Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Giclees/Lithos/Prints/Posters

Old 07-19-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
ReplicantSavior
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Feelings on Mondo's Day Long Sale

After seeing the print number this morning on the Dark Knight Rises poster. I was pretty surprised. I was thinking maybe a 2,000 ES but 9,350? That's crazy. Somehow people still missed the day long sale and are picking up the poster on eBay. Honestly, this poster should be only worth its retail price if not less.

I'm not sure how I feel about day long sales. I don't really collect anything. I don't get posters because they go up in price. I get what I like. But now I kind of feel like a hero winning a Mondo poster if even half of the people who got a Dark Knight Rises poster usually attempt Mondo drops. This isn't quite like Ferrari making as many cars as they can. But I wonder if Mondo can ignore the money opportunity now. If we will see what used to be special posters become basically mass market posters that just happen to be screen prints. Mondo posters would essentially be separated into the limited days and the open edition days. It would be what Justin said they wouldn't do.
ReplicantSavior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

That is some run for sure. Just look at how much they made on this compared to the runs of 150-300. If they wanted to maintain some form of exclusivity all they need to do is have an order window of 1-3 hours. It is still incredible that some people are paying almost double on eBay. For me that poster does not scream TDKR movie poster. It reminds me more of what WB would come up with for their excellent animated series.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:00 PM   #3
Luminous
Cyclops

I honestly wouldn't care if they mass produced prints. As long as the art stays top notch and they continue to be screen prints then I am still in. A silly ES number doesn't make these any more special for me.

I collect these for the art and the unique way in which they are printed.
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #4
Bullseye
Mod Assassin
Super Moderator

I'm like you L. These are just nice movie posters. If they were giglees on canvas I would prefer limited runs.
Bullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:14 PM   #5
rychehitman
Galactus

so if they can bring in damn near $400,000 for this open edition piece theyd be fools not to offer more open editions in the futre on a regular basis.
rychehitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:17 PM   #6
Luminous
Cyclops

Quote:
Originally Posted by rychehitman View Post
so if they can bring in damn near $40,000 for this open edition piece theyd be fools not to offer more open editions in the futre on a regular basis.
Did you mean $400,000?
Luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:19 PM   #7
rychehitman
Galactus

yep
rychehitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:19 PM   #8
FROBAY
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
Did you mean $400,000?
easily. I'm thinking an edition of 2000.
FROBAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:11 PM   #9
Marvelito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luminous View Post
I honestly wouldn't care if they mass produced prints. As long as the art stays top notch and they continue to be screen prints then I am still in. A silly ES number doesn't make these any more special for me.

I collect these for the art and the unique way in which they are printed.

If this turns into a regular type thing I may be back into Mondo. If the quality of the prints remains the same, I could care less about the ES. Guess we'll have to see how it goes. I want to see how long it takes them to get these posters out.
Marvelito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 06:44 PM   #10
Awesome

If they made everything open then the posters should go for $5 max therefore destroying the business, the reason why they price the posters so high is because of their limited nature and the amount of work needed to make screenprinted posters. Many of their customers would stop buying from Mondo since they would have no resell value at all.
Awesome is offline   Reply With Quote