distrust from some fans, though it's difficult to determine how widespread that distrust is, if at all. Sideshow appears committed to include PVC either partially or entirely in their production process. Thinking out loud: perhaps it would be easier for fans to accept if:

1) Prices went down, at least a bit - but doing so would risk sending the message that PVC a cheaper process, which might defeat Sideshow's purpose in trying to sell the medium as a superior or more reliable process to a reluctant fanbase. This almost sounds like a lose-lose scenario.

2) Present the fanbase with an attractive production PVC sample and not a beautifully painted polystone statue. This might be exactly what fans need to see. Convince them, as opposed to asking fans to buy on faith when they think they only have the Man of Steel and the Predator LSB to serve as reference.

3) Perhaps offering a satisfaction guarantee on the first few PVC pieces so fans could feel more at ease might help.

Speaking for myself, I really really want to keep an open mind but what I have seen so far suggests there's something left to be desired from this PVC process. I don't think there's anything wrong with fans wanting or needing to be convinced this is the better way to go.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 02:56 PM   #7159
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

I legit don't know what I will do if this comes as PVC. I'm going to try to not think about it until it is actually in hand and setup on my shelf. Only then will I be able to tell if I love it or not. I know that at least for now I would NEVER buy a "statue" made of plastic.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 02:59 PM   #7160
nearmint
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones View Post
I legit don't know what I will do if this comes as PVC. I'm going to try to not think about it until it is actually in hand and setup on my shelf. Only then will I be able to tell if I love it or not. I know that at least for now I would NEVER buy a "statue" made of plastic.
'

It certainly didn't look like plastic in San Diego.
nearmint is offline   Reply With Quote