Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 05-21-2023, 03:51 PM   #21
Hobbyist
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
Hot Toys, Sideshow Collectibles, DC Comics (figure) Mezco Toys all obtained the license for Christopher Reeve Superman
Marlon Brando The Godfather has been offered in the past as both figure and statue by various companies, including Blitzway, MCFarlane Toys, Sideshow Collectibles, Funko Pop

It points to the licenses being not so difficult to obtain.
Not sure if the license for Godfather Part II is more difficult to obtain compared to Part I, and specifically for the character Michael Corleone.

I ruled out Brando's Vito Corleone immediately as it'd been done numerous times in various formats and scales. I don't think JND would be interested in making another Vito Corleone.

Quote:
It could be Robert De Niro
Has there ever been an official of figure/statue of Robert De Niro ?
De Niro plays Vito Corleone, the father of MC. It doesn't fit the clue regarding the son of the Trinity.

Quote:
Assuming Don Vito Corleone (Marlon Brando) was the most important person in the movie,
could Michael Corleone (Al Pacino) be the second most important person in the movie?
There is an element of a father and son relationship in the clue, and the emphasis is placed on the son. It makes perfect sense that Michael Corleone (AP) is the subject of the next statue.
Hobbyist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 04:51 PM   #22
pdenham
Teen Titans

If it is Michael Corleone, the license may have been harder because Pacino would have had to have signed off on his likeness rights (just guessing) and he might have been a tough negotiator.
But that character would be the fresher, and consequently more interesting, one to do from that property, over another version of the more oft done Brando/Vito.
And he is an actor that still has plenty of passionate fans in general. Maybe not like in his heydays in the seventies, but some of those films will never fade away.

I think sales-wise, a Pacino Scarface might be lucrative, or at least a faster sell out, whereas a Michael Corelone would be, for lack of a better word, classier (time period, character style, costuming, etc).
I'm not a fan of it, but I know for a lot of people that's their movie (Scarface). At least that was true in recent years past.
That demo might have aged out too now, but I kind of doubt it would.

Just remembered- didn't we already see some Pacino head sculpts a few years back? I think they might have been for a 1/6 scale figure. Was it Kojun for Hot Toys?
_______

It was.

Maybe Kojun has a thing for Pacino?
pdenham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 06:27 PM   #23
Shoo
The Enchantress

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
If it is Michael Corleone
Definitely not him. If Exorcist says it's not Michael Corleone, you can take it to the bank.

By the way, that wonderful Al wasn't a Hot Toys release, but a custom piece Kojun sold to a few fortunate owners. : )

I think it's Chris Reeve as Superman.

* That gesture is totally Brando, indeed, who's probably the most known example of Method acting.

* Reeve played Brando's son in "Superman", which also featured respected actors Gene Hackman and Glenn Ford.

* In 1978, we "believed a man could fly". It was mind-blowing back then.

* The fact that it was a hard-to-get license doesn't mean it's a license that hasn't been done before. Perhaps the Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation takes their time before giving their blessing.

* And speaking of blessings, Ma Kent says in the movie: "All these years, as happy as we've been, how I prayed and prayed the good Lord would see fit to give us a child". Not to mention the obvious Christian analogies in the figure of Superman as a character.
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 06:36 PM   #24
generalszabo
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoo View Post
Definitely not him. If Exorcist says it's not Michael Corleone, you can take it to the bank.

By the way, that wonderful Al wasn't a Hot Toys release, but a custom piece Kojun sold to a few fortunate owners. : )

I think it's Chris Reeve as Superman.

* That gesture is totally Brando, indeed, who's probably the most known example of Method acting.

* Reeve played Brando's son in "Superman", which also featured respected actors Gene Hackman and Glenn Ford.

* The fact that it was a hard to get license doesn't mean it's a license that hasn't been done before. Perhaps the Christopher & Dana Reeve Foundation takes its time before giving their blessing.

* And speaking of blessings, Ma Kent says in the movie: "All these years, as happy as we've been, how I prayed and prayed the good Lord would see fit to give us a child". Not to mention the obvious Christian analogies in the figure of Superman as a character.
It would defo fit with a lot of the clues, godfather was not something that revolutionised the way we watch films like avatar, so you are probably right
generalszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 07:14 PM   #25
pdenham
Teen Titans

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalszabo View Post
It would defo fit with a lot of the clues, godfather was not something that revolutionised the way we watch films like avatar, so you are probably right
Yeah that was the one comment that gave me pause (as did Exorcist putting the kibosh on Pacino earlier).
But then, the comment about going to church (God) seems to me more apropos to GODfather than Supes-.

Mostly I'm just hoping it's not Chris Reeve because that might be a big temptation order that I really don't want right now.

I'm down to three pre-orders, two of which are already pricey JND pieces, and I'm suddenly getting hit with home repairs and other things I wasn't expecting right now.
With the (statue) resale market dead, it's going to be all I can do to manage a fraction of what I've been committed to (just got an invoice for a HT fig I was looking forward to- that's gotta get cut now).

Also, I think it would have been to their credit to cool on the DC and Batman/Superman stuff for a while, and do fresher things for the next year or two.
I can just imagine how impressive the product could be if they pursued licenses like James Dean, Marilyn Monore, Bogart, Bronson, Bardot, Belmondo, Spencer, etc
Old 05-21-2023, 07:53 PM   #26
Irenicus
The Spirit

I was confident it was Marlon Brandon, but if The Exorcist says no then it is not, since he seems to have some insider information. He also said it is not Michael.

Then by exclusion must be Reeves superman. I guess we cannot take the JND hints so seriously lol.
Irenicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2023, 11:12 PM   #27
pdenham
Teen Titans

OK. I watched it again and with the couple exceptions already noted, it fits STM to a "T".

Now it's going to come down to the portrait and the pose.

I'm sure we'll get another fortress themed base- but what I would love to see is part of the map and tile found on the floor in Luthor's lair- or instad of that, something with helicopter pad markings from the roof of the Daily Planet.
Anything specific to the first film- apart from the overused fortress- would be fine with me.
Old 05-22-2023, 03:13 PM   #28
Hobbyist
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by generalszabo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdenham View Post
Yeah that was the one comment that gave me pause.

But then, the comment about going to church (God) seems to me more apropos to GODfather than Supes-.
I felt the same, in a way. Godfather and Avatar are not really comparable. But then, the church and son part of the clues seem to be pointing at Godfather.

Perhaps Daniel is just not very good at giving clues.
Old 05-22-2023, 03:19 PM   #29
Hobbyist
Sailor Moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoo View Post
This seems to relate closer to the comment regarding Avatar.

If JND were indeed working on a CR Superman statue, then they would be setting themselves up for a disappointment, especially in the likeness department.

Knowing their track record, I really don't think they could do a better job than what Arnie Kim has already done. The bar is set too high for them.

Arnie Kim's Superman is perfection.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	arnie.jpg
Views:	367
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	161972  
Old 05-22-2023, 04:13 PM   #30
tarim69
Sailor Moon

Superman was a big deal in its time.

Donner had no idea how they were going to pull off some of the things in the script. Nothing like it had ever been done before and the only real comparison at the time would be Star Wars.

I remember the day I saw it. I was 8 at the time and am 53 now.

It came years before things like Blade Runner, The Thing, Dragonslayer etc. ..which took FX to new heights.
tarim69 is offline   Reply With Quote