Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > General Statue & Collectible

Old 03-26-2015, 01:11 PM   #21
DaveC
Frackin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanky Panky View Post
I think Campbell's style has only improved over the years in regards to his interpretation of Vampirella. This latest version seems to be his best effort --pulling off an attractive look that has been somewhat exaggerated in the past.
It’s never occurred to me before, but your observation that Campbell’s depiction of Vampirella has improved over the years, is spot on. Certainly, his artwork for this Dynamite statue is his most attractive depiction of her to date IMHO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VS1976 View Post
Are there actual sculpt pics of this? The preorder looks digital? Would like to see it before ordering.
I too had a slight reservation about ordering without seeing at least some physical work in progress. But then I remembered that Jason Smith is a digital sculptor of a pretty high calibre, so I’d expect that the preorder pics to be very close to the final sculpt. I doubt if anyone here is unfamiliar with Jason’s work, but here’s a link to his interview back in 2011 for anyone who isn’t:- Jason Smith Interview
Smith sculpts in Zbrush (which I’m still trying to master) and you can print off pictures off 2D images of the sculpt (including coloring) directly from the software and that’s why his Vampirella sculpt pictures look digital.

I guess as The Brewing Factory is still something of an unknown as far as we’re concerned, that is the only risk to pre-ordering that I can see. However, George Brewer seems to be well respected in the collectibles business and I think he has made an inspired decision to combine Campbell’s artwork with Smith’s sculpting approach.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darcius453 View Post
This one will fit in my display case, horray! Nice price too. It will be interesting to see which character they pick next. Im all for Dejah Thoris too.
Although, given the choice, I prefer something a bit bigger, I totally agree about the advantages of a 1/6 scale figure when it comes to display. After the latest tall SSC PF Vampirella, this one can be displayed next to it with ease. I have a feeling this may well become another classic of the 1/6 scale, on par with Sugita’s iconic version of Vampirella. I’ll certainly put my vote in for Dejah Thoris as the next “Women of Dynamite” subject.

BTW, did anyone notice, if you follow the link in Cyber-Lip’s original post to the Bleeding Cool website, the banner on the right hand side mistakenly calls Jason Smith “Jason Scott.” I hope this isn’t an omen for poor quality control.

Regards,

Dave.
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 06:09 PM   #22
Macethy
Look out for #1. Don't step in #2 either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanky Panky View Post
Good news! BBTS has her up for pre-order at only $189.

Hand-painted on cold-cast porcelain, the Vampirella statue stands approximately 12" in height with a 6" base, with each individually numbered as part of a Limited Edition run of 1969 statues.

http://www.bigbadtoystore.com/bbts/p...13&mode=retail
Oh happy days, except for the weak Canadian $ at this point. I like the initial design but not putting down my money until I see the final product.
Macethy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 09:22 AM   #23
iceprince_x
Deadman

Ordered....looking forward for the other ladies like Red Sonja, Pantha and Dejah Thoris.

Didn't know they own these characters too and would love to see them in 3d form... Xena, Eva, Daughter of Dracula, Jungle Girl, Lady Rawhide, and the Bionic Woman

I am happy that 1:6 scale statues are once again on the swing of things.
iceprince_x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 01:20 PM   #24
dccowen
Cross country skiing is great if you live in a small country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthos View Post
I think we can add Dejah Thoris to the Dynamite girls list.
She should be right at the top of the list.
dccowen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:22 PM   #25
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

this is one line I am SUPER excited about, if only for the fact that we will be seeing a Dejah Thoris statue. Would also love to see a Miss Fury Statue. You basically have Vampirella, Red Sonja, Dejah Thoris, Jungle Girl, Miss Fury, Pantha, Painkiller Jane, Chastity, Lady Demon, etc. Could make for a really nice line when all is said and done. I think they did a great job on the first piece, tho I am torn on wether to buy it only because I already have 2 Vampirella Statues, plus I have the new premium Format on pre order. So that would be 4 Vampirella Statues if I ordered this one too.

