Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 11-15-2022, 11:42 PM   #28841
damienjakk
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Wakanda Forever - 4/10

I could probably write 10 pages about this, but damn what a complete mess. Felt like 2 or 3 different movies patched together. I'm sure they had their challenges with his passing, but they should have just done a complete rewrite. Bloated run time that you absolutely feel every second of, nonsensical character choices, baffling scene structure, subpar CGI, etc.

The opening was really good, genuine heart wrenching stuff, and Angela Bassett was amazing. Everything else either dragged on too long, was boring padding, or made zero sense even in the world it was being told in.
damienjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 05:29 AM   #28842
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Justice League (Snyder Cut) 8/10

I finally found the time for this 4 hour long film. I liked it, certainly the best DCEU work of Snyder, so much better than that lack luster Batman V Superman: Dawn of Justice.

Ondine (2009) 6/10

They tried to make this realistic mermaid film, when they explained if the girl was mermaid or not, it was so over the top and crazy 1 in a 1000000 coinsidace... It was so unrealistic.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 09:16 AM   #28843
jeremydmc
Black Panther

Wakanda Forever - 6/10

I liked the tribute to Boseman and the parts with Namor, otherwise the score would be lower. Other than that it was mostly slow, boring and forgetable......and too long.
jeremydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 10:16 AM   #28844
damienjakk
Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

Terrifier2 - 7/10

I really loved the first one, probably an 8 or 9 for me. While I do like 2 it's just too damn long. Large chunks of this movie are completely pointless and if were removed would have no effect on the plot at all.

Aside from that it's fantastic. Easily the best and most uncomfortable scenes of killing and torture I've seen in a while. If you liked part 1 then definitely watch part 2, just brace for that 150 minute run time. Also Sienna's mother steals every scene she's in, I was rooting for her the whole movie
damienjakk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 06:16 PM   #28845
Ralek
Fantastic Four

Watched Black Adam and Wakanda Forever the same night, so I'm gonna sneak in both:

Black Adam - 3/10

Pros:
The Rock is likeable as ever and has some cool action sequences. The visual effects for Cyclone and Dr. Fate just work. Brosnan as Dr. Fate is perfect casting and the best part of the entire film.

Cons:
Feels way too long and I was ready to leave when the CGI-fest 3rd act showed up. It's a The Rock movie first and foremost. There is too much slow-mo and it is poorly used. Jaume Collet-Serra is a very poor man's Zack Snyder. Feels like a exhausting prequel movie to Superman VS Black Adam. Big no on anything they did with Hawkman. The JSA was completely wasted on this movie.

Lasting Impact: Super happy that James Gunn instead of The Rock took over the DCEU ...

Wakanda Forever - 8/10

Pros: It's not a Thor movie. Outstanding performances all-around, with Angela Bassett throwing her hat in the ring as the finest performance in the MCU to date. Namor is no comics accurate, but really works as a character. Well done action scenes through-out. Deals with real emotions and stakes. Characters evolve significantly during it's runtime. Creative use of water as a weapon. Beautifully filmed and scored. It's a movie, but more importantly it's actual cinema and not just a teaser for the next MCU-project. A midcredit scene that kept 100% real.

Cons: Some uneven pacing. The 3rd act confrontation feels not as big as it needed to. A bit too long and at least one particular subplot went nowehere anyways. Despite the fantastic performances, it is too female centric with even M'Baku taking a total backseat.

Lasting Impact: Achieves the impossible twice in actually creating a commercially viable, artistically intact while genuinely touching tribute to Chadwick Boseman and managing to make Phase 4 go out on not just it's highest note or a MCU-high-note, but an overall cinematic high note in general - mad props to Ryan Coogler & team!
Ralek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 06:20 PM   #28846
Zombie
The unstoppable force has met the unmovable object

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralek View Post
Watched Black Adam and Wakanda Forever the same night, so I'm gonna sneak in both:

Black Adam - 3/10

Pros:
The Rock is likeable as ever and has some cool action sequences. The visual effects for Cyclone and Dr. Fate just work. Brosnan as Dr. Fate is perfect casting and the best part of the entire film.

Cons:
Feels way too long and I was ready to leave when the CGI-fest 3rd act showed up. It's a The Rock movie first and foremost. There is too much slow-mo and it is poorly used. Jaume Collet-Serra is a very poor man's Zack Snyder. Feels like a exhausting prequel movie to Superman VS Black Adam. Big no on anything they did with Hawkman. The JSA was completely wasted on this movie.

Lasting Impact: Super happy that James Gunn instead of The Rock took over the DCEU ...

Wakanda Forever - 8/10

Pros: It's not a Thor movie. Outstanding performances all-around, with Angela Bassett throwing her hat in the ring as the finest performance in the MCU to date. Namor is no comics accurate, but really works as a character. Well done action scenes through-out. Deals with real emotions and stakes. Characters evolve significantly during it's runtime. Creative use of water as a weapon. Beautifully filmed and scored. It's a movie, but more importantly it's actual cinema and not just a teaser for the next MCU-project. A midcredit scene that kept 100% real.

Cons: Some uneven pacing. The 3rd act confrontation feels not as big as it needed to. A bit too long and at least one particular subplot went nowehere anyways. Despite the fantastic performances, it is too female centric with even M'Baku taking a total backseat.

Lasting Impact: Achieves the impossible twice in actually creating a commercially viable, artistically intact while genuinely touching tribute to Chadwick Boseman and managing to make Phase 4 go out on not just it's highest note or a MCU-high-note, but an overall cinematic high note in general - mad props to Ryan Coogler & team!

i just want to say that your explanation and description was a pleasant read. please keep the movie reviews coming.
Zombie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2022, 08:02 PM   #28847
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

TAR (2022) - Set in the international world of Western classical music, the film centers on Lydia Tar, widely considered one of the greatest living composer-conductors and first-ever female music director of a major German orchestra.

Cate Blanchett is magnificent as a famous conductor who gets canceled after a scandal. I think she's in every scene and would expect an Oscar nomination. 9/10
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2022, 01:54 AM   #28848
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Black Panther: Wakanda Forever 9/10

The Best Film of Phase 4 IMHO.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2022, 07:16 PM   #28849
ParisDean
Kiss my shiny metal arse!

El agente topo / The Mole Agent (2020) - A private investigator in Chile hires someone to work as a mole at a retirement home where a client of his suspects the caretakers of elder abuse.

This is a documentary that leans into docudrama at times, but the underlying message of showing life in a retirement home was very real. 7/10
ParisDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2022, 10:02 AM   #28850
Agent23
Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Threads - 9/10

The Day After - 7.5/10
Agent23 is offline   Reply With Quote