Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 04-25-2018, 05:48 PM   #1
protector2814
Phoenix

Comic Runs Of The Past That, IYO, Still Hold Up.

Was talking here the other day with a fellow forum-member about how some of the older, "considered-classic" runs & story-lines, no matter how hyped, don't quite hold up nor stand the test of time. I haven't been particularly enamored with much of today's writing, although there always seems to be a storyteller on top of his/her game, even still I find myself pulling my omnibus or old runs more so than ever.
Which classic, even if it's just a continuing tale that you go back to, do you feel stand on there own throughout the years? Go back 10, 20, 30, 40, 50 years of comics & share a run or two or three that you feel are still great, relevant reads. Here are a few of mine -

It's just been 10 years since he stopped writing The Punisher, but I think that NO ONE has ever topped Garth Ennis' run. Since his departure, the book's barely readable as far as I'm concerned. What proceeded his run, at times was strong, but no writer, imo, has ever come close.

Jack Kirby & Stan Lee's The Fantastic Four - While dated with hippies, sometimes simplistic themes (by today's standards) & off-putting emphasis on 60's sexual norms & archaic notions of me & women's roles, the beauty & wonder of the stories still hold true & are highly entertaining.

Neil Adams & Denny O'Neil's Batman which hit long before Frank Miller reinvented & set the course for all Batman to follow, explored just Batman being Batman. A lone, terrifying figure of the knight, hunting bad people.

Tomb Of Dracula by Gene Colan & Marv Wolfman - 70's dated & full of swingin' talk & jive smack. Colan & the Wolfman made one hell of a Hammer horror movie with this book. I can still read & love every time I pick up my essentials.

There are more. Feel free to bring up any stinkers you feel have not stood the test of time. I have a few of those as well.
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:14 PM   #2
statman
Baron Zemo

The Claremont/Byrne/Austin run on UNCANNY X-MEN and Byrne's solo run on the FANTASTIC FOUR spring immediately to mind. I can go back and read those any time.

The Micheline/JRJR/Layton run on INVINCIBLE IRON MAN is another that holds up, IMO.

Stern/JRJR (and Ron Frenz at the tail end) run on AMAZING SPIDER-MAN is really good.
statman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:42 PM   #3
Mister H
Gen 13

Byrne’s Man of Steel was very good.

Brubaker’s Captain America

Simonson’s Thor may be the best (IMO) of all time.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 06:54 PM   #4
Shoo
Hercules

Frank Miller's original run on Daredevil and, above all, Born Again. I love, love, love the writing and Mazzucchelli's beautiful art. Street level Marvel at its best.

Loved Bendis' noirish hornhead, too.
Shoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 06:08 AM   #5
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

Just Super Hero runs right ?

1-Stan Lee&Jack Kirby's Silver Surfer,

Really good stuff, i can't believe how good this comics was since what came after usually disappointed me... Lee&Kirby togeter is really a different animal. Very good.

2-James Robinson&Tony Harris's Starman,

One of the best runs ever, really heart felt celebration of everything Starman and JSA by true fans.

3-B. Michael Bendis&Alex Maleev's Daredevil,

Amazing stuff, made me wish we had them for Batman at the time and that's alot coming from a Batman fan. Fortunatly we are closer to that then back then today, Bendis is at DC now, may be after Superman, he can write Batman.

4-Grath Ennis's Punisher (with verious artist),

I have read all of Marvel Knight's and first trade of Max, and it was pretty good. Punisher is a true 80s Action Film hero at heart, if you ask me... And when they take him to those roots as a revenge story with street level gun action with mafia, cops and criminals, he's really good. And Ennis does it really well.

5-Jeph Loeb&Tim Sale's Batman

Especially the long Halloween is great. They actually made 3 mini series but can be considired as a Run when you add all of them together, i guess.

6-Ed Brubaker&Matt Fraction and David Aja's Iron Fist

Holy Moly this was something else, may be the best work of Brubaker. My mind was blown when i was reading this years ago. One of the rear comics which i followed month by month as it came out in single issues and i had a blast.

7-Robert Kirkman&Ryan Ottley's Invincible,

I haven't read all of it, but it had one of best twists in comics history and just amazing stories as far as i read.

I haven't read everthing ofcourse. Are the mini&maxi series included ? Then:

The Dark Knight Returns
Superman Red Son
Kingdom Come
New Frontier
Superman: Birth Right
Batman: Year One
Batman: Year 100
Superman for All Season
Wolverine: Weapon X

I hope i don't forget anything, these all are on the top of my head.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 01:04 PM   #6
The Dark Knight
Jubilee

I must add

Batman:The killing joke
Watchmen

To the minis. How could i even forget...

I hope i don’t forget anything else.
The Dark Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 12:16 PM   #7
ftrez
Nightwing

The first 12 issues of the Micronauts.

The Stern/Byrne Captain America run.
ftrez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 01:45 PM   #8
Y3E
Gen 13

Great thread.

Avengers vol 1 Kree-Skull War
Green Lantern-Green Arrow Speed drug addicition
Uncanny X-men vol1 Phoenix Saga
Fantastic Four Byrne run
Doctor Strange Byrne run
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 03:02 PM   #9
moon_knight1971
Rescue

I think anything done by John Byrne pre 2000 is magic. That guy just really captured the true essence of characters and his art was always top notch IMO. His Alpha Flight run comes to mind too. I'd love to see Randy Bowen team up with John Byrne to do statues
moon_knight1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 04:56 PM   #10
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by moon_knight1971 View Post
I think anything done by John Byrne pre 2000 is magic. That guy just really captured the true essence of characters and his art was always top notch IMO. His Alpha Flight run comes to mind too. I'd love to see Randy Bowen team up with John Byrne to do statues
That would be glorious!
protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote