Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 11-05-2015, 06:37 AM   #121
Ants
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wah View Post
well, all this stuff about jae is making me really nervous. i actually contacted jae by his email i got from his website about a month or so ago. asked him about his commission rates and if he was taking commissions. he wrote me promptly back and said he was and gave me his rates. i told him i was interested in his full figure rate (11x17) which was priced at $1000. told him what his payment requirements were, he said he required payment upfront in full. i honestly with most of my commission requests prefer to mainly do payment after completed or at least only half up front and the rest when completed. so anyways i told him that i would have to think about it because of that very reason of not being comfortable paying that much up front. i told him i would get back to him when i was ready. a week had passed and he emailed me back telling me he would reconsider and do half up front and then half later so essentially $500 down. to be honest, i would of done that easily before i read these comments about jae on this thread, but now afterwards, i'm really really reluctant to even do that. i dunno.seeing that he stil owes so many people pieces, does make me feel really uneasy about why he would take on another request from me, especially since he is so far behind. what do you guys think? yay or nay?
How disappointing! You should tell him that you're not doing it because of this! That makes me sad
Ants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 07:08 AM   #122
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

Quote:
well, all this stuff about jae is making me really nervous. i actually contacted jae by his email i got from his website about a month or so ago. asked him about his commission rates and if he was taking commissions. he wrote me promptly back and said he was and gave me his rates. i told him i was interested in his full figure rate (11x17) which was priced at $1000. told him what his payment requirements were, he said he required payment upfront in full. i honestly with most of my commission requests prefer to mainly do payment after completed or at least only half up front and the rest when completed. so anyways i told him that i would have to think about it because of that very reason of not being comfortable paying that much up front. i told him i would get back to him when i was ready. a week had passed and he emailed me back telling me he would reconsider and do half up front and then half later so essentially $500 down. to be honest, i would of done that easily before i read these comments about jae on this thread, but now afterwards, i'm really really reluctant to even do that. i dunno.seeing that he stil owes so many people pieces, does make me feel really uneasy about why he would take on another request from me, especially since he is so far behind. what do you guys think? yay or nay?
You are still within the window to get a PayPal refund. I would get a refund and tell him to get back to you after he's resolved his issues with some of these owed commissions.

At this point given the situation you are just going to get yourself into a frustrating experience.

As for clay mann, avoid as well.

Separately isn't jae repped by Albert moy? Has anyone tried to get him involved?
carlito1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:03 AM   #123
lordrycon
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

I think Albert only handles the original art sales.
lordrycon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 10:23 AM   #124
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Quote:
Wow. The fact that you are asking yea or nay is indicative of how artists are allowed to get into these situations. We, as collectors, give far to much rope for artists to hang themselves IMHO. Are you actually considering giving him more money in the midst of the issues of the current commission? This would madden me and I would exercise the paypal refund option and walk away. Granted, I am not a big Jae Lee fan so I am able to view this from the outside. Still, this looks/sounds more and more like a money grab. I also think the rep idea is a good one and I would use it if not to the point of just pulling out the commission altogether.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 11:14 AM   #125
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by JadeGiant View Post
Wow. The fact that you are asking yea or nay is indicative of how artists are allowed to get into these situations. We, as collectors, give far to much rope for artists to hang themselves IMHO.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:18 PM   #126
Wah
Shadowhawk

well, talk about a huge coincidence ..or not. anyways, this morning i got an email from jae (he stated it was a mass email by the way to all those that have recently contacted him about home commissions):

"Hi. I apologize for the form letter, but I'm writing to everyone who's inquired about setting up a commission, that effectively immediately, I will no longer be doing commissions. I'll still be doing small ones on site at conventions, but no more take home commissions. I thought this would be a fun way to get to draw a bunch of characters I normally don't get to draw, but I've been slow to realize even the fun stuff takes time and that my schedule doesn't permit me to do these. I'm really sorry to be breaking any verbal commitments I've made, but since no money changed hands, I hope you understand. "

Well I guess he finally realized he was taking on way to much. Or what are the chances he stumbled on this thread and read all that was written? Timing was really weird in my situation, but anywho, hopefully this means that he will finally get to the commissions he stills owe people that have paid him.
Wah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 12:25 PM   #127
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

well that's a good acknowledgement. now hopefully everyone that has paid gets a good outcome!
Old 11-05-2015, 12:41 PM   #128
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

That is interesting, hard to say when it comes to motives but the timing is interesting and we have seen public discussion prompt artists to communicate in the past ... hoping that all get their work in a timely manner. If it were me, I would pull the paypal plug and look to spend my money elsewhere FWIW.

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 03:22 PM   #129
Wah
Shadowhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito1978 View Post
You are still within the window to get a PayPal refund. I would get a refund and tell him to get back to you after he's resolved his issues with some of these owed commissions.

At this point given the situation you are just going to get yourself into a frustrating experience.

As for clay mann, avoid as well.

Separately isn't jae repped by Albert moy? Has anyone tried to get him involved?
as far as clay mann, on his tumblr he's been posting alot of commission pieces lately, hopefully if he was falling behind, he's now trying to make good and catch up on pieces he may owe. I've wanted a piece from him for awhile now. anyone have his contact info?
Wah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2015, 03:32 PM   #130
carlito1978
Hellfire Club

what clay mann has been posting have been a combination of some really old commissions, some old covers and some new covers. he hasn't been posting new commissions.

clay is highly talented but he takes an incredibly long time with commissions. if you go in, go in expecting several years of wait.