Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 01-09-2018, 03:16 AM   #21
built2shred
Phoenix

I'm sure there are a lot of people who knew what was going on and kept quiet... Keep in mind they probably were afraid of losing their job if they did come forward or be black listed.

I'm not saying that's right but I can understand why someone would be afraid of coming forward.

As for Rose McGowan didn't she take money from Weinstein to be quiet? Although she eventually came forward which actually opens her up to being sued for breaking the agreement. McGowan is also a drug addict so I'm not sure she would be the right one to be the poster child for this cause. I also remember her going the MTV movie awards years back wearing a completely see through dress without wearing any underwear not to mention a bunch of perverted pictures she took of herself just came out on the internet (according to news articles)... I don't have much respect for someone like that but that doesn't mean she deserves to be raped.. if she was raped then Weinstein should go to jail but unfortunately she took money from him and allowed the statue of limitations to expire...

For me personally if the only way I could pursue a acting career was to ----- myself out, I would go do something else in life... it wouldn't be worth it to me... It's crazy what some people are willing to accept to try and become famous...
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2018, 12:30 PM   #22
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Oprah's speech was certainly the best of the night, if not most inspiring.

Happy for Guillermo del Toro and him winning for best director for Shape of Water.

Kirk Douglas...God bless him for being 101. I hope I look that good when I'm his age!!
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 03:01 AM   #23
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
I don't want to fight with you and I'm not going to but I just have to make 3 points about this.

1. You're right. I didn't watch it. I said early in the thread I wasn't going to and I didn't. IF ONLY that step were sufficient to avoid having to watch/listen to it. It is everywhere. Clips, discussions, videos etc. Every morning show, every news show, all social media. I did my share, I tried to avoid it and not watch it, but like all things like this, they have to shove it down our throats.

2. Silence better? I don't think I said that did I? But here is an idea instead of sanctimonious twaddle and self congratulatory speeches about how wonderful they are and now won't put up with what they have been enabling and/or participating in for 50+ years how about a little self reflection and contrition in their speeches? The goals could remain the same. How about letting Rose McGowan or Asia Argento, you know vicitms who came forward about their rape/attacks when it wasn't necessarily safe to do so or Mira Sorvino or other actress who's careers were blackballed by refusal to play ball say a few words? Instead we get all black dresses and more hash tags and virtue signaling from these insufferable gas bags. I defy you to name anything more tiresome and useless than these self important fools virtue signaling whatever the issue of the day.

3. They are all pretty bad. It is now clear that it would be charitable to limit it to "nearly" everybody knew and I find it difficult to believe that heavy weights like Oprah and Streep didn't know. I think everybody knows. But let's say they didn't. Streep gave a standing ovation to known child rapist Roman Polanski and now that Weinstein is in trouble she wants to say she didn't know him that well but apparently she feels no compunction with calling a casual aquaintance "God" in an acceptance speech. But there she is in all Black and we have to listen to every leftist and hollywood hack and their psychophantic press corps writing how brave they are.
The black outfits, the ribbons and the hashtags all remind me of the South Park “A Scause for Applause” epsiode

jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 04:31 AM   #24
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_don View Post
The black outfits, the ribbons and the hashtags all remind me of the South Park “A Scause for Applause” epsiode
because that is exactly what it all is, the only problem is unlike South Park they don't realize they're a parody.
MrYac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 09:47 AM   #25
marvelboi77
Spider-Woman #1 Fan

Some of you guys are very bitter.
marvelboi77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 10:27 AM   #26
jedi_don
The Horsemen of Apocalypse

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvelboi77 View Post
Some of you guys are very bitter.
Sexual harassment is a horrible thing and rape is absolutely deplorable and vile. The conversation is out there. Dressing in black, ribbons and hashtags is a Hollywood social justice warrior circus. Dress in black for solidarity but make sure you’re still fashionable because the press and public are watching and there’s an image to maintain.
jedi_don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:24 AM   #27
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
As for Rose McGowan didn't she take money from Weinstein to be quiet? Although she eventually came forward which actually opens her up to being sued for breaking the agreement.
Her settlement didn't have an NDA.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 11:51 AM   #28
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

I agree with Built2Shred that there are a lot of them, particularly the young victims who made the difficult decision to keep quiet in order to preserve their careers and avoid possible reprisals and I have zero problem with any of them. I actually wouldn't have THAT much of a problem with some of the big time actors that didn't say anything if they knew, thinking it is none of their business or whatever.

My problem is with the idea that these big stars who chose for whatever reason to not say anything or to help in any way now act like they are the virtuous ones who deserve admiration and praise for coming out in support of the victims now that the embarrassing truth is out for all to see and even more presume to lecture the rest of us to basically follow their enlightened lead and stop being knuckle draggers like we have been apparently until they bravely started "raising awareness" The "look at me I'm wearing black and I'm opposed to abuse of women, also I'm really brave, praise me"
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:26 PM   #29
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_don View Post
Sexual harassment is a horrible thing and rape is absolutely deplorable and vile. The conversation is out there. Dressing in black, ribbons and hashtags is a Hollywood social justice warrior circus. Dress in black for solidarity but make sure you’re still fashionable because the press and public are watching and there’s an image to maintain.
Well they can't win really can they?

If they talk out about it they're hit with the 'why can't actresses just act and leave politics out of it?" routine.

I agree, the momentum is a little out of hand, but people had their careers ruined out of fear, and exposure gives people that might find themselves in the same situation a little strength that they can say no and not have their livelihoods wrecked.

In my opinion, if out of ten people, fifty percent are doing it for altruistic reasons and the other half are doing it for self promotion (and I'm sure a lot are), then it's still worth putting up with a few jackasses and ensuring someone like Wienstien doesn't happen again .
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2018, 01:28 PM   #30
RichBamf
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNovak View Post
My problem is with the idea that these big stars who chose for whatever reason to not say anything or to help in any way now act like they are the virtuous ones who deserve admiration and praise for coming out in support of the victims now that the embarrassing truth is out for all to see and even more presume to lecture the rest of us to basically follow their enlightened lead and stop being knuckle draggers like we have been apparently until they bravely started "raising awareness" The "look at me I'm wearing black and I'm opposed to abuse of women, also I'm really brave, praise me"
Yep some of those people didn't seem to have a problem with it while they weren't affected. People like Clooney, Streep spring to mind.
RichBamf is offline   Reply With Quote