Statue Forum 





StatueForum on Twitter StatueForum on Facebook StatueForum on YouTube
Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Home Economics > Cooking Class

» Spotlight
DGK Prime 1 Kin. Robin DGK Prime 1 Kin. Suguru Tweeterhead Current Interview:
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-13-2010, 11:42 PM   #11
ansel39
ROT Minister of Truth, Justice, and the Texans Way
 
ansel39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: 4
Posts: 6,521
my wife was at some wineries today while i was at the con.

as far as wine coolers i have a six bottle one. it is great if you have a dinner party. you have all the wine you need chilled.
ansel39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:50 PM   #12
VinReaper
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!
 
VinReaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Out of my mind! Be back in 5 minutes! (+12517 to the Post Count)
Posts: 56,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by ansel39 View Post
my wife was at some wineries today while i was at the con.

as far as wine coolers i have a six bottle one. it is great if you have a dinner party. you have all the wine you need chilled.
Not if I am on the guest list!

You best have a tub of ice out back!


VR
VinReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:50 PM   #13
hawkeyethearcher
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!
 
hawkeyethearcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: o'side baby
Posts: 12,630
now thats help right there. i don't plan to store much at first but keep trying them and then expand.

i must say i am in total envy of you. i have a few restaurants i get to just cause there is a Sommelier there. i usually give the guy a $20 tip himself and never knew if that was good or not. these are not lavish restaurants. one is emerils in las vegas for an example.
hawkeyethearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:53 PM   #14
ansel39
ROT Minister of Truth, Justice, and the Texans Way
 
ansel39's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: 4
Posts: 6,521
Quote:
Originally Posted by VinReaper View Post
Not if I am on the guest list!

You best have a tub of ice out back!


VR
make it to texas you are invited.

actually i do have a tub of ice. for the beer
ansel39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:53 PM   #15
hawkeyethearcher
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!
 
hawkeyethearcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: o'side baby
Posts: 12,630
so vin do you feel like giving an explanation of what a 90+ wine means?
hawkeyethearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:56 PM   #16
VinReaper
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!
 
VinReaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Out of my mind! Be back in 5 minutes! (+12517 to the Post Count)
Posts: 56,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyethearcher View Post
now thats help right there. i don't plan to store much at first but keep trying them and then expand.

i must say i am in total envy of you. i have a few restaurants i get to just cause there is a Sommelier there. i usually give the guy a $20 tip himself and never knew if that was good or not. these are not lavish restaurants. one is emerils in las vegas for an example.
You are a good man! And if the Sommelier has truly spent time with you and assisted in making your experience great, then definitely tip him! If he is just on the job, meh. He is getting tipped out a percentage from the waitstaff's tips anyway.

As for envying me, its just like anything else, you lose some of the passion and must work hard to find even ground when your poison comes to you with ease.

And here is something I always tell my non-professional students in the wine course I teach, "Mainly remember the wines you do like and don't worry so much about the ones that you don't. Remember a wine is specific to its vintage. So a wine you may not have liked this vintage may be a different animal in the next. But also know the styles first before you apply and preconceived notions of any wine."


VR
VinReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:04 AM   #17
hawkeyethearcher
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!
 
hawkeyethearcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: o'side baby
Posts: 12,630
there are 2 winerys close to me. i think i will have to start there.

the guy at emerils is awesome.he spent time with me and even gave me a couple drinks of what he called dessert wine. one was awesome and of course i forgot to write it down.

so anything you reccomend for a thanksgiving dinner with both tradtional and deep fried turkey. something from a local grocery store or that can be ordered and shipped in time? my sister in llaw usually brings a wine but her knowledge goes as far as her alcoholic friends taste that week and that usually isn't that good
hawkeyethearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:06 AM   #18
VinReaper
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!
 
VinReaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Out of my mind! Be back in 5 minutes! (+12517 to the Post Count)
Posts: 56,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyethearcher View Post
so vin do you feel like giving an explanation of what a 90+ wine means?
If you mean the rating 90+, well that is just numerology to me! And I tend not to buy into it whole heartedly. You must get to know the palate of the reviewer before you can understand what he/she means behind their score of 90+ or any score.

And another reason I don't by into to it too much is that it is overly vague and open to much interpretation. Let's ask the question, "What does 90+ pts. mean?" For example, A 90+ pt. Chardonnay from California. Is it scored against other California Chardonnay (from its region in particular), against others of its vintage, or is it a general score on how the reviewer enjoyed the wine with the meal they had in a specific setting at a certain time of day. I am sure 1961 Chateau Latour a 100pt wine would really suck on the beach in 100 degree heat. A ice cold glass of water would beat the crap out of it! LOL!

It is best to take all the numerolgy with a grain of salt and learn the regions and their varietals in the old and new world as well as the style and methodolgy. Then you can apply your own scales and ratings and truly see where your palate lies.

I also always tell my students, "Never let a critic make up your mind for you! Thank the Lord Robert Parker's tongue is in his mouth and not in mine!"

I am not trying to sway you against reading these critics. Heck I am one of them and most of them are my personal friends, but again read their words and don't worry so much about the numbers!


I hoped that helped?!

VR
VinReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:10 AM   #19
VinReaper
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!
 
VinReaper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Out of my mind! Be back in 5 minutes! (+12517 to the Post Count)
Posts: 56,642
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeyethearcher View Post
there are 2 winerys close to me. i think i will have to start there.

the guy at emerils is awesome.he spent time with me and even gave me a couple drinks of what he called dessert wine. one was awesome and of course i forgot to write it down.

so anything you reccomend for a thanksgiving dinner with both tradtional and deep fried turkey. something from a local grocery store or that can be ordered and shipped in time? my sister in llaw usually brings a wine but her knowledge goes as far as her alcoholic friends taste that week and that usually isn't that good
Well I am having a few value wine and a few killers at my T-Day celebration!

Try this wine:

Valle Azul Malbec from Patagonia (Argentina)

It is a dry, medium bodied red with black cherry overtones and soft tannins. It is a great glass of wine to pair with the gaminess of the fare and some of the heartier side dishes. It will also stand alone by itself. And the best part it should run you more then $14/bottle!


VR
VinReaper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:13 AM   #20
hawkeyethearcher
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!
 
hawkeyethearcher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: o'side baby
Posts: 12,630
thxs.i'm glad i started this thread.
hawkeyethearcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS

Prototypezstudios

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:25 AM.



Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright StatueForum.com