Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 02-06-2017, 06:04 PM   #1
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

I am officially done with the modern comic market!!

I have been collecting comics for as long as I can remember and its just so sad to see whats become of this industry in recent years. Vampirella is without question one of my single favorite female comic characters (its really a tie between Red Sonja and Vampirella) and my Vampirella collection is extensive, almost as big as my Michael Turner collection. I own the 100% complete Vampirella Magazine collection, with 95% of the magazines being at a 8.0 or higher grade and the lowest likely being a 6.5 to 7.0 grade. This was one of the collections I lost in the fire we had back in 2008 and when I decided to replace my collection, I painstakingly took the time and effort to track down the highest grade copies I could find, that were at least reasonably priced as some sellers just ask ridiculous prices on high grade collectibles. It took me just over 3 years to finally complete my Vampirella magazine collection again.

On top of that I own pretty much every Vampirella comic that has ever been released, at least up until a couple years go. There is no doubt that the quality of Vampirella had gone down dramatically in the final years that Harris Publications had ownership of the IP. They had clearly lost faith in the franchise so when Dynamite announced in March of 2010 that they had purchased Vampirella, I was really excited and that excitement was quickly dialed up about 20 notches when that first #1 issue hit comic shops. It was clear from that very first issue that Dynamite was very serious about raising the quality of Vampirella back up, especially in regards to the quality of the artwork.

With that #1 issue they produced some of the nicest Vampirella covers I had seen in a VERY LONG time. There were variants from J Scott Campbell, Alex Ross, Jelena Kevic-Djurdjevic, Fabio Neves, Joe Madureira, etc. All in all, that was one of the most successful launches art/cover wise I had ever seen and thankfully for Vampirella fans, that was just a small taste of what was to come. Lucio Parrillo and Ale garza's latter work in the series was absolutely amazing. In particular, Lucio Parrillo's work simply blew me away and he is now one of my single favorite artists. I honestly consider Lucio Parrillo's cover runs with Vampirella, Dejah Thoris, and Red Sonja/Queen Sonja to be the single best cover runs in the entire history of the comic market. Every single cover produced by Lucio was absolutely brilliant and they just got better and better with each successive issue. I personally consider Lucio's Vampirella #19 cover to not only be the single best Vampirella cover to date, but also the single sexiest comic cover ever produced period.

Not to mention, those Alex Ross covers became some of my all time favorite Vampirella covers:

At the time that series was produced, the most expensive prices I paid for the variants was around $20. Unfortunately it has all gone down from there. Dynamite is without question one of the greediest companies on the market. As time went on and new Vampirella and Red Sonja volumes were produced, they cut back dramatically on using high profile artists for most of thier covers and instead went with lesser known artists. The only one that really resonated with me and became a pretty popular artist herself was Jenny Frison. The vast majority of the other covers were mediocre at best. I actually contacted Lucio Parrillo and asked why he was no longer doing covers for Dynamite on a regular basis and his response was that Dynamite simply wasn't paying enough to do cover work anymore so it simply wasn't worth it to him.

What makes this even worse is Dynamite started producing regular variants (B&W versions, Blood red versions, virgin copies etc.) and the price of those variants skyrocketed. I continued to collect many of Dynamite's titles even in spite of all these changes as I simply ignored most of the variants, only buying a few here and there if they really appealed to me, but things have just continued to spiral out of control and not just with Dynamite. DC and Marvel continue to produce more and more variants that continue to cost more and more money and one of the worst aspects to modern comics is you have no clue just how many copies exist. Instead of doing variants like the comic industry used to do variants, that being limiting them to a certain number of copies like 500 and including a COA, they now use ratio's instead and rarely ever produce COA's. What we see now is 1:10 variants, 1:25 variants, 1:50, 1:100, 1;200 and I think were now even seeing 1:500 variants. So collectors really have no idea how many copies really exist as you can find various sales numbers for given months but the comic companies simply don't release the total numbers of copies produced for a particular comics, which means its impossible to figure out how many variants exist. So even tho 1:100 may sound like a really rare book, there might be thousands of copies out there.

Another one of the trends that drives me crazy is once a comic artist gets popular like J. Scott Campbell or Artgerm, you rarely ever see thier covers anymore outside of variants. So if you like artists like Campbell or Artgerm and you want to collect thier comic covers....well, its going to cost you a lot of money to do so. Just head over to J Scott Campbell's storefront and see how much he is charging for many of his variant covers. And he is actually now charging extra to sign anything. All purchases made from the J. Scott Campbell store used to automatically come signed. Now you have to pay an extra $5-$10 to get his signature on a book or comic. Everywhere I look its just greed, greed, greed, with prices continuing to soar out of control. People that spend $100+ on a modern comic are insane in my opinion.

I have really been at the last straw for some time now, and that final straw finally broke earlier today. I learned in an email today that Dynamite was producing Vol.7 (or Vol.3 since Dynamite took over) for Vampirella and even released images for the various covers. Here is the regular cover you can buy for 25 cents, a sales tactic obviously aimed at getting people to invest in the series:

And here are the variant covers:

Joseph Michael Linsner Sneak Peek Variant Cover

J Scott Campbell Sneak Peek Variant Cover

The prices for those 2 comics are $50 for the Linsner and $100 for the Campbell cover. Not to mention, Dynamite is now charging $150-$200 for thier signed 18x24 lithographs which don't even have edition sizes and aren't nearly as nice as Sideshow prints. Thier non signed prints cost $90+.

Again, everywhere I look in regards to the modern comic market, all I see is greed, greed, and more greed. I am officially throwing in the towel on all modern comics and plan to sell off 90% of my collection before this bubble bursts and make no mistake about it, the modern comic market is a bubble that is going to burst. It may be 2 years, 3 years, 5 years etc, but it is going to burst. Its 100% guaranteed at this point. All the signs point in that direction.

I am sticking with golden age, silver age and maybe a few bronze age here and there. I will never purchase another modern comic ever again. I just purchased Artgerm's 3 issue set of his latest Wonder Woman variant and that will literally by my last modern comic purchase. Even the price of the hard cover omnibuses are ridiculously high, tho I will likely continue to buy some of those from time to time. Again, from this point forward its golden age, silver age, some bronze age, some TPB's, and a few omnibuses here and there. Everything else I am passing on in a big way and I will honestly be trying to sell my modern collection as fast as humanely possible.

Sorry for the long post, but I just had to get that off my chest. The modern comic industry has become a joke and I honestly feel sorry for the people that will continue spending these ridiculous sums of money on modern variants. In the long run you will be lucky to get even 50% of your money back, if that!. In fact, when the market crashes its likely many of those variants will be selling for a few dollars apiece as there will be so many of them at that point that the sheer volume of them will make high values impossible to maintain.

So best of luck to those that continue to invest thier hard earned money on modern comics! This is one collector that is calling it a day on that aspect of the market.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 06:29 PM   #2
Marvelito
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Quick question... does actually reading the comics factor in there anywhere for you? Or is it just about collecting cover variants etc.?
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 08:34 PM   #3
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marvelito View Post
Quick question... does actually reading the comics factor in there anywhere for you? Or is it just about collecting cover variants etc.?
Well, thats an easy question to answer when speaking to just the covers as I rarely ever buy a comic just for the cover. Its only with my absolute favorite artsits that I buy variants at all. Artists like Michael Turner, Artgerm, J. Scott Campbell, Lucio Parrillo, etc.

Its a much more difficult question to answer when speaking to the artwork in general as one of the main things I love about comics is the artwork. Don't get me wrong, I love great comic stories just like most people and have read more comics than I can remember, but its really the art that is my true love when it comes to comics. For example, I intricately know every single interior art panel Michael Turner has ever drawn. I read Michael Turner's Fathom series a couple of times over the years, but I have skimmed through each of those comics just for the sake of enjoying the artwork at least 25+ times over the years.

So for me the 2 are really intrinsically connected as I love both aspects of comics. I love the art side more, but the stories are still a vital aspect of my buying comics. I am definitely NOT one of those people that buy comics just for the covers. Again, there have definitely been variants that I have purchased for the artwork, but I still purchased the non variant release and read the story. Again, my 2 favorite female comic charatcers are Sonja and Vampirella and I have read every Vampirella and Sonja story ever put on paper, at least that I am aware of, and I guarantee there are not many people who buy those comics who can say the same thing.
Old 02-06-2017, 09:41 PM   #4
moon_knight1971
Rescue

You won't be missing anything. This is the gimmick 90's all over again. You'll be able to read anything digitally online anyway for a fraction of what 1 of these new variants are costing.
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 09:50 PM   #5
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon_knight1971 View Post
You won't be missing anything. This is the gimmick 90's all over again. You'll be able to read anything digitally online anyway for a fraction of what 1 of these new variants are costing.
That's what I do nowadays. Digital is the way to go.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 03:47 AM   #6
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon_knight1971 View Post
Either digtal or hard cover TPB's. For my absolute favorite characters, I will buy hard cover TPB's if the artwork is really well done and the story is a quality story. Otherwise, I would also go the digital route and wait for large sales where I could buy a bunch of stuff for dirt cheap. Humble Bundle has actually had some quality comic budles in the past. I expect we will see more and more of those as time goes on.

Whatever I decide to do, my days of buying individual modern comics has come and gone. Maybe one day, after the variant bubble bursts, I will buy some of my favorite variant covers for dirt cheap.

There are a few aspects of the modern comic market I will continue to support 100%. Art books, sketchbooks, and artist edtions by IDW.
Old 02-07-2017, 09:14 AM   #7
ReplicantSavior

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
wait for large sales where I could buy a bunch of stuff for dirt cheap.

Whatever I decide to do, my days of buying individual modern comics has come and gone. Maybe one day, after the variant bubble bursts, I will buy some of my favorite variant covers for dirt cheap.
Sorry to hear about that fire. How did that happen?

I wait for the sales for modern comics and go to places like Midtown during the holidays where they have something like 40% off. They do it on occasion for variants too. But it usually is a bubble when you have a lot of people speculating about values and buying just to flip for profit. Eventually people will say enough or that's too much. You don't want to play hot potato and be stuck.

I do agree that the variants are crazy prices. I'm sure I posted about it before or there is a thread around here about it. I remember that Adam Hughes Harley Quinn and other issues going for a lot around the time of Suicide Squad. There is a thread on the CGC forum about hot modern comics that I check monthly or so out of curiosity. It's basically a flippers game for 9.8 grades on many modern variants. Many aren't even good covers but just rare in the ratio made. Which we can assume that small local comic shops aren't ordering hundreds of many titles. I would be surprised if the shops I used to go to receive more than 2 or 3 of the better variants.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 03:54 PM   #8
Pyrotwilight
U talkin' to me?

I think it's too easy to get wrapped up in variant covers.

Some comics will have a ridiculous number.

Just read for the story and it'll be easy to go on without going nuts.

There's been the occasional variant I found stunning on books but didn't have the cash to pay for it (whatever the cost) just move on to the next comic I say.
Pyrotwilight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 03:59 PM   #9
Marvelito

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
Well, thats an easy question to answer when speaking to just the covers as I rarely ever buy a comic just for the cover. Its only with my absolute favorite artsits that I buy variants at all. Artists like Michael Turner, Artgerm, J. Scott Campbell, Lucio Parrillo, etc.

Its a much more difficult question to answer when speaking to the artwork in general as one of the main things I love about comics is the artwork. Don't get me wrong, I love great comic stories just like most people and have read more comics than I can remember, but its really the art that is my true love when it comes to comics. For example, I intricately know every single interior art panel Michael Turner has ever drawn. I read Michael Turner's Fathom series a couple of times over the years, but I have skimmed through each of those comics just for the sake of enjoying the artwork at least 25+ times over the years.

So for me the 2 are really intrinsically connected as I love both aspects of comics. I love the art side more, but the stories are still a vital aspect of my buying comics. I am definitely NOT one of those people that buy comics just for the covers. Again, there have definitely been variants that I have purchased for the artwork, but I still purchased the non variant release and read the story. Again, my 2 favorite female comic charatcers are Sonja and Vampirella and I have read every Vampirella and Sonja story ever put on paper, at least that I am aware of, and I guarantee there are not many people who buy those comics who can say the same thing.
Cool, thanks for answering. I agree about digital, only way I buy and read comics these days. I'm even thinking of just subscribing to the services like Marvel's or Comixology's and just reading books there without owning them. I'll just buy what I love and feel I need to own.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 04:33 PM   #10
MrJones
The Stones, I love the Stones. I watch them whenever I can. Fred, Barney...

I've just now personally started to really got into comics, I mean I read them as a kid, but not weekly or monthly or anything.

However, it took maybe 6 months of picking up some weekly runs before I gave up and got into Omnibus collected editions. I don't give a crap about variant covers or whatever is happening in modern comics. I have really enjoyed grabbing these huge, beautiful hardcover books, enjoying a full story arc and seeing what I have missed out on over the last 60+ years.
MrJones is offline   Reply With Quote