Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 03-27-2018, 07:59 AM   #21
KaraFan
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpuli28 View Post
So are alot of things, doesnt mean is gotta be put into every new show. More so, you know it's only fueled by Hollywood politics. This scene was purely gratuitous and added nothng to the plot.
I haven't even watched it yet. I didn't even know it started until I read this thread.
KaraFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:15 AM   #22
jpuli28
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraFan View Post
I haven't even watched it yet. I didn't even know it started until I read this thread.
The scene wasn't graphic and more implied but it was obvious. Anyway, be prepared, the first two hours are a little long in the tooth.
jpuli28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:31 AM   #23
KaraFan
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Quote:
The scene wasn't graphic and more implied but it was obvious. Anyway, be prepared, the first two hours are a little long in the tooth.
Is it a horror show?
KaraFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:59 AM   #24
jpuli28

So it claims.
Old 03-27-2018, 10:15 AM   #25
johnclone
The Enchantress

Quote:
I enjoyed how it didn't feel rushed at all. Very atmospheric, you got to really immerse yourself into this tragic story.

Interesting how in the first 3 minutes of the first episode they basically tell you more or less how the story ends. So we know already it doesn't go well for either ship. That is a very unusual tactic, I think, for a drama series. Our story opens, oh by the way, they never find a way out of the ice.
johnclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 10:25 AM   #26
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnclone View Post
I enjoyed how it didn't feel rushed at all. Very atmospheric, you got to really immerse yourself into this tragic story.

Interesting how in the first 3 minutes of the first episode they basically tell you more or less how the story ends. So we know already it doesn't go well for either ship. That is a very unusual tactic, I think, for a drama series. Our story opens, oh by the way, they never find a way out of the ice.
The voyage and the 2 ships and a lot of the characters were real so it is kind of like Titanic in that sense. We already know they don't come back. They just incorporate a horror story around it.

The novel was written in 2007 and then in 2014 or 15 (they found the actual other ship and then found the Terror in 2016. Both sunk in northern Canadian waters I think.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:28 AM   #27
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
So are alot of things, doesnt mean its gotta be put into every new show. More so, you know it's only fueled by Hollywood politics. This scene was purely gratuitous and added nothng to the plot.
It doesn't add anything to the plot NOW, but it might add to character backgrounds later. And be honest, if it was a man and a woman, you wouldn't have thought twice about it.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2018, 09:56 AM   #28
jpuli28

No I wldnt have. But thats irrelevant to my point of SJW influencing every new tv show because of some misguided pc.

Leave politics out of my entertainment.
Old 03-29-2018, 12:08 PM   #29
TNovak
Scarlet Witch

Since I started watching this show I became interested in the historic actual incident. I watched 3 or 4 documentaries from 1988, 2005, and then after the ships were discovered in the last few years.

I am amazed by the ignorance of some of the commentators discussing what the crew did and why. It's like none have them have ever spent any time in the cold or faced it's challenges. They attribute many of the deaths to lead poisoning from the solder in the canned goods they brought with them and I think lead poisoning might be the reason some of the unusual early deaths while the ships were still functioning but they also claim it lead to basically insanity when they made their attempts to leave the ships and bring with them supposedly "useless" items like a large victorian desk, prayer books, novels, brass curtain rods, and brass buttons and button polish. The commentators speculated they brought all this stuff to "maintain their attachment to their Victorian roots". um, no.

They weren't insane, they didn't leave the ships until they had been trapped in the ice for 2 years and they knew they wouldn't likely be rescued. 24 of the 105 had already died, some from freezing or disease (scurvy) and likely some from possible lead poisonings. They had started with a 3 yr supply of food and with the travel prior to getting stuck this was likely gone or running thin. They had to make for the south base, 800-1000 miles away.

They had to pull "sledges" which weighed around 2500 pounds at least. In one of the documentaries they had young British naval recruits pull similar sleds on a flat lake that wasn't even very cold and the recruits didn't have scurvy, hunger, or lead poisoining and still they were only able to cover 4 miles in a day.

The reason they brought that stuff was because they could burn it for heat and cooking. There is nothing in the way of a tree or anything flammable for hundreds of miles of where they were located. The Desk and books could be burned in the attempt to reach civilization. The curtain rods could be used to form stretchers and liverys to carry injured or cargo accross crevices or ice heaves for those locations where the sledge would need to be lightened to get across. The Brass buttons were brought (IMO) as potential trade material to native innuit for everything from food to shelter to even guide services.

Anyway, the first attempt only made it about 80 miles and they had to go back to the ships, undoubtably because they realized they just couldn't make it.

3 yrs later (5 years after being frozen in the ice) the last innuit siting of any survivors included 5 men trying to walk south. Of course they didn't make it.

One last thing though, in the early 1900s there were Innuit found with blue eyes, which led many to believe Vikings had made it to this area centuries ago. A more likely explanation to me would be that some of the Franklin or other lost explorers were absorbed into the communities of locals.
TNovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2018, 01:33 PM   #30
johnclone
The Enchantress

Historically, how many were supposedly killed by Innuit ghosts?
johnclone is offline   Reply With Quote