Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 08-08-2017, 09:14 AM   #1661
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowen or Bust View Post
I must be a weirdo as I love many of both Sideshow and XM pieces . If a statue looks great in my eyes, it doesn't matter to me what company produces it. Both SS and XM make some stellar products imo... the upcoming Sideshow Thanos has me excited as it looks beautiful and I saw the XM Iron Fist in person and have to say it is one of the nicest pieces I have ever seen that I must own !!
I don't get why you can't like both companies and not just be exclusive to one .

... oh and this new Magneto, I'm not sure how I feel about it yet lol.
You can, I personally dislike most of XM's face sculpts, that's not to say all of them are bad. Their Black Panther for instance is stellar. But I also have fallen out of love with other companies, like Kotobukiya, honestly their sculpts and what they give you as far as some of their statues just rubs me the wrong way. However I think DCC has come a long way and their statues are getting better. Tweeterhead is on absolute Fire and their sculpts are amazing...I think we all find that some companies deliver what we want, while others don't and it's not that we "hate" them, it's that we dislike what they make, but if you tell that someone who just paid 1k to get a statue, they tend not to take it very well.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:17 AM   #1662
ryuhayabusa6787
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
You can, I personally dislike most of XM's face sculpts, that's not to say all of them are bad. Their Black Panther for instance is stellar. But I also have fallen out of love with other companies, like Kotobukiya, honestly their sculpts and what they give you as far as some of their statues just rubs me the wrong way. However I think DCC has come a long way and their statues are getting better. Tweeterhead is on absolute Fire and their sculpts are amazing...I think we all find that some companies deliver what we want, while others don't and it's not that we "hate" them, it's that we dislike what they make, but if you tell that someone who just paid 1k to get a statue, they tend not to take it very well.

100% truth I think you summed it up nicely with last sentence.
ryuhayabusa6787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 09:36 AM   #1663
WalkerFodder
The X-Men

Quote:
It's like we're the same dude.

..Except I can't even sculpt my hair let alone a statue.
WalkerFodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:02 PM   #1664
BurningRage
Inhumans

Quote:
What you also have to realize is that some companies may pay more for exclusive rights to certain licensed products. I believe Sideshow currently has the exclusive license to make Comic based 1/4 scale statues based on DC Characters, I also believe they have partnered with Prime1 and allow them to use part of their license to make 1/4 scale New52 DC Statues. Which is also why there is a distribution partnership between the two companies.

I also know that Sideshow blocked other companies from getting the 1/4 scale DC Comic License based on their exclusivity. Then again if you pay more for exclusivity, you probably are going to make damn sure it's exclusive.
That's what pisses me off about Deathstroke. They're the only company that can make a licensed classic costume 1/4 statue of him and decided to make up their own costume. A lot of these characters will not get a revisit so I would hope they stick with the look most people prefer.
BurningRage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:53 PM   #1665
DPmaster
A conclusion is simply the place where you got tired of thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningRage View Post
That's what pisses me off about Deathstroke. They're the only company that can make a licensed classic costume 1/4 statue of him and decided to make up their own costume. A lot of these characters will not get a revisit so I would hope they stick with the look most people prefer.
Yeah that Sideshow Deathstroke was...not impressive lol. Sideshow makes some amazing pieces like Captain Marvel, Red Sonja, Thanos on Throne, and Swamp Thing so it's disappointing when they make a highly wanted piece like Deathstroke and it ends up not being what fans want. Can you imagine if XM or Prime 1 had free reign to do a 1/4 scale Deathstroke? I think they'd kill it.
DPmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 12:54 PM   #1666
FJC
Midnighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurningRage View Post
Exactly. Same thing is happening with Magneto.
FJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 01:08 PM   #1667
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPmaster View Post
Yeah that Sideshow Deathstroke was...not impressive lol. Sideshow makes some amazing pieces like Captain Marvel, Red Sonja, Thanos on Throne, and Swamp Thing so it's disappointing when they make a highly wanted piece like Deathstroke and it ends up not being what fans want. Can you imagine if XM or Prime 1 had free reign to do a 1/4 scale Deathstroke? I think they'd kill it.
Maybe, or maybe it looks like their Moon Knight or their overly strapped and buckled Daredevil. Either way, companies make mistakes.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 02:13 PM   #1668
forps
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Guys, this is only the tip of the iceberg. There are a LOT of things going on in this commumity. Darkhumor just unveiled one. Probably even old collectors dont get EXACTLY what is going on. Sideshow and Prime1 should team up to CLEAR the filth in this hobby. The situation is pretty bad. The recent cancellation of some statues from new companies should be a lesson for them. DO NOT fall into the trap of hype. NOONE is going to buy a statue of yours, just from hype. NOONE is going to pay 1k just from pushing and hyping. INVEST your money in providing better sculpts. The market is tooooo crowded nowadays for PUSHING and HYPING to work.

Of course, weve got an upcoming 1/6 line. Brace yourselves, guys. Im already ready to read comments "1/6 is the new 1/4, dudes. Grab them now. They are the new 1/6 grails. Sideshow sucks, dudes!!!"

Sideshow, Prime1 and ECC keep the integrity of this hobby intact. I hope they will keep the same stance (especially Prime1 in the upcoming battle with Sideshow, should NOT adopt "shady" practices). ECC wont, hypers and pushers have no interest in pushing ECC's product. Its way too expensive to mark it up and make easy cash. So ECC and Sideshow along with Prime1 are the companies who "speak" through their sculpts and not through an army of guys pushing and hyping
forps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 02:50 PM   #1669
HBK83
The Avengers

Quote:
Originally Posted by forps View Post
Guys, this is only the tip of the iceberg. There are a LOT of things going on in this commumity. Darkhumor just unveiled one. Probably even old collectors dont get EXACTLY what is going on. Sideshow and Prime1 should team up to CLEAR the filth in this hobby. The situation is pretty bad. The recent cancellation of some statues from new companies should be a lesson for them. DO NOT fall into the trap of hype. NOONE is going to buy a statue of yours, just from hype. NOONE is going to pay 1k just from pushing and hyping. INVEST your money in providing better sculpts. The market is tooooo crowded nowadays for PUSHING and HYPING to work.

Of course, weve got an upcoming 1/6 line. Brace yourselves, guys. Im already ready to read comments "1/6 is the new 1/4, dudes. Grab them now. They are the new 1/6 grails. Sideshow sucks, dudes!!!"

Sideshow, Prime1 and ECC keep the integrity of this hobby intact. I hope they will keep the same stance (especially Prime1 in the upcoming battle with Sideshow, should NOT adopt "shady" practices). ECC wont, hypers and pushers have no interest in pushing ECC's product. Its way too expensive to mark it up and make easy cash. So ECC and Sideshow along with Prime1 are the companies who "speak" through their sculpts and not through an army of guys pushing and hyping
Idk I feel like xm is the most in touch with their fans. And Kevin is pretty good communicating with with prime pieces though I think prime1 has way too much going on and we may not see some pieces for years. XM has a vision of what they want to make and sticks to it, they aren't all over the place like sideshow , They change concepts based on consumer feedback. They absolutely take care of their customer. That's what I don't agree with on the sideshow keeping the integrity. Xm most definitely does.
The guys hyping xm products are hyping their resell value. Just Don't go for it. They make great statues with switchouts and great packing for good price.
Sideshow is the one losing it's fan base. I think if they valued our opinions more than they would be unstoppable. They wait too long to reveal the product and by then they are too far along to take into consideration our opinions. Which is fine they are successful but like you say with a crowded market people are going to gravitate towards who is giving them what they want and love. That's prime1 and xm. ECC is great but not everyone can afford that part of the hobby.
But If you notice sideshow went from 1000 es on most ex pieces to 500 and not being able to sell those either on many pieces. Having to offer discounts and rewards points for people to buy their product. All it's takes to sell out every piece is ask us what we want in a statue. One simple question on this magneto statue would have had an instant sell out at over 1000 ex es. All they had to ask is what would you like in a magneto statue. We got nothing we wanted on this one.
HBK83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 03:16 PM   #1670
forps
A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBK83 View Post
Idk I feel like xm is the most in touch with their fans. And Kevin is pretty good communicating with with prime pieces though I think prime1 has way too much going on and we may not see some pieces for years. XM has a vision of what they want to make and sticks to it, they aren't all over the place like sideshow , They change concepts based on consumer feedback. They absolutely take care of their customer. That's what I don't agree with on the sideshow keeping the integrity. Xm most definitely does.
The guys hyping xm products are hyping their resell value. Just Don't go for it. They make great statues with switchouts and great packing for good price.
Sideshow is the one losing it's fan base. I think if they valued our opinions more than they would be unstoppable. They wait too long to reveal the product and by then they are too far along to take into consideration our opinions. Which is fine they are successful but like you say with a crowded market people are going to gravitate towards who is giving them what they want and love. That's prime1 and xm. ECC is great but not everyone can afford that part of the hobby.
But If you notice sideshow went from 1000 es on most ex pieces to 500 and not being able to sell those either on many pieces. Having to offer discounts and rewards points for people to buy their product. All it's takes to sell out every piece is ask us what we want in a statue. One simple question on this magneto statue would have had an instant sell out at over 1000 ex es. All they had to ask is what would you like in a magneto statue. We got nothing we wanted on this one.
Sideshow loses customers to Prime1, pal. Prime1 is the ONLY true competitor for Sideshow. Many guys are turning full-Prime1. 2 1/3 statues from Prime1 (2*900 = 1800d) and Sideshow loses 3 potential customers for her 1/4 line (600d each). Simple as that. If you take into consideration that collectors now relate Prime1 to BETTER quality and higher VALUE for money than Sideshow, the fact that edition sizes are going down (bar Thanos on throne were Sideshow gave us a grail, A BEAST), its pretty obvious what is going on. Check out the new Berserk line or the Batman lines from Prime1. They "eat" customers from Sideshow, night and day. Or the reveal of Swamp Thing 1/3 and how it killed any hype for Sideshow's one.

Or the new WW on horse (Gal Gadot), guys are already saving for that. Priced @ 2k (or >2k), Sideshow is gonna lose another 3 potential PFF sales. I bet that WW on horse is the next GRAIL from Prime1

Sideshow controls the situation with XM or HMO or CC or such small companies like a boss. Prime1 though is a true future competitor. Realistic takes on sculpts, big sculpts, GREAT QC, great licenses, she also learns quickly. Prime1 is ALREADY the standard for movie sculpts where Sideshow thought that movie sculpts dont sell well enough. Prime1 simply KO'ed that bias (along with Blitzway). Other companies dont even exist for Sideshow, they are too small or too niche (eg CC is only producing dinos nowadays) or are scaling back (PCS), they pose zero threat to Sideshow. NO further discussion.

Better to go back to the tweaks for this Magneto PFF. Im interested to see what they are going to change
forps is offline   Reply With Quote