Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 09-15-2009, 05:11 PM   #521
patrickwm68
The Flash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bezzerkerr View Post
Isn't the release date 9-22-09 ?
Yeah on DVD but they had some screenings recently and I was wondering if anyone had see it.

DVD Talk gave it 5 out of 5 stars.
patrickwm68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2009, 05:14 PM   #522
Raven1014
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by patrickwm68 View Post
Yeah on DVD but they had some screenings recently and I was wondering if anyone had see it.

DVD Talk gave it 5 out of 5 stars.
It's been available on In Demand on Direct TV for the last week or so. Haven't had a chance to see it yet.
Raven1014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 01:35 PM   #523
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Necro thread back from the grave just in time for Halloween.

Planning on starting my traditional Horror film marathon in the month of September rather than waiting until October like usual in an attempt to squeeze more in. Will report back once I kick it off.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 03:21 PM   #524
protector2814
Phoenix

Back from the dead indeed. I've become a much, much bigger Hammer Freak since this thread died so many years back. As much as I love Lee's Dracula movies, I can now say that Hammer's Karnstein Trilogy are now my favorite Vampire movies. They all deal with a Vampire novel actually written before Bram wrote his Dracula. The Karnsteins are a Vampiric family who are resurrected every 50 - 100 years in this trilogy.

1) The Vampire Lovers (1970) which has Peter Cushing in a semi-Van Helsing role whereby his Daughter is seduced by a gorgeous Vampiress whom Cushing invites into his home & all sorts of hell breaks loose. Kick-off

2) Lust for a Vampire (1971) in which the Vampiress is resurrected & comes to raise hell in an all-girls school. The opening Vampire scene which takes place in the Karnstein Family Graveyard is my favorite Vampire scene ever on film. It's still terrifying almost 50 years later)

3) Twins of Evil (1971) Where we go back in time & see the beginnings of the Vampire curse on the Karnsteins. Count Karnstein is just a killer Vampire, worthy of Lee & set to take over Hammer's Vampire franchise ... but the studio fell soon after. Peter Cushing plays a Solomon Kane like Witch & Vampire Hunter in this film & I swear, Hammer could have made his Puritan Hunter a spin-off he was so good in it.

Then we have, outside of the trilogy, but still relating to The Karnsteins

Vampire Circus (1972) - Where a defeated Karnstein Vampire swears revenge as he's being staked & is resurrected by his lover & her traveling circus to reap vengeance upon the town that killed him. A very sexy Hammer Vampire movie.

Captain Kronos, Vampire Hunter (1974 & I believe, Hammer's last movie) which looked to be the beginning of a new franchise. A French retired Officer & his trusty sidekick pick up a gorgeous Caroline Munroe, & all hunt Vampires in the French mountains, finally going up against the Karnsteins.

All 5 of these movies are excellent & if you could find them all, they would make for one hell of a Vampire/Halloween marathon.

protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:04 PM   #525
Hellboy
Right Hand of Doom
Adamantium Plus Member

Solid list. Of those I’ve only seen Captain Kronos and Twins of Evil. Ironically the latter was based on your recommendation as I’d never seen it in it’s entirety before that. The only problem with these films is finding them to watch. I wish Hammer Horror got more love but unfortunately they’re trapped in obscurity.
Hellboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 06:57 PM   #526
protector2814
Phoenix

You can find Lust, Circus, & Lovers all on Amazon. The DVD copies are affordable. I also find a lot of harder-to-find Hammer at conventions. I'm going to the MidAtlanticNostalgiacon in Maryland this coming September. I find tons of really obscure horror movies at this show.

https://www.midatlanticnostalgiaconvention.com/seminars
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 07:03 PM   #527
Josh-a-tron
"Revenge is a Dish Best Served Cold"
Sculptor

I actually just ordered new Steelbook copies of Beetlejuice, The Exorcist, IT (1990) and IT (2018) for October movie watching. I may see what else is on sale next month as well.
Josh-a-tron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:28 PM   #528
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

here are the marathons im considering as part of the Halloween horror-fest:

Hellraiser series (i've yet to marathon these, there are some I havent even seen)

Phantasm series (I marathoned these all when Ravager came out, but damn I love this series, especially 1&2)

Childs Play series (been a while since I've seen the originals)

Psycho series (I havent seen the sequels, heard they arent good though, but i'd still watch lol)

Exorcist series (same as above, havent seen the sequels but heard they were ass)

Amityville Horror series (same deal as psycho and exorcist)

Scream series (I like these movies way too much and I dont know why lol maybe its cause I grew up in the 90's)
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:34 PM   #529
Mister H
Gen 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicksilver View Post
here are the marathons im considering as part of the Halloween horror-fest:

Hellraiser series (i've yet to marathon these, there are some I havent even seen)

Phantasm series (I marathoned these all when Ravager came out, but damn I love this series, especially 1&2)

Childs Play series (been a while since I've seen the originals)

Psycho series (I havent seen the sequels, heard they arent good though, but i'd still watch lol)

Exorcist series (same as above, havent seen the sequels but heard they were ass)

Amityville Horror series (same deal as psycho and exorcist)

Scream series (I like these movies way too much and I dont know why lol maybe its cause I grew up in the 90's)

Exorcist III was really good I thought. Patrick Ewing cameo was really unexpected first time I saw it.
Mister H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:39 PM   #530
Quicksilver
Suicide Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister H View Post
Exorcist III was really good I thought. Patrick Ewing cameo was really unexpected first time I saw it.
I think its one of those things that whether I end up liking the sequels or not, I still as a horror fan have to at some point say i've seen them lol

other marathons being considered:

Candyman series

Clive Barker - Apocalypse Trilogy (The Thing, Prince of Darkness, In the Mouth of Madness)

Dario Argento - Three Mothers Trilogy (Suspiria, Inferno, Mother of Tears)

or even just a marathon of other Dario movies like Deep Red, Tenebrae, Phenomena, Stendhal Syndrome, Two Evil Eyes...

damn so much good stuff, I might need to start my marathon in September! come to think of it, my horror marathon never really ends, it goes all year, it just feels better around Halloween
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote