Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 04-01-2019, 02:43 PM   #11
Augen
Metal Men

My guess is the new Star Wars is doing fine with general audience types that spends less than $100 a year on Star Wars. Mainly buy a ticket to see the movie, get a t-shirt, and get it on video.

The "whales" or people who spend more than $1000 a year on Star Wars are the kind of super dedicated that feel alienated by new trilogy.

So, you could lose 5% of your fans, but lose 25% of revenue. This is speculation based on observations.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 04:45 PM   #12
JoeWorf
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
My guess is the new Star Wars is doing fine with general audience types that spends less than $100 a year on Star Wars. Mainly buy a ticket to see the movie, get a t-shirt, and get it on video.
The "whales" or people who spend more than $1000 a year on Star Wars are the kind of super dedicated that feel alienated by new trilogy.

So, you could lose 5% of your fans, but lose 25% of revenue. This is speculation based on observations.
I think I *found* what I assume to be the basis for your observation...
https://www.slideshare.net/nicholasl...uture-of-media
All well and good, but the author seems to be primarily targeting the gaming industry and its future and bringing other media along for the ride. I'd venture that there is some crossover and some shared concepts, but the average gamer is likely far more hardcore than the average movie-goer with regards to purchasing. Sure, streaming and future unknown technological media delivery vehicles will diminish the appeal and necessity of physical content (VHS, BETAMAX, cassettes, CDs and even DVDs anyone?) but toys and action figures are tactile and until we all have access to cheap digital printers (and you'll still have to pay for the digital source material and filament) or better, than the impact may be less severe... for the nonce. Of course there will then be a war along the lines of the old Napster types and the music industry "Pirating is killing the music industry" corporate types. Nobody wants to pay for anything, just look at Craigslist and eBAY. When we can choose which items we want to print in unlimited quantities unfettered by corporate whim, artificial shortages and preconceived notions as to what will sell and what won't.... then maybe we'll get a more accurate feel of what sells. We'll see.
JoeWorf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:11 PM   #13
DarkKni9hT
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CessnaDriver View Post
They can't fix this trilogy. Honestly they should cancel it right now.
Back off a couple years and start fresh.
Worst ... Advice .. EVER!!!

I agree with the cancel it part. Star Wars is well and truly done, ship sailed, mistakes made, sales plummeting. It's run its course. End of story.

The idea of revisiting it after a couple of years is more terrifying than just continuing on the current path. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING, good has ever come from rebooting a belaboured franchise. It's a formula for losing money.

If Star Wars has run to the end of its effective run, just let it die. The last thing we need is for a curious new director to come along in ten years and decide that Luke was transgender, Vader was not such a bad guy, Han and Greedo shot simultaneously and Jar-Jar would be a good character now that CGI technology is more advanced. No, no, no and no!
DarkKni9hT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 06:21 PM   #14
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

it honestly breaks my heart to see how badly disney ruined star wars and to see so many fans not caring about star wars anymore Sure the prequels were divisive, but this new trilogy, i've never seen such a catastrophic mishandling of a property before, they utterly decimated the fan base. To screw up so bad that a franchise as big as star wars is legit dying, that is just an example of galactic level incompetence and mishandling.
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:30 PM   #15
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeWorf View Post
I think I *found* what I assume to be the basis for your observation...
https://www.slideshare.net/nicholasl...uture-of-media
All well and good, but the author seems to be primarily targeting the gaming industry and its future and bringing other media along for the ride. I'd venture that there is some crossover and some shared concepts, but the average gamer is likely far more hardcore than the average movie-goer with regards to purchasing. Sure, streaming and future unknown technological media delivery vehicles will diminish the appeal and necessity of physical content (VHS, BETAMAX, cassettes, CDs and even DVDs anyone?) but toys and action figures are tactile and until we all have access to cheap digital printers (and you'll still have to pay for the digital source material and filament) or better, than the impact may be less severe... for the nonce. Of course there will then be a war along the lines of the old Napster types and the music industry "Pirating is killing the music industry" corporate types. Nobody wants to pay for anything, just look at Craigslist and eBAY. When we can choose which items we want to print in unlimited quantities unfettered by corporate whim, artificial shortages and preconceived notions as to what will sell and what won't.... then maybe we'll get a more accurate feel of what sells. We'll see.
Not familiar with that link, but Star Wars changed film marketing forever by bringing this concept to the industry. You see these collection rooms with $10,000-$100,000 worth of merchandise (or moichindizin' as Yogurt would say) and now the whole concept behind blockbusters is to replicate that sort of fandom. Even between Episode III and VII the Star Wars stuff kept selling in the billions.

In my general discussion my casual Star Wars friends like the new movies and aren't not even aware there is any controversy about them.

Meanwhile the hardcore fans I know have a pretty big split I haven't seen since Phantom Menace. Some of these folks went to see Force Awakens a dozen times, bought the figures, Legos, etc. and to hear them now boycott spending on any and all Star Wars is pretty striking.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:32 PM   #16
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post

Meanwhile the hardcore fans I know have a pretty big split I haven't seen since Phantom Menace. Some of these folks went to see Force Awakens a dozen times, bought the figures, Legos, etc. and to hear them now boycott spending on any and all Star Wars is pretty striking.
Force Awakens sure, but how many of them wanted to see Last Jedi multiple times?
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 09:37 PM   #17
Augen
Metal Men

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
Force Awakens sure, but how many of them wanted to see Last Jedi multiple times?
That varies a lot as the reaction was pretty strong mixed among that crowd. Some do like it, and some sure do hate it. So, instead of all being at 12, went from 1 to 12. Average I'd say 3 or 4 times.

Some of these folks that dislike it stated they tried to force to like it and got angrier with each viewing.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:47 PM   #18
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

I grew up a HUGE Star Wars fan. Everytime the family went to rent videos, I got Star Wars. When I was old enough to purchase the videos, I got them. I had multiple versions of the laserdiscs (I even had a Japanese import version of The Phantom Menace on laserdisc). All the presents I got were Star Wars. My nickname in High School was Chewie. I loved this stuff. My college rooms, apartments and everyplace I've lived since (including in my current, married years) has Star Wars on the walls in one form or another. My love survived the Prequels, but mainly because of the expanded universe and various Clone Wars cartoons.

Now? I honestly don't even care about Star Wars anymore. It really is amazing, and sad, how Disney completely ruined it for me. I don't even think it's the movies (I loved Rogue One, though Solo was decent, absolutely HATED TFA & TLJ) that killed it for me. It was destroying the expanded universe and taking it out of canon. That was almost 25 years of the blood, sweat and tears of fans of the OT. Kids that loved Star Wars that grew into adults and wanted to contribute to a universe they loved. For all of Lucas's flaws, he at least allowed others into his sandbox to play (even if he was pretty strict with the rules). It just really showed that Disney didn't care about the old fans and their contributions to the success of the Star Wars universe. The fatal blow was taking the big three and turning them into ineffectual caricatures of themselves before ultimately killing them and throwing them away like garbage.

Star Wars will never get another dime from me again.
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote