Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Painter's Pit Stop

Old 04-15-2010, 08:59 PM   #1
sebastianF13
Doh!

Help with paint issues on preacher statue

Hey guys! I just got this and it has some discoloration issues. His hair, jacket and the little finger on his left hand appear to have been smeared and the color is gone. I'd like to try my luck with repairing it.

Do you guys know what kind of colors I should use? Any specific brushes? How will I be able to get the specific hue his hair and jacket need, do I mix black and white paint or do I just thin the black paint with whatever kind of dissolvant is appropriate? Do I just paint over the whites or is there some preparation involved? After I paint, is there some kind of sealer I should use? I know I'm asking a lot of stuff at once but this is gonna be my first attempt with coloring anything and I really don't know anything.

Thanx!
sebastianF13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 09:25 PM   #2
riderV3
ROT Minister of Scientific Emergency Management

For little smears like that you generally just paint over them, as easy as it sounds.

Go to your local hobby sotore, buy some acrylic paint and any brush with fine tip will do.

I personally use Model Master acrylic since for some reason it clings to unprepared surfaces better than most others out there.
You'd need black, white, blue and skin tone, which means you need at least 4 colors.
I said at least because almost always you need to mix the skin tone instead of right out of bottle.

Black+blue+white for the hair

Black for the jacket

Black+white if the chip is on highlighted area.

So if that's $2.99 per bottle of acrylic and about $5 for the brush, you'd be spending over $20 to fix that...
riderV3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2010, 01:58 AM   #3
sebastianF13
Doh!

thank you riderV3,
when you say that I'll have to "mix the skin tone" do you have any suggestion as to with what other colors? And also, where do I test if the mix I've made actually resembles the statue's hue. Will a piece of paper do?
Thanks again.
Old 04-16-2010, 02:51 AM   #4
riderV3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sebastianF13 View Post
thank you riderV3,
when you say that I'll have to "mix the skin tone" do you have any suggestion as to with what other colors? And also, where do I test if the mix I've made actually resembles the statue's hue. Will a piece of paper do?
Thanks again.
For skin tone it really depends, sometimes you mix with white, sometimes red or a bit of brown...
There is no textbook solution for color mixing, the best suggestion any painter could give you is to grab some bottles of paint and just go with the old fashion trail and error.

I would suggest you to try the color on plastic surfaces. Paper will absorb the solvent in the paint which will darken and misrepresent the actual color.
Old 04-16-2010, 07:32 AM   #5
sebastianF13
Doh!

thank you again riderV3! I'm gonna try my luck this weekend and I'm gonna post pics of the results on Monday.
Old 04-16-2010, 03:26 PM   #6
riderV3

Hey glad I can help, man.
Wish I could be more specific but I'm lazy and I think it'd be more fun to mess with paint yourself than asking questions.

Good luck fixing it!
Old 04-18-2010, 08:03 PM   #7
sebastianF13
Doh!

It turns out, it wasn't as hard as I'd feared. Not that I did an excellent job, but I think it's a fairly good improvement over the state the statue was in before I retouched it. The colors were easy to mix and I think I've captured the hue that was needed for the hair and the jacket (thanks to riderV3's suggestions of course. Black-white for the jacket, black-white-blue for the hair). The only part that didn't go so well was the knuckle on his small finger. I tried a skin-tone color (btw the brand of the colors I used was DEKA, they're german and they were the only brand I could find) and tried to mix it with some white but I couldn't quite capture the correct tone. Next week I'll go buy some pink, yellow and red and see if I can come up with something better.
Here are the pics:

Thanx again riderV3!!!
Old 04-18-2010, 09:02 PM   #8
riderV3

Hey that turned out great!

You did a fine job, if you don't tell I won't even know it's being repaired.

I'm sure you'll get the skin tone right!