Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Exodiuz's Vids & Video Games

Old 10-21-2016, 03:22 PM   #21
Valkyrie
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
Not true. Third party support has been awful, starting with N64. Only NES and SNES were successful in that regard, unless you want to count the gimmicky Wii, with it's tons of shovelware. And we probably should, because it actually was their only really successful console outside of the first two.
Perhaps. I owned an N64 for one day before I exchanged it for a PS One. So I can't really comment on that one way or another.

The Wii's third party support was indeed mostly made up of shovelware. No argument there.

The glory days of the NES and SNES are what I want Nintendo to get back to. Just good, solid consoles that plays lots of good games.
Valkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:24 PM   #22
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh-a-tron View Post
The reason Third Party Support was not there for the N64 was because of Nintendo's resistance to the move to Discs. Remember 1996 Sega had moved to disc the previous year, Playstation just came out the year before also and PC had been Discs for a while.

All Third party support was going to different media and Nintendo refused to move with it.
Oh, I know. I wasn't debating the reasons. But that lack of support continued to the Gamecube, which in part forced Nintendo to change things up with the Wii.

Nintendo goes their own way, no doubt.
ZenLogikos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:25 PM   #23
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie View Post
Perhaps. I owned an N64 for one day before I exchanged it for a PS One. So I can't really comment on that one way or another.

The Wii's third party support was indeed mostly made up of shovelware. No argument there.

The glory days of the NES and SNES are what I want Nintendo to get back to. Just good, solid consoles that plays lots of good games.
Yeah, in some ways, the Switch is much more in line with those early days, with just a slight gimmicky aftertaste.

I'm optimistic. Seems like it's more about OPTIONS now, not gimmicks. I don't require mobile, but it's there if you want it. Nice.
Old 10-21-2016, 03:29 PM   #24
Valkyrie

Quote:
Yeah, in some ways, the Switch is much more in line with those early days, with just a slight gimmicky aftertaste.

I'm optimistic. Seems like it's more about OPTIONS now, not gimmicks. I don't require mobile, but it's there if you want it. Nice.
Yeah, I may come off as skeptical but I really do want them to succeed. I've been pretty disappointed with this generation, so it would be nice to see Nintendo shake things up.
Old 10-21-2016, 03:30 PM   #25
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Oh, I know. I wasn't debating the reasons. But that lack of support continued to the Gamecube, which in part forced Nintendo to change things up with the Wii.

Nintendo goes their own way, no doubt.
Yeah that's part of the issue, however, I think he Switch will kind of change things. Most Software companies make their games available via disc or digital download I don't think a locked SD card is going to be much of an issue.

So in a sense Nintendo get's to go it's own way but stay current at the same time.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:31 PM   #26
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

Quote:
Yeah, I may come off as skeptical but I really do want them to succeed. I've been pretty disappointed with this generation, so it would be nice to see Nintendo shake things up.
It's literally Been 20 years since I've owned a Nintendo, this is first thing they've done that I've actually been interested in.

I'm just hoping this thing is affordable.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 03:37 PM   #27
Valkyrie

Quote:
It's literally Been 20 years since I've owned a Nintendo, this is first thing they've done that I've actually been interested in.

Well, you can get a PS4 or Xbone for $300 these days I think. I would hope they keep the Switch in that range to stay competitive. I would hope for $350 tops. Maybe $400 with a pack in game.
Old 10-21-2016, 03:43 PM   #28
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Yeah that's part of the issue, however, I think he Switch will kind of change things. Most Software companies make their games available via disc or digital download I don't think a locked SD card is going to be much of an issue.

So in a sense Nintendo get's to go it's own way but stay current at the same time.
Yeah, the tech has finally caught up with Nintendo. Flash cards can be huge. I kind of like it. Discs are on the way out. Physically larger, scratchable, deteriorate-able(lol), mechanical drive (so prone to break), more power required because it's NOT solid-state.

Quote:

Wii was the first system I passed on. And I haven't bought a WiiU yet. Was waiting for further announcements/backward compatibility concerning Switch/WiiU.

I've really hated NOT owning a Nintendo system.
Old 10-21-2016, 03:54 PM   #29
Valkyrie

The only game that tempted me to buy a Wii U was Bayonetta 2 (Because reasons ).

I didn't go through with it though.

Old 10-21-2016, 03:58 PM   #30
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
The only game that tempted me to buy a Wii U was Bayonetta 2 (Because reasons ).

I didn't go through with it though.
I actually bought that a couple weeks ago. My first and only WiiU game. I've got a collection of Wii games as well, waiting for a system...