Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 08-24-2008, 06:16 PM   #31
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

good question.

I can't really say ... in general, I find it difficult to find a page I like in the range I want ... commissions seem to be easier ... tough call

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:46 PM   #32
doom__1
A day without sunshine is like... night.

I like published pages, parts of comic book history. I collect for the art, and story. If I was only art, then commissions are the way to go. I have a few commissions, and I always look and check out artist to get ones done, but I never pull the trigger and end up using that money to buy a published page.
And with the sell everything thread, I very rarely sell a page and the ones I did was to raise cash for a better page or a page I really wanted. But I have slowed buying way down. Pages I want are crazy money, but I don't have much room to put up any more pages. And I agree with what Drew said, people change what they collect all the time and shift their funds to afford the new hobby. I used to be big into baseball cards (still have most of them), but shifted into comic art 8 years ago, been collecting ever since and might pick up a page from time to time but not like a few years ago when pages were affordable.
also, on the published vs commission, commission page is more personal and for you, like a personalized autograph, usually not something that will appreciate in value. If I buy a commission I am not looking to flip it, because I don't think they jump in value (I don't flip anything). Plus collectors are not looking for that commission. Where as published art is a part of history, millions has seen the pictures and art, read the story, and I would think published has more appeal, appreciation, and overall value. And like Drew said, he likes the story, the themes of the published pages.
of course there are exceptions, Dell'otto, Mignola, commissions (if you can get one) by great artist will be high in demand. Get what you like and can afford, don't worry about resale value, and you will be happy. But I like published pages, I like the story that is attached to the art
doom__1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2008, 07:52 PM   #33
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

When I save my cash, it is always with the goal of getting a good page of original artwork from a comic. Commissions are fun to get at conventions but OA is the best for me.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 02:55 AM   #34
The Batfan
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.

commissions , I like the point that its something of MINE one of a kind, yes published art is one of a kind but everyone in the world can own the comic with it in it to me its great to give an artist an idea you would like and then poof its yours and only yours. But I have started picking up more published stuff but only if its a page or such I really like. sadly I see original art starting to go the way of golden and silver age comics in the 90's people are buying to as an investment YES its real art like a picasso or etc but I think you should buy art because its something you like not cause you hope to make money off it in the future.
The Batfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:22 PM   #35
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

I prefer published art, but I'll take any artist's intepretation of Caiera.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:33 PM   #36
mwf6171
internet forum tough guy

Location: Gore/Aussie Land!!! well Kansas City, MO actually..
I prefer published art, but I appreciate commissions and have several of pages of original art as well as several commissions. I actually have more commissions than published art at the moment.
mwf6171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 07:39 PM   #37
Wolverine1
SNIKT!!! Keeping the pimp hand strong! Rot Minister of Nocturnal Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwf6171 View Post
I prefer published art, but I appreciate commissions and have several of pages of original art as well as several commissions. I actually have more commissions than published art at the moment.
LIES!
Wolverine1 is offline   Reply With Quote