Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Iron Studios

Old 05-01-2023, 05:24 PM   #21
Phoenixblazes
Hawkman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peedi View Post
Right, my exact point. If I just want Spidey, Green Goblin and Doctor Octopus as my display, Spidey looks weird being attacked by a giant tongue. It only goes with Venom.

And also like I said before, the giant tongue is just weird. I?ve read a lot of Venom, certainly not everything, I don?t remember him doing anything like that before.

Also when I think about Sinister Six my mind defaults to the originals but I forgot literally any Spidey rogue gets thrown into the S6. Every media version makes up their own team. And for the past 20 years writers just throw any random on the team. I?m guessing Venom is included in this version of the S6.
Have you read any of the Ultimate stuff, as I think it has had similar depictions.
Phoenixblazes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 01:20 AM   #22
alshadow
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iko Iko View Post
Iron Studios's prices have been nuts lately. Their 1/10 pieces used to be fun to collect when they were $90-$100.
I totally agree. Though I'm actually surprised the regular Spidey is at $130. Thought for sure their 1/10 pieces are at $160 minimum these days.
alshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 08:18 AM   #23
Gerard
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philintheblank View Post
I'd say it's getting out of hand but it's been out of hand. $455 for 1/10? Insane...
Yes, right ?
Gerard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 11:00 AM   #24
Infinite GLORY
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

It's just hard to determine what the actual increase in materials cost is over the past few years with everything going on vs. a company just looking to gouge customers because they think they have made it to that point where they can do that and get away with it.

Iron Studios WAS a very affordable company. The older statues at $90 - $100 was what originally caught my attention. Although I admit I hated the black bases. I thought they were so boring, and I still think so. I liked when they introduced the custom bases to go along with the statues, and even then the prices either stayed very close to $100 or jumped to maybe $110 - $115 (I'm thinking of the Avengers Infinity War and Endgame pieces). Yes some of the bigger thicker pieces justified a higher cost or they had "deluxe" versions of some pieces which seemed like a higher cost was necessary.

But these days, especially if you look back at anything that came out or was announced during the pandemic, you are looking at starting prices of $149.99 on up (thinking of a majority of the X-Men Sentinel wave). That's where I feel the scales started to shift. Not sure how much profit IS made off the higher pieces. I think the X-men line in general was very popular due to the popularity of those characters, not necessarily people being "ok" with paying the higher costs. But now they are throwing those same higher price costs at statues like Elvis or The Wizard of Oz, or these Disney 100 pieces. Obviously I'm aware of how business practices work and understand the cost of obtaining licenses, but IS can't possibly think they are going to sell the same number of any of the statues I mentioned above vs. a Wolverine statue. It just doesn't add up.

Most of the recent IS pre-orders have any standard statues going at $160, then creeping up to $170, $180, or $190, and more detailed or heavier looking statues over $200 - $250, up to $300 or $400 in certain situations. I understand prices go up, but if Tweeterhead statues at 1/6 are like $400 - $500, and Sideshows 1/4 pieces are now anywhere from $600 - $800, how can a 1/10 piece be the same as a 1/6 or very close to a 1/4?
Infinite GLORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 12:14 PM   #25
AlexLothos
What's another word for Thesaurus?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite GLORY View Post
It's just hard to determine what the actual increase in materials cost is over the past few years with everything going on vs. a company just looking to gouge customers because they think they have made it to that point where they can do that and get away with it.

Iron Studios WAS a very affordable company. The older statues at $90 - $100 was what originally caught my attention. Although I admit I hated the black bases. I thought they were so boring, and I still think so. I liked when they introduced the custom bases to go along with the statues, and even then the prices either stayed very close to $100 or jumped to maybe $110 - $115 (I'm thinking of the Avengers Infinity War and Endgame pieces). Yes some of the bigger thicker pieces justified a higher cost or they had "deluxe" versions of some pieces which seemed like a higher cost was necessary.

But these days, especially if you look back at anything that came out or was announced during the pandemic, you are looking at starting prices of $149.99 on up (thinking of a majority of the X-Men Sentinel wave). That's where I feel the scales started to shift. Not sure how much profit IS made off the higher pieces. I think the X-men line in general was very popular due to the popularity of those characters, not necessarily people being "ok" with paying the higher costs. But now they are throwing those same higher price costs at statues like Elvis or The Wizard of Oz, or these Disney 100 pieces. Obviously I'm aware of how business practices work and understand the cost of obtaining licenses, but IS can't possibly think they are going to sell the same number of any of the statues I mentioned above vs. a Wolverine statue. It just doesn't add up.

Most of the recent IS pre-orders have any standard statues going at $160, then creeping up to $170, $180, or $190, and more detailed or heavier looking statues over $200 - $250, up to $300 or $400 in certain situations. I understand prices go up, but if Tweeterhead statues at 1/6 are like $400 - $500, and Sideshows 1/4 pieces are now anywhere from $600 - $800, how can a 1/10 piece be the same as a 1/6 or very close to a 1/4?

These are points I've brought up and questions I've posed many times over the years. Without much push back, they just keep testing those pricing boundaries and raising that ceiling. It sucks that Iron Studios has pretty much scrubbed all of the prices from their older and more reasonable priced pieces so it's tougher for collectors to research and compare. But like you mentioned, comparing their current prices to current pieces of larger scales... the pricing just doesn't add up.
AlexLothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 01:37 PM   #26
Peedi
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenixblazes View Post
Have you read any of the Ultimate stuff, as I think it has had similar depictions.
Which still doesn’t work here since Ultimate Venom is a fairly different thing from 616 Venom.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 01:40 PM   #27
Peedi
The Secret Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by majestic1 View Post
Just been looking at their Instagram page and along with Spidey & Venom this massive battle dio will also include -

Miles
Gwen (Ghost-Spider)
Doc Ock
Sandman
Lizard
Electro
Kraven
Scorpion
Vulture
Green Goblin
"..and more !"
Hmmm. I’m interested in seeing those. One short of the OG Sinister Six without Mysterio, but I guess they’ll add him later. And a Black Cat later.
Peedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2023, 05:02 PM   #28
xb24
Sinister Six

They just released a 1/10th Delorean Collector edition for $2000, while the Deluxe version for $2199.
xb24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 09:17 AM   #29
Infinite GLORY
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xb24 View Post
They just released a 1/10th Delorean Collector edition for $2000, while the Deluxe version for $2199.
This doesn't make sense either. Vehicles tend to be priced higher and require more detail, but the animated batmobile deluxe with Batman was $1100. How is this one $800 more? Another complaint I have with this is that the standard is priced maybe $100- $150 too high. If you are telling me that normally a 1/10 statue is $150, and you are throwing in Doc, Marty and the dog to the deluxe for only $200 more, that seems not in line with their pricing per character. But just a small nitpick.
Infinite GLORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 02:55 PM   #30
majestic1
Green Lantern Corps
Adamantium Member

majestic1 is offline   Reply With Quote