Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Just The Facts... > Collection Corner

Old 12-13-2021, 03:43 PM   #161
SONICobra
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karnis View Post
That is super sharp looking, great collection of lots of different stuff. I have a deep appreciation for those old school Spawn figures, still have a handful of them myself. Congrats!
thanks! yeah i love these old figures, they were the beginning of this whole thing. they really hold up imo, especially by todays standards. i was reinspired to pick up some of the ones i skipped / missed when they came out. its too bad mcfarlane doesnt have the same standards now a days with monotone paint schemes and hyper articulation but they seem popular with figure collectors so i guess ill just enjoy these classics
SONICobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2021, 07:15 PM   #162
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Random thoughts...

Sorry, but I think I have to repeat every time I come back to your thread - your butcher block shelving is awesome. Is it still great, in your eyes? No splitting, or other issues with it, etc.?

I've got that Symbiote Spidey too, but I never noticed just how bent his head is before. Like, if you tilted your head to look at the body straight...man, his head is whack! lol

I was always going to do light grey on my collection/gaming room walls, but I've got Ultra Pure White (Behr) trim throughout the house. You've got me rethinking that, as I like that darker grey trim with lighter grey walls. Happen to know what paint it is, offhand?
ZenLogikos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 12:54 AM   #163
SONICobra
Batman

Yeah butcher blocks are holding up great, they look exactly the same as the day I assembled them. I even checked all the ones from last year with a level before assembling the new batch and they are perfectly straight - no bowing or warping. The way they manufacture these things it’s basically a solid piece of wood until you go out of your way to destroy it

It’s a very aggressive pose, probably the most dynamic in my collection - he’s got all kind of body parts moving in all kinds of directions lol

Originally I was going to go with white trim as it’s what I’ve always seen and what I had in my last house. Then I saw some pictures from an art exhibit from the last god of war game and they had grey walls with dark grey trim and I fell in love with the look. It really transforms the space and subsequently influenced a lot of the design elements afterwards. Its not something I would do in any other area of my house but for a space like this it really works IMO

The colors are sherwin williams “grey sanctuary” on the walls and dutchboy “padlock grey” for the trim. I used a different brand of paint but you can usually get any color made in any brand, they just look it up

I was trying to put together a “tutorial” of sorts on how to do these shelves and had pictures documenting the process then my old phone crapped out on me just as I was starting to assemble so I don’t have any pictures after the pipe frame was put together
Old 12-14-2021, 04:24 AM   #164
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Awesome man. Thanks for the info. That grey on grey is sharp, I agree! And you're right, it's definitely a classy 'art exhibit'-type vibe.
Old 12-14-2021, 09:09 AM   #165
jeremydmc
Black Panther

Terrific displays. Love your SONICave!
jeremydmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 09:49 AM   #166
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
I was always going to do light grey on my collection/gaming room walls, but I've got Ultra Pure White (Behr) trim throughout the house. You've got me rethinking that, as I like that darker grey trim with lighter grey walls. Happen to know what paint it is, offhand?
I love painting and taking chances with colors. Paint isn't permanent. Don't like it - change it. Get bored with it - change it. I agree it can sometimes suck to paint, but there is instant change which makes me feel so productive and refreshed. I really hope you give this grey on grey a try and take some picks for us!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONICobra View Post
I was trying to put together a ?tutorial? of sorts on how to do these shelves and had pictures documenting the process then my old phone crapped out on me just as I was starting to assemble so I don?t have any pictures after the pipe frame was put together
Oh man this hurts because I was one of the people who wanted a step-by-step in how they were made. Guess I will just have to admire yours from photos

Sidenote - in one of the last photos brown suit Wolvie has a custom head. Is it your sculpt? Also, how is Grifter coming along? He seems to just be lacking arms.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 11:43 AM   #167
SONICobra
Batman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenLogikos View Post
Awesome man. Thanks for the info. That grey on grey is sharp, I agree! And you're right, it's definitely a classy 'art exhibit'-type vibe.
thank you, thats definitely a tremendous compliment. most people who visit do say it has a museum type vibe, its flattering but i think its the dark grey trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremydmc View Post
Terrific displays. Love your SONICave!
thanks brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
Oh man this hurts because I was one of the people who wanted a step-by-step in how they were made. Guess I will just have to admire yours from photos

Sidenote - in one of the last photos brown suit Wolvie has a custom head. Is it your sculpt? Also, how is Grifter coming along? He seems to just be lacking arms.
i can post what i have of the build, i have up to where the shelves are installed on the frames - just nothing for the backs, tops or lighting sadly

yeah that guy kind of snuck into the corner of a shot but yeah hes a wip. that head on in that pic is a thiago provin sculpt, i also have a alvaro stuardo portrait and i will be customizing a wolverine comiquette head to fit as well. going to be making a new base and a little paint work and should be good

most of the customizing on grifter is complete, it arrived damaged (not a big deal) and i had to break it some more so it can be painted eventually. all thats left is to do a few small repairs and rekey items that had to be removed for paint. i will probably get back on him when im done with the ones im working on currently (spawn, the mask and the goon)
Old 12-14-2021, 01:31 PM   #168
veryfigurefans
Borrow money from a pessimist, they don't expect it back.

The new photos are great. I watched your collection like a movie. They look like very pretty. Congratulations again.
veryfigurefans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 08:53 PM   #169
ZenLogikos
S.H.I.E.L.D.
Adamantium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demona View Post
I love painting and taking chances with colors. Paint isn't permanent. Don't like it - change it. Get bored with it - change it. I agree it can sometimes suck to paint, but there is instant change which makes me feel so productive and refreshed. I really hope you give this grey on grey a try and take some picks for us!!
I've done a lot of professional interior painting (side job) the last few years, so I'm getting a little tired of it...but otherwise, I'd agree! Bolded is absolutely accurate and true for me. Well said.

I'm something of a luddite when it comes to phones/cameras. Mine is a 12+ year old flip. I'm more of an email guy. But - I'm sure I'll want to show it when I'm done, so I'll figure something out, or bite the bullet and finally upgrade!
Old 12-16-2021, 07:22 AM   #170
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

How do you like those Berserk Deluxe HCs ? amazing manga right ?

I'm so jaleous of your Guyver statues. (:
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote