Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus View Post
You're so desperate to defend this film is hilarious
Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by T.MAC View Post
Just one more example of how TLJ sucked donkey balls.

And that's a fact.

Donkey.

Balls.
I think I've just lost some more respect for you, G-man. Not only did you just troll me but you are now endorsing a notorious troll? C'mon, man. I know we don't like each other but you don't have to become scum to try and get under my skin. I prefer the intellectual side of your arguments. This assho!e image you're adopting doesn't suit you.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 08:49 PM   #1062
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
maybe, but the fact that he said "fly through a star" to me implies that hitting it would be the problem and not just the gravity.
Really? To me, it implies exactly the opposite. Flying through a star implies that you would make it at least to the center of a star, and then probably are making your way out of it as well. I'd think you'd be burned to a crisp in the outermost regions on the way in, if the star itself was the issue.

Regardless, an off-hand comment by a character like Han at the beginning of the franchise (when the ground rules were still being created) doesn't exactly say "written in stone" to me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnclone View Post
When you think of all of the super advanced technology in the Star Wars galaxy it does seem a bit unlikely that scientists and researchers wouldn't have seen the huge potential in using jumping to hyperspace as a weapon, if it were as "all powerful" as we see it depicted in TLJ. I think that if such a phenomenon existed though, they would also have come up with defenses for such an attack. Just for instance, things like anti hyperspace rays designed to knock an invader back out of hyperspace, or an alarm that immediately moves a ship out of the way of an approaching ship, possibly even making a very short jump to lightspeed itself just to move away from the approaching vessel, or maybe some sort of phasing device that could temporarily phase a ship to where being struck by another ship jumping to hyperspace would indeed just pass right through it harmlessly.

I mean, do we really want to believe that this is the first time this technology was used as a weapon in the known galaxy? Nobody in the whole known galaxy ever thought of it until a purple haired lady in a wrinkly dress came up with it for the first time?

So the real problem as I see it is this is a writing problem. This would definitely have been a known issue in space combat, perhaps for thousands of years ship captains would have known of this. Surely it would have, and with all of their technology and advancements, as well as the incredible expense of planets and empires in developing all of these spaceships and putting them up in space, doesn't it make sense that there would be safeguards already in place to defend a ship from this very sort of attack?
They have. That's essentially what I was alluding to. A 'gravity well' (real term) is the pull of gravity exerted by a large body. An 'Interdiction field' (fiction) is an artificial gravity well, and it is employed to pull ships out of hyperspace.
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:25 PM   #1063
MrYac
Hercules

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
Regardless, an off-hand comment by a character like Han at the beginning of the franchise doesn't exactly say "written in stone" to me.
not with the current lack of respect the series has unfortunately been doomed too, that's for sure.
MrYac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 09:38 PM   #1064
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrYac View Post
not with the current lack of respect the series has unfortunately been doomed too, that's for sure.
Well, pretty much every movie, not to mention ancillary material (whether it's still canon or not) expanded on or changed things that came before. But I do agree - to a degree, in that I believe Rian just made too many alterations to established conventions, for one movie to handle, especially for the numbered series. I'm much more apt to appreciate his efforts for his own trilogy.
Old 05-18-2018, 09:55 PM   #1065
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Well, pretty much every movie, not to mention ancillary material (whether it's still canon or not) expanded on or changed things that came before. But I do agree, in that I believe Rian just made too many alterations to established conventions, for one movie to handle, especially for the numbered series. I'm much more apt to appreciate his efforts for his own trilogy.
We didn't see eye to eye with TLJ but I always appreciate your objectivity, Zen. Good post.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:23 PM   #1066
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
We didn't see eye to eye with TLJ but I always appreciate your objectivity, Zen. Good post.
Appreciate that. Likewise.

I've still only seen TLJ once, hence why I've hesitated to engage in too many violent arguments (er, I mean discussions) over specific plot points. There's still plenty of time for me to p!ss you off!

But, let's see... Solo in a week. Maybe I'll just move on.
Old 05-18-2018, 10:32 PM   #1067
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Appreciate that. Likewise.

I've still only seen TLJ once, hence why I've hesitated to engage in too many violent arguments (er, I mean discussions) over specific plot points. There's still plenty of time for me to p!ss you off!

But, let's see... Solo in a week. Maybe I'll just move on.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:03 PM   #1068
T.MAC
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
I think I've just lost some more respect for you, G-man. Not only did you just troll me but you are now endorsing a notorious troll? C'mon, man. I know we don't like each other but you don't have to become scum to try and get under my skin. I prefer the intellectual side of your arguments. This assho!e image you're adopting doesn't suit you.
Why do you take anyone who disagrees with you as a personal affront?

So quick to call names, like a petulant child.

TLJ sucked and sucked big time. I figured nothing could be worse than the prequels.

Boy was I wrong.
T.MAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:19 PM   #1069
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.MAC View Post
Why do you take anyone who disagrees with you as a personal affront?

So quick to call names, like a petulant child.

TLJ sucked and sucked big time. I figured nothing could be worse than the prequels.

Boy was I wrong.
Amazing that I have to point this out, but there is a difference between disagreeing with someone and belittling them and their points. Pretending to laugh at someone simply because they are on the side of the discussion you don't agree with is what's childish. Not to mention that I have acknowledged multiple people who don't share my opinion of this film as respectable individuals with valid viewpoints. But that won't fit the narrative of me being the narrow minded a-hole you're trying to make me out to be, does it? So please, continue with the baseless accusations. They are oh so convincing.
Old 05-18-2018, 11:40 PM   #1070
qz33
Doctor Doom

The Last Jedi will always have 5 redeeming scenes for me.
1. Luke explaining the Force to Rey

2. True original mold puppet Yoda, made with the same eyes and painted by the same lady that painted the original. At first I actually believed they were using Return of the Jedi footage.

3. The throne room battle, of course (, which really makes me pine for the real Royal Guard, this new costume designer just doesn't have it)
Killing Snoke was great. Didn't need to know anymore about Emperor 2.0. If Rian just hadn't shown the light saber turning in a separate shot (instead just a side screen "before turn" and "after turn" that you had to re-watch the movie to see almost like the Jedi texts at the end) it would have had a much more massive impact

4. Luke's Standoff, (of course again). The kiss for Leia, "no one's ever truly gone" and for just a moment the movie actually managed to make you wonder if it was about to go down. And "see ya around kid".
-No matter what else is wrong or right with this movie that whole scene proves just how much Rian cares Star Wars.

5. Kylo's slide out his quarter's door when he first starts telepathy with Ren. That was so Solo.

Oh and a sixth honorable mention for smashing Kylo Rens stupid ugly mask and making fun of it.

I can tear this movie to shreds all day long but those there make it worth the rest.
qz33 is offline   Reply With Quote