Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 03-12-2017, 02:20 PM   #1
protector2814
Phoenix

R.L. Stine's Man-Thing (slight spoilers)

Anyone else read this? I completely missed the R.L. Stine Phenomenon but my kids all read him so I've glanced thru his books, watched the Goosebumps tv show w/ then & saw the recent Jack Black movie, so I'm pretty familiar with him. I just finished the 1st issue of his take on Man-Thing & I'm really not sure of what I think. Ted Sallas has his mind back as Man-Thing & is plopped into a very unusual surrounding & situation that took me a full issue to digest. I'm not so sure that this new title isn't being specifically written for R.L.'s core youth audience. It semi-feels like it is. Odd book.

protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 03:25 PM   #2
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Haven't read this yet but it got strong reviews. Used to read his Goosebumps books to my kids in the '90s, we may well have had all of them. Thought his writing was awful but, then, I was an adult reading kids books to my kids who just loved them at the time.

I sent my middle kid, now 24, a link to the glowing newsarama review as I thought he might get a nostalgic kick out of reading this but don't know if he's picked it up.

Thought I'd pick this up to give it a whirl, but haven't gotten to my LCS yet.
wktf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 06:22 PM   #3
protector2814
Phoenix

Please do. As you & I are big fans of the old Man-Thing runs, would love to read your take on Stine's take.
Old 03-18-2017, 12:01 PM   #4
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Just read it and it didn't really work for me. RL Stine's writing feels forced and still targeted to a grade school audience. It just didn't pull me in and the Different Direction, per the title, for this book just feels so off-character and such a divergence from his original series or even how he was used so well a few years back in Thunderbolts that it just doesn't work for me.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:17 PM   #5
protector2814
Phoenix

Kind of agree with you. In my 1st post I said that I wasn't that sure what to think & did feel like Marvel may be mining with Stine, his book audience. Still, I'm gonna give it another issue or two. I love Man-Thing & miss his meanderings thru the MU. Plus, I wanna see if Stine uses his love of monsters & spookiness to pump some old-school, greatly missed horror into the character. I'll let you know in this thread.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:43 PM   #6
wktf
Columnist Thunder Mod
Super Moderator

Please do. I'm going to bail but if you think it gets better then I'll pick up the next issues.