Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Sculptor's Pit Stop

Old 11-04-2014, 06:36 PM   #11
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

I can attest to it being expensive but if it's something that's unique and you know it's never gonna be created commercially then save up and get the best to do it. You will be happy you did.
Old 11-05-2014, 03:10 AM   #12
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
I can attest to it being expensive but if it's something that's unique and you know it's never gonna be created commercially then save up and get the best to do it. You will be happy you did.
True, but I'm also thinking 'long term', for example, if / when I retire and I'm in reasonable health, then I'll have a hobby I can throw myself into and possibly even get better.

I can imagine taking months or even years working on a piece, but because you're experiencing the whole journey from concept through to final product every second is a second well spent. I think the end product will mean more to the individual than if they'd simply paid someone else to do it.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 08:58 AM   #13
Dark Logic
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
To be honest, the only reason why I wrote what I did was because I was one of those people

1/4 scale commissions are savagely expensive (YMMV) so you really need to consider if the subject matter is really worth the investment.

My chosen direction now is to invest in my own (home) studio and equipment (3D sculpting, 3D printing, etc) and learn to do it myself.....that way I can not only benefit from having whatever subject matter I want, but I can enjoy the journey as well.
Im looking into that as well. My only dilemma is that the large resin machines are crazy expensive. What have you seen price wise?
Dark Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 01:23 PM   #14
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

I'm still at the building stage for the studio just had planning permission approved, which is a great step, at least in the UK.

I'm counting on the tech getting cheaper in the next few years, so hopefully, by the time I have something that warrants printing the price won't be so savage.

The main focus, once the studio is built, will be the design hardware, and mastering the 3D programme. It might even be that the first few sculpts will be outsourced for printing.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote