Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 02-02-2012, 12:59 AM   #9791
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellboy View Post
Did you see the Drive Mondo print thats going up tomorrow Tony?
As of tonight, I'd buy it.

Drive - 9/10; Los Angeles' skyline has never looked better (nice to see the city representing itself, since principal photography for the majority of films, regardless of where the movie's setting is, tends to take place in L.A. and its studios (or in Canada )). The city looked gorgeous.

The music was fantastic, as was the absence of it.. and the absence of any and all sound, when appropriate.

A linear movie that we've "seen before", but with some serious surprises in store for the viewer.

Gosling was fantastic. Someone on Voices told me that Hugh Jackman was initially slated for the role under a different director, but I'm glad it came to Ryan instead. A very quiet actor, he was ideal for this part. No brooding, no over-acting.. just a man making decisions and carrying them out, with some of his subdued humanity pokin' through every so often.

I would easily buy its soundtrack, and a Mondo poster representing it.

I would definitely add this to my Blu-Ray collection.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 01:01 AM   #9792
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Great supporting cast, too... Albert and Ron were on point.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:09 AM   #9793
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Glad to hear you liked it Ryan, I had a feeling you would. I need to pickup the soundtrack as well. Super tempted by that Mondo print too.

I agree about the skyline. A lot of those shots were quite reminiscent of a Michael Mann film. IMO no Director represents LA better than Mann but Nicolas Winding Refn did a fantastic job of capturing the essence of the city.

Concerning the role of Driver I honestly couldn't see this film having the impact it did with anyone but Gosling in the title role. He owned it. His confidence set the tone and carried the film.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:21 AM   #9794
bat_collector
Galactus

Drive 7/10 I was afraid this was going to be over-hyped, and it was in IMO. Soundtrack is great, beautifully shot, and good, solid performances all around. But this DRAGGED at the beginning. And I honestly think Ryan Gosling has had better roles (Half Nelson, Lars and the Real Girl, Blue Valentine). And I would prefer to see those movies to this one.
bat_collector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 02:22 AM   #9795
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Mann's "Collateral" had a similar feel, and similar shots of Los Angeles. That's a great flick, as well. I'm assuming that's the film you're referring to, anyways. Gah... need to pick that one up on BD, also.

Yeah, I couldn't see someone other than Gosling in the role, either. Very introspective, which is what the part calls for.

Quote:
Glad to hear you liked it Ryan, I had a feeling you would. I need to pickup the soundtrack as well. Super tempted by that Mondo print too.

I agree about the skyline. A lot of those shots were quite reminiscent of a Michael Mann film. IMO no Director represents LA better than Mann but Nicolas Winding Refn did a fantastic job of capturing the essence of the city.

Concerning the role of Driver I honestly couldn't see this film having the impact it did with anyone but Gosling in the title role. He owned it. His confidence set the tone and carried the film.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:34 AM   #9796
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonus View Post
Mann's "Collateral" had a similar feel, and similar shots of Los Angeles. That's a great flick, as well. I'm assuming that's the film you're referring to, anyways. Gah... need to pick that one up on BD, also.
Yeah Collateral is the first film that came to mind with those shots. Mann illustrated with that film, probably more than any other, just how well he knows the city and how beautiful he can make it look. Collateral is a brilliant film in its own right and a great BD, I highly recommend it.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:40 AM   #9797
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

"Now it's your turn to clean up after me."

Brutal.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:59 AM   #9798
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argonus View Post
"Now it's your turn to clean up after me."

Brutal.
A side of Albert Brooks I never thought I'd see.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:01 AM   #9799
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
A side of Albert Brooks I never thought I'd see.
No doubt; last movie I saw him in was "The In-Laws". Yeargh.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:11 AM   #9800
Luminous
Cyclops

Good to see people are enjoying Drive. Caught it in the theater, but I may have to add it to my collection.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote