Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 09-26-2014, 01:31 PM   #2031
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanchuck View Post
Do you have anything on order from XM Studios?
No I don't. But what does that have to do with anything? If you have something to say, just say it. Don't beat around the bush.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 01:34 PM   #2032
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by built2shred View Post
I think Koto's Spider-Man is pretty sweet and creative swinging by the decaying column.. to bad it's not 1:4 scale though....

I do think the com lost some of it's specialness when they decided to reuse the pose on Campbell's 1:5 scale Spider-Man.
I agree. Sosa is my favorite sculptor and his depiction of Spidey is my favorite. I was always critical of the base but I can live with it.

And about the Commiquette, I see what you're saying. I was kinda disappointed that Sideshow decided to play it safe with the Campbell version just to appease those that do not have the original.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:36 PM   #2033
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsarri View Post
Then you and I see "creativity" from two different perspectives. I personally don't think that depicting Magneto sitting on a throne is creative or mind blowing. Impressive yes, based on the level of detail, but nothing that breaks the four walls of artistic and technical achievement. On the other hand, the Spidey Comm presents a challenge of balance between the statue pose and the position of the base. Even after all this years after its release, I haven't heard anybody complaining about leaning issues. As we all know, gravity is the greatest enemy of any statue. This piece has not only beaten the odds; it continues to do it every day.
I agree but that's also due to the fact that Spidey's signature power is his ability to stick to surfaces and climb up walls. So for Spidey it makes sense to have him in a pose like that.

That is not a groundbreaking pose though. It does what it needs to do for Spidey.

Add to that Spidey is a light statue and its not hard to understand why there are no leaning or falling off the wall statues. I don't know what XM plans to do on their Spidey, but I don't see any way in the world they could have a spidey doing the same thing. Their statues are much more solid and heavier than SS.

Believe me, I owned the SS Spidey Comiquette at one time and it still is one of the top 5 SS statues they have done to date. But like I always say....statues are always meant to be made better. A better Spidey can, has, and will be done better. I'm not saying it will be done by XM, but "records are always meant to be broken."
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 01:39 PM   #2034
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricstone View Post
I agree but that's also due to the fact that Spidey's signature power is his ability to stick to surfaces and climb up walls. So for Spidey it makes sense to have him in a pose like that.

That is not a groundbreaking pose though. It does what it needs to do for Spidey.

Add to that Spidey is a light statue and its not hard to understand why there are no leaning or falling off the wall statues. I don't know what XM plans to do on their Spidey, but I don't see any way in the world they could have a spidey doing the same thing. Their statues are much more solid and heavier than SS.

Believe me, I owned the SS Spidey Comiquette at one time and it still is one of the top 5 SS statues they have done to date. But like I always say....statues are always meant to be made better. A better Spidey can, has, and will be done better. I'm not saying it will be done by XM, but "records are always meant to be broken."
I totally agree. There will always be something better around the corner. That and discussing about it is what makes this hobby fun. Undoubtely, records are meant to be broken.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:41 PM   #2035
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by loricstone View Post
I don't know what XM plans to do on their Spidey, but I don't see any way in the world they could have a spidey doing the same thing. Their statues are much more solid and heavier than SS.

Just need to beef up the support rods, wouldn't be that hard to do, the base would also have to be bit bigger on the backside for a XM version in order to counterbalance the weight. When companies get in trouble is when they try and cut corners in order to improve profits that you get statues that start to lean & crack.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 01:43 PM   #2036
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
I totally agree. There will always be something better around the corner. That and discussing about it is what makes this hobby fun. Undoubtely, records are meant to be broken.
Agreed!
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 01:43 PM   #2037
Titanchuck
Cyclops
Adamantium Member

Quote:
No I don't. But what has that to do with anything? If you have something to say, just say it. Don't beat around the bush.
I don't beat around the the bush I'm very straight forward, but with strategic tact..but I do collect facts like any rational person does before I determine others intentions. .i am also not a keyboard tough guy so to go back and forth thats for chicks...looking at your pass statements in different XM threads and now seeing you don't even have anything on order speaks for itself
Titanchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 01:54 PM   #2038
The Mule
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askani81 View Post
I agree that XM Studios Magneto is a great piece. I love it too! However, I have to agree with jpsarri that the creativity is simply missing. As you can see from the attached thumbnails (taken from bowen and sideshow websites), there seems to be a union of the sentinel base and throne. Bowen started producing statues with sentinel base and it seems XM studios is doing likewise.
Quote:
Then you and I see "creativity" from two different perspectives. I personally don't think that depicting Magneto sitting on a throne is creative or mind blowing. Impressive yes, based on the level of detail, but nothing that breaks the four walls of artistic and technical achievement. On the other hand, the Spidey Comm presents a challenge of balance between the statue pose and the position of the base. Even after all these years after its release, I haven't heard anybody complaining about leaning issues. As we all know, gravity is the greatest enemy of any statue. This piece has not only beaten the odds; it continues to do it every day.
Just because a similar concept has already been used doesn't mean that creativity is missing.
As much as Doom is a great statue, it's not the first character sitting on a throne.

Also, I think that you two are missing the point that makes the XM Magneto so great: it perfectly captures the character.
Having him sitting on a throne made with parts of the X Men's worst enemy, on the ruins of his former foe's hidden base, it's a work of creativity. It conveys ALL the aspects of the character in one single solid piece, you see both a display of his power and of his psychology. The ruthless mutant antihero and the nostalgic, disilluded man.
The s**tload of details and technical prodigy comes after the perfect depiction of the character. And as good as the Spiderman comiquette is, the simple display of the character's physical prowess is not on par with the character depth displayed by Magneto, imho.
You can't say that Magneto doesn't break the four walls of technical achievement, and then use the balance between figure and base as an example of how Spiderman does it, because that's a "mere" technical achievement, after all.
I think we have completely opposite views on the matter, in Magneto I see one of the incredibly few statues that are able to embody the true soul of the character they represent, and it comes before technical excellence. Maybe it's because in the comics, Spiderman is much flatter and monothematic than Magneto as a character, but I don't see the same achievement in capturing the very soul of the character in the Comiquette.
The Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 01:57 PM   #2039
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titanchuck View Post
I don't beat around the the bush I'm very straight forward...but I do collect facts like any rational person does before I determine others intentions. .i am also not a keyboard tough guy so to go back and forth thats for chicks...looking at your pass statements in different XM threads and now seeing you don't even have anything on order speaks for itself
Let me break it to you. Do you see my title. Do you think I got there by kissing ass? I am a very inquisitive person and I have the right to be so. I do a lot of things to ensure the well being of this forum on a daily basis. Things that you will never get to see or have the opportunity to experience first hand. Believe me.

Did I, at any moment, say something derrogative about XM products? Have I call them "Crap", "----" or anything else that is offensive. You just see what you want to see because you are not willing to have a descent dialogue. I am ok with disagreement as long as is presented with facts. We are all entitled to our opinion. This is a free forum and everyone is welcome to the conversation. If you don't like it, then find a close minded forum to share your time and your views.

This level of disrespect among members cannot be tolerated. So you and any other dumbass trying to stir the pot, needs to stop.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:58 PM   #2040
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mule View Post
Just because a similar concept has already been used doesn't mean that creativity is missing.
As much as Doom is a great statue, it's not the first character sitting on a throne.

Also, I think that you two are missing the point that makes the XM Magneto so great: it perfectly captures the character.
Having him sitting on a throne made with parts of the X Men's worst enemy, on the ruins of his former foe's hidden base, it's a work of creativity. It conveys ALL the aspects of the character in one single solid piece, you see both a display of his power and of his psychology. The ruthless mutant antihero and the nostalgic, disilluded man.
The s**tload of details and technical prodigy comes after the perfect depiction of the character. And as good as the Spiderman comiquette is, the simple display of the character's physical prowess is not on par with the character depth displayed by Magneto, imho.
You can't say that Magneto doesn't break the four walls of technical achievement, and then use the balance between figure and base as an example of how Spiderman does it, because that's a "mere" technical achievement, after all.
I think we have completely opposite views on the matter, in Magneto I see one of the incredibly few statues that are able to embody the true soul of the character they represent, and it comes before technical excellence. Maybe it's because in the comics, Spiderman is much flatter and monothematic than Magneto as a character, but I don't see the same achievement in capturing the very soul of the character in the Comiquette.
I see your point and I can agree.