Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics > The Mighty Reviews

Old 07-02-2010, 09:48 AM   #11
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
I couldn't be any more disappointed than I was with the Death of Dracula One-Shot. Is continuity no longer important? I just can't understand how Marvel, especially with their two Tomb of Dracula omnibuses doing so well, would just forfeit & jettison their Dracula history. Why? Why do this?
I'm with you, brother. I'm so disappointed I'm practically saddened. The Marv Wolfman/Gene Colan Dracula has been the highest point of my nearly 50 year comic book reading life. Seeing this version of Dracula carried forward through the various Marvel title's he's been in through the decades has always been a treat for me. But this, this totally reimagined character we're now seeing just leaves me feeling...well, honestly, resentful.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 10:48 AM   #12
rilynil
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

I'm really loving the Secret Avengers series, too. Such an unusual collection of characters, but it's working for me.

As for the Death of Dracula comic, I have the same feelings as you, Joe, for them totally ignoring the established history. Yet, I still felt myself being very intrigued by all the various vampire sects in the issue. The new Janus has a feel very much like Joss Whedon's Angel, which I enjoyed. I'm interested in seeing where all this goes.
rilynil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 04:05 PM   #13
worldbreaker13
Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
I couldn't be any more disappointed than I was with the Death of Dracula One-Shot. Is continuity no longer important? I just can't understand how Marvel, especially with their two Tomb of Dracula omnibuses doing so well, would just forfeit & jettison their Dracula history. Why? Why do this?

It's not just Drac. Werewolf by Night they messed with as well.{ Last year I believe.} Where are all the base characters? Build on that! Use your writting talents to embelish these characters and make them intresting and important to new readers as well as long time fans! If you cant do that then just leave these characters alone and dont ruin them! I would read the old books over and over again then deal with this drek.............
worldbreaker13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 02:13 AM   #14
lord odin

I'm treating the Dracula book like another version from another reality.
It's a mob movie with fangs but not my Dracula.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 03:26 AM   #15
Ryu
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
It's excellent, no doubt, but don't count out New Avengers. For me, even more than Secret Avengers, that's the one out of the gate with the greatest promise.
The only thing that was terrific about that book was the artwork. The continuity within the Bendis Avengers books are out of whack. Where is all of this taking place?

Plus, Bendis has The Avengers yet again eating and talking.... :bored: While Brubacker has his team kicking ass!
Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 03:28 AM   #16
Ryu
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

If you want a good Vampire book, I suggest picking up American Vampire. That book is awesome.
Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 04:49 AM   #17
Rocket
Art of Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by wktf View Post
I'm with you, brother. I'm so disappointed I'm practically saddened. The Marv Wolfman/Gene Colan Dracula has been the highest point of my nearly 50 year comic book reading life. Seeing this version of Dracula carried forward through the various Marvel title's he's been in through the decades has always been a treat for me. But this, this totally reimagined character we're now seeing just leaves me feeling...well, honestly, resentful.
Wow Joe, MASSIVE praise

You can be sure I'll be tracking this stuff down now, and to hear Marv Wolfman speak about his time on the book at length and with great fondness at a con here recently only enforces that for me

The Dracula TPB that was released this past week....is that the start of the run?
Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 08:56 AM   #18
Monty Props
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
The Dracula TPB that was released this past week....is that the start of the run?
I believe it is. That's where I jumped on.
Monty Props is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 09:03 AM   #19
lord odin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryu View Post
The only thing that was terrific about that book was the artwork. The continuity within the Bendis Avengers books are out of whack. Where is all of this taking place?

Quote:
Plus, Bendis has The Avengers yet again eating and talking.... :bored: While Brubacker has his team kicking ass!
That's just one of the reasons I stopped reading anything he writes and all of those um's are another.
lord odin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 10:31 AM   #20
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket View Post
Wow Joe, MASSIVE praise

You can be sure I'll be tracking this stuff down now, and to hear Marv Wolfman speak about his time on the book at length and with great fondness at a con here recently only enforces that for me

It is. I'd say go for it, for sure. You also can get the Tomb of Dracula Omnibus vol 1 (if you can find it for a price you like) which is the start of the run and takes it further than the trade (though I'm sure there'll be further trade volumes), or also Essential Tomb of Dracula.

But, yes, the trade that came out last week is the very beginning. Marv Wolfman's run on the book doesn't start until issue #7, just so you knowl
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote