Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > General Discussion

Old 09-25-2018, 12:44 PM   #1
Augen
The Hulk

Question Your Outlook on the Hobby?

Reading through the forums it is interesting to see reactions and mood from collectors that run a spectrum.

Personally, I'm very excited about the hobby with Tweeterhead Super Power Line, Joelle Jones' DC Cover Girls, Kotobukiya Bishoujo, DC Bombshells, Sideshow Premium Format, and Prime 1 Fabok and Lau lines. Can add XM and Iron Studios as well along with Kinetiquettes and HMO making great stuff.

So many choices of scales and styles has me really looking forward to 2019 and beyond.

How about you, are you happy with the state of the hobby and its future? If so what pieces or lines are you anticipating most? Or are you frustrated and down about aspects such as delays, rising prices, and quality control? Particular bad experiences souring you?
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 01:09 PM   #2
Mister H
Green Goblin

As long as companies make great sculpts of my favorite characters, I will continue to buy. I will be cutting back quite a bit but doubt I will ever stop completely.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 01:15 PM   #3
jeremydmc
S.H.I.E.L.D.

Other than moving away from 1:4 I am here to stay. The cost of the 1:4 and larger are just more than I want to spend on a statue now. If not for Tweeterhead and their Super Powers line I would have very few PO's.
jeremydmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 01:57 PM   #4
stone eagle
Justice League

I have mixed feelings about collectables and hobbies now. I have read articles about millennials and how they care more about "experiences" and not necessarily about things. So not sure if younger people will want a house full of things that may get damaged in natural disasters, home fires or theft etc.
I know I am not like many collectors that have to complete a group or have to have every version and variant of a particular character. I am happy buying just one statue that appeals to me and if I have to wait for an nice statue I can. I also try to be happy with what I have with no plans to resell especially at a profit. So I don't collect anything for a profit and only buy what I want and can afford.
I also wonder about the attention span of many people since it seems to be getting shorter with the demand for instant gratification too. Not sure if many people have the patience to wait years for something to come to market, by then they have moved on to the latest fad.
Cost of a collectable or hobby is always a concern and some say we are approaching another financial recession in a few years and if we are I bet people won't have the disposable income for collectables.
stone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:09 PM   #5
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by stone eagle View Post
I am happy buying just one statue that appeals to me and if I have to wait for an nice statue I can.

I also wonder about the attention span of many people since it seems to be getting shorter with the demand for instant gratification too. Not sure if many people have the patience to wait years for something to come to market, by then they have moved on to the latest fad.
In today's world, even long-time traditional sculptors have largely shifted to digital sculpting. I think high-end statue companies should show us digital sculpts and/or maybe 3D prints early in the design process. That way, they can get some feedback from customers.

The way that some companies do business now, they show us fully-painted sculpts that then take anywhere from a year to three years to reach the market. WTF? That's ample time for a more efficient company to steal the best ideas and make a better product in the meantime.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:30 PM   #6
candyrocket786
Suicide Squad

I'm curious which company is going to shut their doors next. It's bound to happen with the over-saturation of countless characters/licenses. Christ, even the customs scene is headed in that direction. I think there's only so many Predator, Jurassic Park, Wolverine, Venom, Magneto, Hulk and Batman pieces I can stomach.

As for me.... I'm already in wind-down mode and pretty selective about license/custom purchases. Hell... I don't even bother pre-ordering any licensed pieces anymore... there is simply no point.

Another year or two and I might be out.
candyrocket786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 02:39 PM   #7
spriggan
The Spirit

I think the hobby will stay. I am not surprise if some companies that are asking too much will collapse while others will thrive. How many people will keep buying statue at $2000 a piece? I know I won't, regardless how nice it is and I have other bills to pay. I could see companies like DST will survive since their statue is getting better and they keep the price low. At this moment, too many companies are offering the same characters.
Super hero movies certainly help the popularity of statue and comic market. In the end as long as there is demand, the market will survive.
I agree that millenials care more about 'experience' but with the cost of everything that keep going up, how long will majority of them realize that they don't have any money to spend on 'experience'? I have travelled and lived in many places. Right now, I don't feel that excitement of travelling as much as before. I also hate seeing the bills after.
spriggan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:25 PM   #8
adee
Green Arrow

They priced me out of collecting the way I used to but I still enjoy seeing everything. I still collect smaller scale and get the quarter scale pieces I really want. All in all still very much into the hobby.
adee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:32 PM   #9
risingstar
Jedi Order

Prices are killing me -- yet, at the same time, the best stuff ever is being produced.
risingstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:53 PM   #10
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

I don’t buy much in the way of statues any longer. Prices, space considerations, and collecting artwork have caused me to be more of an observer than a buyer. I am still very active in watching what comes out and have come close to pulling the trigger a few times. I am sure there will be more purchases in the future, just far fewer and further between. I think the hobby is in great shape.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote