Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Forum Supporters > Sideshow Collectibles

Old 12-12-2023, 04:01 PM   #1
Onewiththeforce
Deadman

Statues I regret buying in 2023.....

Hey all,

As we are approaching the end of the year of 2023....which I cannot wait for it to be over personally. LOL!!!!

As I am sitting in my office/man cave and am looking around at my pieces......it dawned on me that there is a piece that I purchased second hand and the more I look and sit with it the more I realized that I made a mistake in getting it. So yes, for me I DO have a regret in purchasing this piece because after sitting with it for some time, I have come to realize that it may have been more of a fail than a success. Not that it's a bad statue, bad paint job or bad concept........on the contrary. In fact, the paint is pretty good and the scale and concept are not too bad. I just feel that this piece does NOT in the slightest describe or depict the character, her personality and come to think of it......her overall look at all.

The piece I am referring to is the SS Black Cat (modern version) PF that is meant to be a companion piece with the one handed Spidey on crane, goblin and venom (all similar bases).

The more I sit with this piece, the more I kick myself as this piece,.....her costume, her hair (especially in the front and top), her make up, especially her lips.., her eye make up, etc. really does NOT say "Felicia" Black Cat to me at all. Even her pose is not flirty and set in a way that I feel that even as she may be trying to evade an explosion underneath her.......she would still do so in the sexiest, sassiest way possible.
This one did not do it. I tried to convince myself that this piece was cool and worked.......but in the end.....it so does not sell as what Black Cat should be. Hence, I will be posting this one for sale as she goes down on the top of my list for "Statues I regret buying in 2023."

Anyone else......???
Onewiththeforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 05:34 PM   #2
mmk123
3 kinds of people: those who can count & those who can't.

The only one I slightly regret is the Tweeterhead Black Adam. It is a fantastic statue and I got it for almost a 1/3rd of the price it retailed for on Ebay but I kind of jumped the gun since it was so cheap.

as for any of the other statues I purchased I do not regret any of them. I was able to fill in my Bowen collection, which was very satisfying.
mmk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 05:38 PM   #3
ukshaun
Hercules

I have one slight regret and that's the Audrey Hepburn as Holly Golightly by Star Ace Toys

It is not a bad piece. The jewelry piece made from plastic, painted silver looks cheap.
Hepburn's pupils are not evenly aligned, unlike the prototype which are 100% aligned (on the horizontal axis). It bothers me somewhat to point i might sell the piece.
ukshaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 05:52 PM   #4
AC_808
Hercules

No regrets. If I have any regrets, then that means I didn't do my job in being picky of the pieces I get. I try to only get the pieces that impress me and of characters I only want.
AC_808 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 05:56 PM   #5
craigcliff1
Zot

DIDN'T BUY ANY STATUES.
Drat didn't sell many.
My lack of sales, statues, shipping too much has made me QUIT statue collecting
craigcliff1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 06:00 PM   #6
Onewiththeforce
Deadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmk123 View Post
The only one I slightly regret is the Tweeterhead Black Adam. It is a fantastic statue and I got it for almost a 1/3rd of the price it retailed for on Ebay but I kind of jumped the gun since it was so cheap.

as for any of the other statues I purchased I do not regret any of them. I was able to fill in my Bowen collection, which was very satisfying.
I am so sorry to hear that. I think a part of that rationale was that won me over with this SS Modern Black Cat as well. I was able to score it at a sweet deal from a local seller at a price that was FAR less of even the initial retail price. So with that said, I think that mentally I convinced myself to grab it. I think I already knew that deep down inside I was having doubts about it. I guess I just had to live with it for a bit.

ugh.
Old 12-12-2023, 06:02 PM   #7
BraveStar
Frackin!

It is my first year collecting statues which has been a blast so far! Favorite Award goes to He-Man on Battle Cat by Tweeterhead. I have been a little too gung ho on the Iron Studios pieces and regret starting the X-Men Age of Apocalypse line. I'm already ALL IN on their MOTU line. Also afraid to sell for fear of breakages.
BraveStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2023, 06:07 PM   #8
Onewiththeforce
Deadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukshaun View Post
I have one slight regret and that's the Audrey Hepburn as Holly Golightly by Star Ace Toys

It is not a bad piece. The jewelry piece made from plastic, painted silver looks cheap.
Hepburn's pupils are not even aligned, unlike the prototype which are 100% aligned (on the horizontal axis). It bothers me somewhat to point i might sell the piece.
My lady's daughter would have loved that. She loves Audrey Hepburn and Marilyn Monroe. LOL!!

So sorry that the piece fell short for you. There is certainly a following for those pieces for certain.
Old 12-12-2023, 06:14 PM   #9
Onewiththeforce
Deadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC_808 View Post
No regrets. If I have any regrets, then that means I didn't do my job in being picky of the pieces I get. I try to only get the pieces that impress me and of characters I only want.
No regrets...."No RA-Grets"? Not even one letter..?

(LOL!!!!! We're the Millers!)

See what I did there.? LOL

"Know what I'm Sayin?" LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	millers.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	519.7 KB
ID:	166603  
Old 12-12-2023, 06:21 PM   #10
Onewiththeforce
Deadman

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcliff1 View Post
DIDN'T BUY ANY STATUES.
Drat didn't sell many.
My lack of sales, statues, shipping too much has made me QUIT statue collecting
oh no. I am so sorry to hear that.

The prices have become a thing of horror that is for sure.

I am so very sorry. I wish we could see a light at the end of the tunnel but I think we live in a world where of the company is able to get away with charging 700. for statues and people pay it.....then there should be no reason in their minds why they should drop the prices back down to the 4-500 that they once were at.