Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 01-16-2019, 03:40 PM   #31
Augen
The Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
I wouldn’t commission an artist that I didn’t feel was capabale of drawing one of my top three usual requests. I look at a lot of the artist’s work to determine if they tackle it. In all my years of collecting I think I have only been lackluster about 1 or 2 comissions. And I do the same every time - tell them character and costume. i find if you have too many requirements, of takes away from the artists fun. They have told me that before.

For example, Yardin, draws the best storm in the business today (IMO). Never fails. So it was a no brainer I would request her.

You really should test the commission waters, it’s a fun time.
@bold - I could understand that and any artist should be able to walk away if they don't want to do a piece. That said, you have to live with what they draw and you're out money.

I had an issue recently where I specifically asked for drawing to be black and white and the artist colored it in. It looks good, but it left me feeling disappointed because it wasn't what I wanted. I had to pay him again to get one in black and white.

My avatar is an example where I gave instructions and felt the artist nailed what I wanted. He was nice enough though to give rough sketch options and allow me some adjustments.
Augen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 05:52 PM   #32
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Well I think it’s ridiculous you had to pay for a second piece bc the artists didn’t listen to a simple thing of B&W vs Color! That I would have been upset about that too. Did you at least get both commissions?!

Some artists have given me prelims to pick between, but usually not.
Demona is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 12:45 AM   #33
Mean Green
Fantomah

Wow! Yardin killed that!

Yes, I agree, most of the time, I love giving artists free reign. It's worked out most of the time, but I've definitely gotten pieces that were not great. With that said, this one turned out amazing. Congrats!
Mean Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 01:19 PM   #34
Augen
The Hulk

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
Well I think it’s ridiculous you had to pay for a second piece bc the artists didn’t listen to a simple thing of B&W vs Color! That I would have been upset about that too. Did you at least get both commissions?!

Some artists have given me prelims to pick between, but usually not.
They have been stuck in transit now for weeks (19 days) with no signs of showing up soon. That's not his fault.

I'm worried about gaps in what I want and what artist do. I just received a different commission and I thought it was simple. "You drew this character, I'd like them in this outfit" they nailed the outfit, but the character doesn't look like how they drew them before. They didn't provide samples, just got it in the mail. It sucks because I love their art and I'm really disappointed by what I got.

I have had some good pieces too. It's just when it is a mixed bag and you're out hundreds of dollars on art it gets harder to take a chance on an artist.
Old 01-18-2019, 02:43 PM   #35
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augen View Post
They have been stuck in transit now for weeks (19 days) with no signs of showing up soon. That's not his fault.

I'm worried about gaps in what I want and what artist do. I just received a different commission and I thought it was simple. "You drew this character, I'd like them in this outfit" they nailed the outfit, but the character doesn't look like how they drew them before. They didn't provide samples, just got it in the mail. It sucks because I love their art and I'm really disappointed by what I got.

I have had some good pieces too. It's just when it is a mixed bag and you're out hundreds of dollars on art it gets harder to take a chance on an artist.
Please feel free to share examples.

Commissions aren't for everyone, especially if you have very specific expectations about how the commission might come out. My rule of thumb is to look at the piece objectively and judge the piece on whether or not the artist put in the level of work that was advertised when the commission was accepted. If they do (which most artist do ... at least as a general rule), then I won't complain about the piece. This remains the case even when I may not appreciate the piece as much as I had hoped when imagining what a commission from an artist might look like.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 03:29 PM   #36
Augen
The Hulk

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
Please feel free to share examples.

Commissions aren't for everyone, especially if you have very specific expectations about how the commission might come out. My rule of thumb is to look at the piece objectively and judge the piece on whether or not the artist put in the level of work that was advertised when the commission was accepted. If they do (which most artist do ... at least as a general rule), then I won't complain about the piece. This remains the case even when I may not appreciate the piece as much as I had hoped when imagining what a commission from an artist might look like.
PM you.

I don't want to hurt an artist.
Old 10-27-2019, 09:56 PM   #37
freeform
The Spirit

Got my Hannah from David Yardin

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallery...?piece=1585806
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hannah_Dundee_001_72.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	480.8 KB
ID:	126592  
freeform is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 07:05 AM   #38
punisher129
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Outstanding ! Congrats !
punisher129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 09:12 PM   #39
Arcusprime
Shadowhawk

Wow, these have all been beautiful pieces of art. Lesson learned, if Yardin opens his list again, GET ON IT!
Arcusprime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2019, 02:31 PM   #40
whd
Suicide Squad

Qua-hoon! Congrats!
whd is offline   Reply With Quote