Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Books, Literature & News

Old 04-26-2015, 12:25 PM   #671
Sharkey
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytoxie View Post
The Count of Monte Cristo (1844), by Alexandre Dumas

A movie adaptation on TV caught my attention; however, before getting too far into it, I wondered why I'd never read the book. Checking our bookshelves, I found that my wife had a copy and decided to read it first. 100 pages in, it's been pretty interesting, though I did have to take a break and read up on Napoleon.
It is still to this day one of my favorite books, but seriously do NOT watch the movies. They butchered the story and took vast liberties. I watched the 2 or 3 movie adaptations after reading the book and was more ticked off than enjoying them as I was watching :'(.

I do however highly recommend the amazing "Gankutsuou: Count of Monte Cristo"! It is an anime adaptation of the story in a weird future setting of sorts. The thing that really grabbed me was the unique art style to the animation. It is just character outlines and then a texture in the background that they move over which makes all the clothing and scenery look very beautiful.

Here's a trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaXvyrQv_5M
Crunyroll: http://www.crunchyroll.com/gankutsuou
Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Gankutsuou-Cri.../dp/B001R10BDC
Sharkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 09:13 AM   #672
Babytoxie
Ghost

Thanks for the tips. That anime sounds interesting - I'll look into it!
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 06:38 PM   #673
protector2814
Phoenix

Mythago Wood by the late Robert Holdstock - For some reason, back in 1994, I read Holdstock's The Hollowing, which was the 4th in his Mythago Woods series. I remember enjoying the book but feeling confused, like I was missing something. Well, recently I googled the book and discovered that it was a 4th story. I found Mythago on ebay and am reading it now. -

The series deals with primeval forests (untouched ever by man, not harvested) & a British country estate that borders one in England. A man returns home after WWII & finds that his now dead father discovered that the woods seem to channel archetypal British Mythology into reality through this untouched forest. Not as quaint as it would seem when various Celtic myths takes shape as the son & his tormented brother delve deper into the forest. Holdstock was a British Myth Scholar & his passion & life's work come out vividly in this book and the next. Robin Hood in all his interpretations, Arthur, Faire' Gwenneth, etc... along with the more nasty oral Celtic creations manifest in the woods which, once in, seem to go on forever & w/o structured time. I love Celtic Mythology & this book is just fantastic in it's use of it.

protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2015, 08:46 PM   #674
Babytoxie
Ghost

Re: Mythago Wood

Very interesting... Did some further research on this and will try it. Thanks for the heads-up!
Old 05-03-2015, 10:17 PM   #675
AsOneDead
You got red on you

Quote:
The Count of Monte Cristo (1844), by Alexandre Dumas

A movie adaptation on TV caught my attention; however, before getting too far into it, I wondered why I'd never read the book. Checking our bookshelves, I found that my wife had a copy and decided to read it first. 100 pages in, it's been pretty interesting, though I did have to take a break and read up on Napoleon.
Best book ever!
AsOneDead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2015, 08:31 PM   #676
strife87
Spider-Ham

Recently finished dance with dragons by George r.r. Martin.

Have a couple of endwar books created by Tom Clancy to read, as well as a few mma bios to start, from gsp, Randy culture, etc.
strife87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 12:00 AM   #677
DarkKni9hT
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Currently reading and thoroughly entranced by "The Name Of The Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss. Hands down the best book I've read in years. His eloquence with the written word is unparalleled. Astonishing that this is his first book, better written than most peoples' tenth. Looking forward to "The Wise Man's Fear", the sequel.
DarkKni9hT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2015, 02:30 PM   #678
protector2814
Phoenix

Monster Mash : The Creepy, Kooky Monster Craze In America 1957 - 1972 by Mark Voger.Pretty much a kid in a candy-store with this one. I'm old enough to have caught the tale end of the craze & remember a lot of what's presented in this book. Loaded with pics & interviews, Voger does an adequate job lining the 15 year phenom. up in a straight line. I'm positive it was because of my exposure to all this Monster stuff at a young age as to why I'm still a classic monster freak to this day. Well worth a buy if you're at all into the monsters.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:14 AM   #679
Babytoxie
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
Monster Mash : The Creepy, Kooky Monster Craze In America 1957 - 1972 by Mark Voger.Pretty much a kid in a candy-store with this one. I'm old enough to have caught the tale end of the craze & remember a lot of what's presented in this book. ...
That truly was a great time. The other day, my 6 year-old daughter asked me what kinds of toys I had when I was a kid. I went through the usual list of Mego superheroes, Shogun Warriors, Lincoln Logs... and then I remembered all the crazy monster stuff: 8-inch figures, jigsaw puzzles, cereal premiums, Slurpee cups, glow-in-the-dark posters, etc. Monsters were everywhere, and not just the standard Universal brand.

I'm curious as to why 1972 is considered to be the end of the craze. Did something significant happen that year?
Old 07-16-2015, 05:24 PM   #680
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:

I'm curious as to why 1972 is considered to be the end of the craze. Did something significant happen that year?
That's kinda where the toys, posters, models, etc ... stopped. Twilight Zone, Munsters, Adams Family, Hammer was winding down, etc ... were all off the air at that point. We all moved on to the Partridges & Bradys. I found The Stones & Zep a few years later ... then, it was really over.