Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 10-23-2009, 04:10 PM   #1
dagouch17
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

What's the deal with CGC sketch Comics?

I've seen a bunch here and there especially after The Spidey 100 covers. You got all those sketch covers from Secret Invasion to the Fallen Son Books. I think it's cool for Marvel to have these kinds of books so Fans can get their own personal cover from their Favorite artists.

What I don't get is that CGC is grading these books. How can they grade a book, when it has been drawn on? I figure an artist even if Carefull will make some dents and dings on it. I've even seen some collectors care more for the grade of the book vs The actual art on it.

What are your guys feeling on this?

Mike
dagouch17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 04:20 PM   #2
Fat Head
What happens if you get scared half to death twice?

Personally I don't care for it. Comic books are meant to be read. I'm not concerned with what sort of grade the CGC gives a book, because they're not rating the content, they're rating the condition of the book. If I feel that a book is valuable enough to me that I don't want it damaged any further than it is, I'll frame it myself.
Fat Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 04:22 PM   #3
gman
Kindly Asked To Leave

i think the people who get the sketches on the covers also provide a border of some sort to prevent the spine and corners from getting any dings or creases and the artist only works on the "white space."
the cgc case and label (to me) provide an authentication so when you decide to resell, the buyer knows it is legit. same goes for the sig series. many people get actors and creators to sign books and it makes for a great collectible.
say what you want about cgc they have cornered the market on grading books and providing authentication of sigs, etc. they have totally changed the hobby forever (up to you if it is good or bad).
gman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 04:57 PM   #4
capsteverogers
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

I won one of the Hulk 100's last year and CGC offered to grade it for free so I had it graded and surprisingly it came back at a 9.8.
It looks cool in the CGC case and is well protected so I think it's a good idea for sketch covers.
capsteverogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:25 PM   #5
The Batfan
It's not hard to meet expenses, they're everywhere.

yeah I dont agree with CGC grading at all all of a sudden a book that is worth 100.00 is now worth 1,000 because its been graded.

and doing it to a book thats been drawn on makes even less sense.

speakin of sketch covers anyone know the artist on this is??
The Batfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 07:21 PM   #6
Simon Williams
Kindly Asked To Leave

CGC is a Cancer on the comic book industry.
Simon Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:06 PM   #7
predaking007
Death is hereditary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon Williams View Post
CGC is a Cancer on the comic book industry.

I can't tell... do you have issues with the concept of slabbing and grading books or just a personal dislike with the company itself?

To me, CGC is just an authority that confirms a grading and preserves it in a case. People have been anal retentive about the condition of their comics well before CGC. Isn't that why they created mylar and backing boards in the first place? Honestly, I don't know how anybody claims to collect comics without worrying about the condition.

I don't collect comics anymore, so I don't deal with CGC. But nearly every sort of collectible now has a widely respected grading company.

And I have no idea why people go crazy over sketch covers. It must be for investment reasons. If you want to collect sketches, get a sketchbook. It takes up less space in the house. Can you imagine having a comic for every sketch you've received? It would be a nightmare to look through everything.
predaking007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 08:15 PM   #8
Simon Williams
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by predaking007 View Post
I can't tell... do you have issues with the concept of slabbing and grading books or just a personal dislike with the company itself?

To me, CGC is just an authority that confirms a grading and preserves it in a case. People have been anal retentive about the condition of their comics well before CGC. Isn't that why they created mylar and backing boards in the first place? Honestly, I don't know how anybody claims to collect comics without worrying about the condition.

I don't collect comics anymore, so I don't deal with CGC. But nearly every sort of collectible now has a widely respected grading company.

And I have no idea why people go crazy over sketch covers. It must be for investment reasons. If you want to collect sketches, get a sketchbook. It takes up less space in the house. Can you imagine having a comic for every sketch you've received? It would be a nightmare to look through everything.
yup. what you said.
Simon Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 11:02 PM   #9
joy_division
My baby calls me the Loch Ness Monster, two great big humps and then I'm gone

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batfan View Post
yeah I dont agree with CGC grading at all all of a sudden a book that is worth 100.00 is now worth 1,000 because its been graded.

and doing it to a book thats been drawn on makes even less sense.

speakin of sketch covers anyone know the artist on this is??
#I'll take a guess and because of the "T" say billy Tan?

As for CGC I can't stand it, especially as Wizard support it so much - be it for comics or action figures. I'm sure that Wizard are the parent company
joy_division is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:21 AM   #10
patman
What is a free gift? Aren't all gifts free?

the hero initiative sketch covers automatically qualify the owner free CGC slabbing. i have one from the Ultimate Spidey 100 and Hulk 100 and i availed of both since it would authenticate it as from the HI run as well as try to preserve the art (especially my Pagulayan Hulk which was just pencils).

agree that slabbing current comics don't really make sense (guilty of it) but i have seen Amazing Fantasy #15 7.0 go from $4,000 3 years ago to $22,000 this year. you wouldn't get that price for the same quality comic if it weren't slabbed. CGC gives buyers a sense of guarantee thus the market for it.

capSR, would love to see which Hulk sketch you were able to get.
patman is offline   Reply With Quote