Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > Bowen Designs

Old 06-14-2014, 08:39 AM   #1
tonytiger
The X-Men

Question New here,Question about collecting?

OK,I've just Order some figures ... 12'' Hulk and 12" batman but already having 2nd thoughts! Should I've collected the more expensive Statues like Sideshow? Will I Be happy will these? What do you guys that have been collecting for while feel about this?
tonytiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:10 AM   #2
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytiger View Post
OK,I've just Order some figures ... 12'' Hulk and 12" batman but already having 2nd thoughts! Should I've collected the more expensive Statues like Sideshow? Will I Be happy will these? What do you guys that have been collecting for while feel about this?
I collect both 1/6 scale (mostly) and some 1/4 scale. I have been happy with all my Bowen purchases. (I have close to 100.

Due to limited space i can display many more 1/6 scale i limit my 1/4 scale to those I really want.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:36 AM   #3
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Which Hulk and Batman did you order?
Old 06-14-2014, 09:36 AM   #4
tonytiger
The X-Men

Question

OK, but what about value? it seems by looking at e-bay prices that sideshows go up allot more? Also, in a statue, shouldn't it be made solid Or is plastic just as good? And yes I know there is A Hugh difference in price.Your point on Size is one to think about.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:42 AM   #5
tonytiger
The X-Men

11" BATMAN statue ARTFX KOTOBUKIYA figure DARK KNIGHT jim lee BLACK SUIT hush and Marvel Avengers Hulk Classic Fine Art 12-Inch Statue - Kotobukiya But I'm also going to get Bowen Designs Abomination Statue Incredible Hulk Full Size Limited Edition and a few more.
Old 06-14-2014, 09:50 AM   #6
AUTOBATJAZZ
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonytiger View Post
OK, but what about value? it seems by looking at e-bay prices that sideshows go up allot more? Also, in a statue, shouldn't it be made solid Or is plastic just as good? And yes I know there is A Hugh difference in price.Your point on Size is one to think about.
Collect what u like, don't collect because it's go up in value.unless u collect to flip!
AUTOBATJAZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 09:58 AM   #7
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

You ask a lot of good questions, and I think you've come to the right place. After more than a decade of collecting statues, I can easily say I've learned the most from being a part of this forum and the friendships and comrades I've met on SF.

Collecting what you love is most important - then you'll always love your collection when you see it (probably ). I haven't regretted one single Batmobile since I started that part of my vault.

It's true, Sideshow statues go up in value pretty often. They also require a larger investment up front obviously. If you intend to flip them and not collect them, SS pieces can frequently be a good investment (though not always).

There's just a lot to learn and know. Read the forum, make some connections with other collectors who know the hobby well, and most importantly have fun with it!
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 10:18 AM   #8
tonytiger
The X-Men

No flipping here,ha don't want the figures to crash like housing market did.I've been a video game collector for years and I have allot of games..So I know a lot about getting carry away with a hobby.But I'm torn on the detail on the sideshow figures, they look so awesome but price is killer, the most I've ever paid for game is 300.00 I've already have the 12"superman KOTOBUKIYA and it looks cool but and I missing out? Will see when the others figures come...will I be happy then? Anyway you guys have great not picking on this rookie.
Old 06-14-2014, 12:37 PM   #9
Sharkey
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Welcome to the forums, and the money pit... I mean hobby

I just started this year as well so thought I'd weigh in too since I was in your place recently.

Just like what AutoBatJazz said, go after what you like and you will be golden. But also keep in mind space! I have expanded a lot recently and it is hitting my limit atm (gotta go get another couple posts and shelves to expand!).

As nbr3 said, I'm sticking mainly to 1/6th scale because those 1/4th are huge (and the wife would prob kill me with our lack of space atm :P )

I thought I would be sticking to just the fine art statues, but recently decided that I would just get nice pieces of my favorite characters regardless of the medium, so now I have several anime pieces which are all small plastic figurines.

Also, can't remember who gave me this advice on here, but make a list of what characters you would like to get and look through people's awesome collections on here (collector's corner at the bottom of the forum) and see what is out there, and make a list of what to keep an eye out for. I have made a spread sheet of stuff that me and the wife want in the future to keep track, and ebay allows you to set alerts for specified searches so you can get an email/phone notification when a particular piece is listed.

Other than that, make sure to set yourself a budget! And feel free to make offers to people on ebay, I have had a lot of luck haggling the price down a bit on different pieces.

As for the sideshow stuff, there are a couple of their pieces that I really want, but are all going for $800+ now on ebay and that is a bit much for me considering the quality and detail/poses, so doubt that I will ever get my hands on them (sorry Gambit and Rouge ). There are some nice sites that collect the going rates and the original price so that you can compare and figure out if it is worth it to you. I recently found this one: http://www.toytracker.net/weta/index.html.

If you want to see my fledgling collection it is over at: http://www.statueforum.com/showthread.php?t=144653.
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 02:39 PM   #10
tonytiger
The X-Men

Wow, that was allot good advise.I was so lost about older statues original prices,I was on E-bay Friday and a Thor statue came up and it was 365.00 shipped.( the one with spinning Hammer mint in the box ) I was going to buy it and I thought it was too much money, but it really wasn't as they go for over 500 dollars. it sold in 5 min later. Live and learn.