Ah, who am I kidding. I will definitely be buying this! Having 4 will allow me to with to switch them out from time to time.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 05:27 PM   #26
OrangeCrush
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReplicantSavior View Post
First time I'm hearing of this new Vampirella. Looks pretty good. I've seen the pose somewhere before but I can't remember.

It seems like Campbell is making statues of everyone except the characters he should be making namely the Danger Girls. But I'll look forward to what else comes out of the line. Especially if Campbell is designing all of them. Looking over Dynamite's titles I see:

1. Buck Rogers

2. Flash Gordon

3. The Shadow

4. Jungle Girl

5. Green Hornet

I assume Danger Girl and the Army of Darkness is some kind of deal crossover as I thought IDW had the Danger Girl property now. But there are a lot of notable female characters for Campbell designs.
Considering this line is titled Women of Dynamite, I don't think we will be seeing Green Hornet, Shadow, Flash Gordon, etc. this line will likely include Vampirella, Red Sonja, Dejah thoris, Miss Fury, Pantha, and maybe a few others like Jungle Girl, Lady Demon, Chastity, etc.

Oh, and this is currently up for pre order on Westfield Comics for just $151.99, which is basically $37.00 off the MSRP of 189.99. the pre order price is good until April 23rd. Or if your prefer Midtown Comics, they have it for the same price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedi_don View Post
Correction. Only the Jungle Girl was Dyanmite. Hit Girl was Dynamic Forces
Its still the same company. Dynamite Entertainment owns both Dynamite publishing and Dynamic Forces.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
It’s never occurred to me before, but your observation that Campbell’s depiction of Vampirella has improved over the years, is spot on. Certainly, his artwork for this Dynamite statue is his most attractive depiction of her to date IMHO.
In all honesty, one could really say that about all of his work, not just Vampirella. His work has slowly settled into a more natural appearance. it still has that Campbell styling, but its just not as pronounced as it used to be, which is ultimately a very good thing in my opinion.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:17 PM   #27
Hanky Panky
Captain Marvel

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush View Post
this line will likely include Vampirella, Red Sonja, Dejah thoris, Miss Fury, Pantha, and maybe a few others like Jungle Girl, Lady Demon, Chastity, etc.
Definitely excited to see what they cook up for Red Sonja, Dejah and Jungle Girl.

Quote:
Oh, and this is currently up for pre order on Westfield Comics for just $151.99, which is basically $37.00 off the MSRP of 189.99. the pre order price is good until April 23rd. Or if your prefer Midtown Comics, they have it for the same price.
Awesome! Thanks for mentioning these other sites. Would like to see more pics before a pre-order, but I do like those prices.

Quote:
In all honesty, one could really say that about all of his work, not just Vampirella. His work has slowly settled into a more natural appearance. it still has that Campbell styling, but its just not as pronounced as it used to be, which is ultimately a very good thing in my opinion.
Agreed. His early work was way too cartoony, but I think he's really found his groove now. Would love to see him actually do a full comic book again with either DangerGirl or Wildersiderz (which he never finished), but I know that's a pipe dream at best.
Hanky Panky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:08 PM   #28
BrandonJF
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

I don't know. I can't even put my finger on what I think is "off", but if I just saw these pics I wouldn't think "J. Scott Campbell". It looks good to me, but I'm more interested in a representation of Campbell's art than I am the character. Not sure...

http://www.dynamite.com/htmlfiles/vi...l?PRO=C123357#

BrandonJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 12:27 PM   #29
BrandonJF
I went to a general store. They wouldn't let me buy anything specifically.

Quote:
DCBS has it up for $142.49. I think shipping is around $7.
BrandonJF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2015, 01:07 PM   #30
rfridaythe13th
The Spirit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonJF View Post
I don't know. I can't even put my finger on what I think is "off", but if I just saw these pics I wouldn't think "J. Scott Campbell". It looks good to me, but I'm more interested in a representation of Campbell's art than I am the character. Not sure...

http://www.dynamite.com/htmlfiles/vi...l?PRO=C123357#

hmm. The body definetly looks like j scott campbells art. its the face that doesnt. I may have to cancel my pre order. Like you im more interested in a representation of Campbell's art
rfridaythe13th is offline   Reply With Quote