Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > eFX, HCG & CM

Old 09-30-2005, 07:21 PM   #1
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

A Tale of Two Boxes.

This has been box week. Really, really big, gigantic box week. On Wednesday I got my Sauron box. Damn, that was one big box. Open her up and son of a gun, Sauron is damaged. Well back he goes. I've gotten an RMA from Sideshow and he sits in the hallway waiting for UPS to take him back.

On Thursday I got my MR AT-AT signature series. Makes Sauron's box look like a shoe box. Big, gigantic, freaking monstrous box. My wife took one look at it and asked me with a glare, "Does someone live in their?" Then she stopped talking to me for a couple of hours, no joke. I left the box be figuring it would be best to let things settle down with the better half. She's cool today and expressed some curiousity as to what lived in the box so I finally opened it and not without a bit of trepidation. It looks like UPS tried their best to do what The Rebellion had a hard time doing, bring down an AT-AT. Here's a shot of the box. They wrapped brown paper around one end. It looks like they covered water damage caused when they dunked the box in Lake Pontchartrain on it's way here. Here's a picture and that's the good side of the box you're looking at.

As I was putting the AT-AT together I found two small pieces of resin on the base. Sh*t! Once I had the AT-AT attached to the base I went crazy going over it looking for where those two pieces could have come from. I found nothing. I breathed a sigh of relief and was ready to write it off as some left over resin from some other broken statue. Then I took a good look under the AT-ATs belly and darned if I don't find the damage. The jet engine like nacele was broken. Here I am pointing to it (go for it cap70, now you have a picture of my finger, do your worst):

Here's the damage close up:

Now I've got a sizeable broken piece but I'm only looking at two small pieces of resin. I look all over the place and can't find a damn thing. Where the hell is that big piece? I finally look inside the box and embedded in the protective styrofoam, and I do mean embedded, is the missing piece. I had to pry it loose with a tweezer. Here it is:

I literally had to pry that piece loose with a pair of tweezers. That's the most confusing part of all this. It was like someone shot that piece into the styrofoam from a gun. If it broke off during shipping thanks to UPS's careful handling I can see it rattling around loose inside like the other two pieces. I just don't see how this thing could have broken off during shipping and embedded itself like that. Oh well. I've contacted my dealer and I'm sure he'll make this one right.

Now I've got two freaking big boxes in my hallway and we're having a hard time getting around. Arghhhhhh!
Zurbaran1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 07:23 PM   #2
boondocksaint
Painter / Troublemaker
Producer

thats my kinda box!
boondocksaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 07:26 PM   #3
cap70
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Yup, that suxs Zurb. Like we talked about before, mine have a crack, even tough my piece stills holding on. I couldn't see it since it faced backwards, but after seeing the pics you sent me, I checked in the back and saw the same thing. What a shame from MR to ship an expensive item like this one with ONLY the outter box. It SHOULD had an own box.

Edit: The "crack" on mine is in the back of the AT-AT.
cap70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 07:34 PM   #4
boondocksaint
Painter / Troublemaker
Producer

sorry to hear that zurby
Old 09-30-2005, 08:09 PM   #5
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by boondocksaint
thats my kinda box!
It's big enough for you to fit into.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:10 PM   #6
leks
The quickest way to double your money is to fold it in half and put it back in your pocket.

Now I am starting to see why you guys still have the death penalty
leks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 08:10 PM   #7
P1X4R
Producer

sorry to hear that Zurb. actually, i'd better open mine up completely to check. i only took the base out for a few quick shots. i'll assemble mine tomorrow. i've been in the middle of moving my stuff into storage that i've delayed opening it up completely only because i know i'll have to pack it back in again. i hate moving.
P1X4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 08:14 PM   #8
P1X4R
Producer

speaking of monstrous boxes. here's my list in order of difficulty.

1) MR AT-AT (1st and 2nd)
2) Sideshow 1:1 Predator bust
3) Attakus Jabba the Hut
4) Sideshow Sauron statue
P1X4R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2005, 08:22 PM   #9
Zurbaran1
Mod Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1X4R
sorry to hear that Zurb. actually, i'd better open mine up completely to check. i only took the base out for a few quick shots. i'll assemble mine tomorrow. i've been in the middle of moving my stuff into storage that i've delayed opening it up completely only because i know i'll have to pack it back in again. i hate moving.
This one is a real pain because you can't just take it out to look at and then pop it back in. You have to attach the base flip it over and then go at it. I've now managed to reverse the whole process and get it back into it's box. Big PITA that was. And, I just got off the phone with MR and they are going to order me a replacement. He's e-mailing me a prepaid return label within the next hour. I have to drop it off at FedEx which is a bummer. I was hoping they'd come to get it as that box is heavy! Oh well, I'll keep my fingers crossed on the replacement.
Old 09-30-2005, 08:31 PM   #10
boondocksaint
Painter / Troublemaker
Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zurbaran1
It's big enough for you to fit into.

maybe not!