Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Sports

Old 01-13-2010, 05:35 PM   #11
Alex655321
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

It's been part of the game forever.
It's a physical game and you have skilled players who are so far ahead of the avg player.

Some of the not so skilled players may want to take out say Steve Yzerman giving thier team a better shot to win.

If you had to answer to one of these guys it normally would deter getting that person from getting rough with your best player.

Even Wayne Gretzky had a bodyguard, Marty McSorley was there with Gretzky in Edmonton, and even got traded to the Kings to protect Gretzky there.

Fighting isn't a part of the game like it once was.
Alex655321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:35 PM   #12
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

Dont NHL play in the Olympic?
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:37 PM   #13
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddball View Post
i guess you haven't seen many NHL games have you? the players in the NHL are the BEST in the world, bar none.
and most of them play in the Olympics too, they just don't kill each other as much and play the actual game a little more. I agree with 3Bags, Olympic Hockey is to the NHL what the NCAA is to the NBA.

Last edited by galactus; 01-13-2010 at 05:42 PM. Reason: rychehitman showed me the error of my ways. JUST THIS ONCE mind you...hehe
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:39 PM   #14
rychehitman
Galactus

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus View Post
and most of them play in the Olympics too, they just don't kill each other as much and play the actual game a little more. I agree with 3Bags, Olympic Hockey is to the NFL what the NCAA is to the NBA.
the Olympic Hockey section at the NFL Hall of Fame is a must see!
rychehitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:39 PM   #15
nbr3bagshotrow
curmudgeon Mod
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddball View Post
i guess you haven't seen many NHL games have you? the players in the NHL are the BEST in the world, bar none.
Oh yeah, I've seen plenty and I still prefer a game of skill than a roughhouse free-for-all. Nothing turns me off of a hockey game than 2 ruffians duking it out infront of 20,000 fans.

Why wouldn't football let a mediocre safety take down a more qualified receiver to keep their team from scoring. Same principle.
Old 01-13-2010, 05:41 PM   #16
galactus
Cosmic Art Collector
Adamantium Plus Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychehitman View Post
the Olympic Hockey section at the NFL Hall of Fame is a must see!
YIKES, my bad. Still have football on the brain...
galactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 05:59 PM   #17
VaultMan
Advanced Tweet Mechanic
Adamantium Member

Fighting is allowed, allegedly to reduce the risk of hockey stick violence on the ice. If you van just fight a guy you prolly won't try to cut him in half with your hockeystick.

Still fighting is just a prt of the game. I remember when Osgood and Roy dropped 'em and fought center ice. The place was insane!!!!
VaultMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:35 PM   #18
oddball
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by galactus View Post
and most of them play in the Olympics too, they just don't kill each other as much and play the actual game a little more. I agree with 3Bags, Olympic Hockey is to the NHL what the NCAA is to the NBA.
some nhl players represent their country in the olympics, but definitely not most. up until 1988, nhl players were not allowed to compete in the olympics and none did until 1998. there is talk that the nhl will again not allow their players to compete in the olympics come 2014.

http://media.fans.nhl.com/_NHL-Playe...72/111820.html
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:41 PM   #19
oddball
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbr3bagshotrow View Post
Oh yeah, I've seen plenty and I still prefer a game of skill than a roughhouse free-for-all. Nothing turns me off of a hockey game than 2 ruffians duking it out infront of 20,000 fans.

Why wouldn't football let a mediocre safety take down a more qualified receiver to keep their team from scoring. Same principle.
the fighting part of hockey has tapered off tremendously. back in the 80s, it was commonplace to see what is called a donnybrook. this is where entire teams would fight each other when tempers flared. nothing like a bench clearing brawl. but the nhl has since made tougher rules to prevent it from happening. any player off the bench during a fight is ejected and suspended. hockey is a tight knit game that takes a lot of skill. not too hard to figure out these guys are on the edge for the entire game. if you've never played the game, you have no idea what i'm talking about. i played hockey from age 8 to age 14 when my family moved to california. then i played with california girls instead and lost interest in playing hockey. but i've followed the sport since 1967 when the nhl had only 6 teams.

i watched this donny live as it happened.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veX55rLYAgQ
oddball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:45 PM   #20
rilynil
Yeah, I spend WAY too much time here!

Allowing fighting in hockey is ridiculous. If basketball players (who I believe are the greatest athletes in sports) acted like that, there would be multi-game suspensions.

Fighting in hockey is D-U-M-B.
rilynil is offline   Reply With Quote