Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Prime 1 Studio

Old 06-25-2023, 05:25 PM   #21
qz33
Doctor Doom

Winner of the whole show.
The translucent hair.
Just perfect. If they deliver on this I will definitely be finding myself one.
qz33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 06:35 PM   #22
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamato View Post
Will say, the likeness on Kenshiro and Yurio is incredible. Might be some of their best work on anime sculpts yet.
Definitely outstanding work based on source material. I just hope Prime1 eventually do something for fans of older FOTNS material.
ZenLogikos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 06:52 PM   #23
Gyro Zeppeli
The Masters of Evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
Definitely outstanding work based on source material. I just hope Prime1 eventually do something for fans of older FOTNS material.
What do you mean? Do you mean Rei and Toki?
Gyro Zeppeli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 08:06 PM   #24
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro Zeppeli View Post
What do you mean? Do you mean Rei and Toki?
No, I mean earlier source material. I hate the current look.
Old 06-25-2023, 09:02 PM   #25
Gyro Zeppeli
The Masters of Evil

Oh I agree 100%. I don't care much for the art style now. Everyone looks kinda weird.
Old 06-25-2023, 10:11 PM   #26
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gyro Zeppeli View Post
Oh I agree 100%. I don't care much for the art style now. Everyone looks kinda weird.
At first glance, these look great. Highly detailed, and the likenesses are superb.

But the current styled hair, small face (huge necks have always been there though), and more Mel or Elvis than Bruce...I don't like. Outfit is getting too ornate as well.

If you want this:

then these Prime1 Kens just don't cut it, as nice as they are.
Old 06-25-2023, 10:13 PM   #27
Jiggatron69
The X-Men

Hope they start making some of the characters from Fist of the North Star's prequel lines.
Jiggatron69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 10:39 PM   #28
qz33
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
At first glance, these look great. Highly detailed, and the likenesses are superb.

But the current styled hair, small face (huge necks have always been there though), and more Mel or Elvis than Bruce...I don't like. Outfit is getting too ornate as well.

If you want this:

then these Prime1 Kens just don't cut it, as nice as they are.
Thank you. I've been wondering what you were referring to as as old school fans and now I get it.

Usually I agree with you line of thinking but not here.
I get that there are purists and "true" fans of the source material. To make that a secondary consideration to what MAY make a more appealing product to casual fans or newbies for super expensive statues is the right move in my opinion. Yes definitely looks like Elvis to me but regardless its just too good too aesthetic for we to want a more faithful representation. This statue wouldn't hit the same with a basic brown garb and more traditional anime interpreted, Ralph Macchio-esque, anlgo face.

I think far too often as collecting fans we become too beholden to what we believe to be the true or purest and purists' representations of these characters. This is an example of when the statue transcends the source material and becomes its own artistic interpretation. A lotta times it doesn't work but this thing nails it.
qz33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2023, 10:43 PM   #29
Gyro Zeppeli
The Masters of Evil

Well a buff post apocalyptical Elvis does sound pretty awesome...
Old 06-25-2023, 10:49 PM   #30
Gyro Zeppeli
The Masters of Evil

Yuria herself looks amazing in the current style. My main issues with the current style have to do with the proportion on males. Ken's head just looks so weird and unnatural to me. It's small, but his face also doesn't really seem like it belongs to the head. His arms are just so absurdly buff and bulging it looks like they are about to explode, but he should be the one making other people's arms explode!

I will say that Prime 1 has been VERY faithful to the current style of the artist. These statues capture that style almost perfectly. The art isn't bad by any means either. I actually quite like Fist of the Blue Sky and thought the art in it was great. I just think that sometimes when you realize something into a 3D sculpt, you may have to make slight adjustments to make it more understandable for our brains. We definitely perceive a 2D image and a three dimensional figure very very differently. Street Fighter figures will always be my favorite example of this dilemma. I don't want realistic proportions for anime and video game characters that don't have them, but sometimes I think you might want to change things up by maybe about 10%

Like with this sculpt I would have made Kenshiro's head slightly larger and his arm just a little bit smaller. It would be super slight changes. As is he still looks great. It isn't horrifying like Kinetiquette's Haohmaru which has some of the most repulsive muscles outside of a Baki character