Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 02-18-2019, 12:57 PM   #181
Silas Loki
A.I.M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gokanma View Post
Would have also liked her figure to be a tad more slimmer in the legs/thighs (more in line with the true Alita). Again, personal preference.
I think if they reduced her dimensions anymore we'd stray into child territory - a place where so many Manga products don't fear to tread. Unfortunately Japan's obsession with sexualized child characters simply wouldn't translate well for a western audience. Either we'd interpret the character as a child, which would then propel the franchise into the "Spy kids" arena - or.....well, the other alternative is best left in the land of the rising Sun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
I’m currently really interested in seeing how the Dune remake turns out.
I'd also love to see Dune transformed into film and statue formats.....but I have little to no Faith this can be done effectively. The books are amazing, and deal with concepts that would be really hard to translate onto the big screen.....at least in a way that has mass market appeal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidLiquidFox View Post
The CGI for this character was VERY well done, but overall the movie was totally forgettable. I won't be spending any money on collectibles for it.

I have a feeling Alita stuff will be offered at heavy discounts in a few years.
I'll take my chance. but then I don't buy statues because the accompanying film, I buy because the characterisation and sculpt appeal to a certain aesthetic that resonates with me.....I love Sci Fi, Cyberpunk, and medieval fantasy.....she ticks two out of three boxes.
Silas Loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:23 PM   #182
Chargersfan57
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

I definitely didn't think the movie was forgettable! As a matter of fact, right after I saw it, I wanted to see it again!

It was nowhere near the best movie ever but I'd be lying if I didn't say I thoroughly enjoyed it, and I really hope for a sequel.
Chargersfan57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:44 PM   #183
DPmaster
A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking.

Very enjoyable movie for me. Has me thinking about getting this piece now
DPmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 02:50 PM   #184
myskye23
Hellboy

Saw this movie over the weekend and I thought it was a really good one as well. My wife and I went to see it without knowing anything about the Source Material and she loved it! There wasn't a dull moment and the story kept us intrigued and entertained so it's worth the price of admission. Definitely worth a second viewing!

I wouldn't mind getting the statue but unfortunately, there are other ones that I have in front of it for PO.
myskye23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:18 PM   #185
Viper245
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
I'll take my chance. but then I don't buy statues because the accompanying film, I buy because the characterisation and sculpt appeal to a certain aesthetic that resonates with me.....I love Sci Fi, Cyberpunk, and medieval fantasy.....she ticks two out of three boxes.
I agree. I loved the film and plan to support it by seeing it multiple times in the theater. It terms of this piece, I decided to order the deluxe version because it resonates with me a great deal on multiple levels as well and stands on its own as a well executed piece with some amazing detail. The fact that it is tied to a film that I love is icing on the cake.
Viper245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 03:55 PM   #186
actionjackson83
Midnighter

Prime 1 timed the release of this PO with the film's release perfectly. The studios should do this more often.
actionjackson83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:43 PM   #187
V4XCollect
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonic Boom View Post
So far made $131M vs a $170M budget. Not sure what other expenses were involved....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
Umm I think you're not totally understanding how much the studio actually takes....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguargod View Post
For almost all of the major studios, they get 100% of the box office take for the first two weeks....
Oy... film financials...

I've had to deal with seeing the studio's financial apps and it's just utter madness... I do not envy accounting teams in the media industry...

The % for all parties involved can change movie by movie based on numerous factors including the demand of the movie, the season of the year, competing movies, previous contracts, expiring ones, country laws/taxes, duration of theatrical release, etc...

So basically, only the team at 20th Century Fox really knows how Alita's financials will break down and if it would be profitable after all financial channels including consumer products (such as statues...)

If you're interested in learning more, a site we usually send folks who are interested at the studio (even if it's from a UK lens) is quite useful:
https://stephenfollows.com/how-a-cin...s-distributed/

Another interesting article was the breakdown of how Tom Cruise was paid on Valkrie:
https://stephenfollows.com/much-tom-cruise-paid/

And the go-to site for any film financials is Box Office Mojo:
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=alita.htm
V4XCollect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 04:43 PM   #188
V4XCollect
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by actionjackson83 View Post
Prime 1 timed the release of this PO with the film's release perfectly. The studios should do this more often.
+1
V4XCollect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:33 PM   #189
Phoenixblazes
Crime Syndicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by V4XCollect View Post
Oy... film financials...

I've had to deal with seeing the studio's financial apps and it's just utter madness... I do not envy accounting teams in the media industry...

The % for all parties involved can change movie by movie based on numerous factors including the demand of the movie, the season of the year, competing movies, previous contracts, expiring ones, country laws/taxes, duration of theatrical release, etc...

So basically, only the team at 20th Century Fox really knows how Alita's financials will break down and if it would be profitable after all financial channels including consumer products (such as statues...)

If you're interested in learning more, a site we usually send folks who are interested at the studio (even if it's from a UK lens) is quite useful:
https://stephenfollows.com/how-a-cin...s-distributed/

Another interesting article was the breakdown of how Tom Cruise was paid on Valkrie:
https://stephenfollows.com/much-tom-cruise-paid/

And the go-to site for any film financials is Box Office Mojo:
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/
https://www.boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=alita.htm
Which was why I use general rule of thumbs and round average %, because as you mentioned there are way too many unknown factors which determine the Studios actual take, on any given film.
Phoenixblazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2019, 07:55 AM   #190
Gokanma
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas Loki View Post
I think if they reduced her dimensions anymore we'd stray into child territory - a place where so many Manga products don't fear to tread. Unfortunately Japan's obsession with sexualized child characters simply wouldn't translate well for a western audience. Either we'd interpret the character as a child, which would then propel the franchise into the "Spy kids" arena - or.....well, the other alternative is best left in the land of the rising Sun.
I agree with that viewpoint and it makes sense, however I have watched the film twice now and even in the film she is definitely slimmer/tighter in the legs/thighs than the statue. So it is weird the statue deviated in the body and made her a tad thicker.
Gokanma is offline   Reply With Quote