Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Home Grown > Artist's Alley

Old 01-15-2009, 09:45 PM   #1
horseman
Doh!

Yeshua upon the Tree: A Terrible Beauty, an Immense Paradox

I pause and recognize that this art may disturb many. How the cross can be a thing of beauty is strange to those that are not its adherents. Those of the Faith view the suffering and death as Divine love and mercy for all humanity. Indeed, it is a terrible beauty, an immense paradox.

For the most part, in this country we tend to make Christ look like he was a man out of European culture, or sometimes African American. I like the idea of Christ looking more like a Jewish man, side locks and all. I did it that way because I have never seen him depicted on a cross in a manner that authentically indicates that he was a Jew. His hair has the hint of "ruddy" so as to suggest that he is from the line of King David, like the scriptures tell that Messiah would be.

http://www.thouforsaken.blogspot.com/

My pencil drawing and some details about the art are at the site, as well as some ideas behind the art and things that I needed to get off my chest. If you are not into talking about religion, politics, and racism, just check out the art. The art encapsulates the written ideas that are there anyway. My art is a mixed media sandwich made up of many, many layers of digital painting with my pencil drawing being the meat in the middle.
What about the sparks, keep them or not?

Peace.
horseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:48 PM   #2
Argonus
Kindly Asked To Leave

Stunning piece.

Very well done.

If that's the piece in its entirety, the sparks seem unnecessary, since you asked.
Argonus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 09:05 AM   #3
maddmaestro
Death is hereditary.

Nicely done. As a piece of art it definitely has its merit. Not being christian, I can still see the inherent message of your work, whether or not I agree with it. I think that the sparks do serve a purpose of illustrating your light source. Keep up the good work.
maddmaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:55 PM   #4
horseman
Doh!

Yeshua upon the Tree - fire burns below the cross

EVEN THE CRIMINALS CRUCIFIED WITH HIM WERE INSULTING HIM THE SAME WAY. NOW FROM THE SIXTH HOUR THERE WAS DARKNESS OVER ALL THE LAND UNTIL THE NINTH HOUR. AND ABOUT THE NINTH HOUR JESUS CRIED WITH A LOUD VOICE, SAYING, ELI, ELI, LAMA SABACHTHANI? THAT IS TO SAY, MY GOD, MY GOD, WHY HAST THOU FORSAKEN ME?

That is the text that the art is based upon. It indicates that the sky went dark. The idea behind the sparks is that Roman soldiers made torches and/or bonfires that burn below the cross - that is where the sparks come from. I was afraid that some may think that Christ was being burned at the stake and so was uncertain about keeping the sparks.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:35 PM   #5
Overcast
I took an IQ test and the results were negative.

Don't like preachy art, but that's my opinion.
Overcast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:22 PM   #6
horseman
Doh!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overcast View Post
Don't like preachy art, but that's my opinion.

Yeah, I feel you. But I just make art about what I have a passion for. Hey... it's either this or sexy girls. At this point in my life, it's this.

Old 02-10-2009, 09:21 PM   #7
DisturbedEarth
42.7 percent of all statistics are made up on the spot.

I like it a lot. Very thoughtfully rendered. Are those images i see incorporated in the tree bark or just my imagination?

DisturbedEarth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 04:31 AM   #8
Voshizle@gmail.
Madness takes its toll. Please have exact change

Wow amazing piece. Powerful and moving.
Voshizle@gmail. is offline   Reply With Quote