Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comic Book Art/Commissions/Sketches

Old 01-26-2019, 09:57 PM   #1
Mean Green
Fantomah

Sal Buscema Incredible Hulk Box Art Homage Series

As my contribution in celebratration of Sal Buscema's 83rd birthday, I'm excited to share my new themed commission gallery with you fine folks at SF. Inspired by our very own Jade Giant's Bob Larkin homage series, I present the Sal Buscema Incredible Hulk Box Art Homage series! There were many reasons I chose this image to base this series on and one of them was that it is simple enough while easily recognizable, and allows each artist to inject their own personal style and artistic expression. Though this isn't the Hulk I grew up reading as it was a little before the time I got into comics, it has become such an important part of Hulk history and I felt it would be something I'd more than enjoy collecting. Most Hulk fans upon going back and exploring the earlier books will agree, it is such an iconic image and has stood the test of time in its importance and recognizability.

Huge thanks to Dave W. for the initial inspiration and the tips he provided when I shared the idea with him. It's definitely been a huge deal of fun to talk art again, especially Hulk art. He even gifted me a piece to contribute to the gallery! I still need to properly scan it and will post to this thread soon!

Enjoy!

https://www.comicartfans.com/gallery...sp?gsub=192579

This Dale Keown piece was acquired years ago before this idea sprouted in my head. I was thinking of themed commissions and then it struck me I that I already owned such a great homage piece, and it became the cornerstone of this series.

Dike Ruan's Planet Hulk - I thought it'd be fun to have different incarnations of the Hulk in this series. Most of the time, I leave it up to the artist to choose but I knew early on I wanted a Planet Hulk.

Ardian Syaf watercolor Incredible Hulk - Ardian's art has always been something on my list to acquire since the early days when his art was shared here on SF. His watercolor pieces are nothing short of amazing.

Chris Stevens Maestro - From a favorite of the SF Comic Book Art glory days! This was Snappa's first Maestro and his excitement to draw it definitely shines through. I can never get enough of Chris's art!

Aaron Lopresti Incredible Hulk - Aaron's work on the PH series cemented him as one of the great Hulk artists. Had I not jumped the gun and requested a PH form Dike Ruan, I definitely would've went that route here. No loss of course cause his Hulk is awesome as well!

Tom Raney Incredible Hulk - Tom's Hulk is in my opinion, the perfect blend of modern and classic and I absolutely love this piece.

Really enjoyed Andrea's art in the WWH v X-Men mini series, as well as some of the commissions Fred Chamberlain had been sharing with us here but this surpassed all my expectations. Big thanks to Fred for helping me set this up! Great experience overall and I highly recommend you get one of your own.
Mean Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 01:00 PM   #2
statman
Baron Zemo

Holy carp! Those are awesome! Nice idea for a theme. That Keown piece is next level!

Congrats on a bunch of great pieces TC!
statman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 11:59 PM   #3
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

Great idea for a theme and you have some killer pieces already.
Old 01-28-2019, 09:43 AM   #4
FredChamberlain
A day without sunshine is like... night.

Beautiful collection, congrats!
FredChamberlain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 03:07 PM   #5
SONICobra
Batman

some beautiful pieces and cool theme, congrats!
SONICobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 04:46 PM   #6
JadeGiant
Angry Green Rage Monster Mod. SMASH!
Super Moderator

Fantastic - so excited to see what versions are next! Comments left on all CAF pages! Congrats!

CAF
JadeGiant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 04:54 PM   #7
Demona
Martian Manhunter

Great theme. I really like the Ramey. I've always like the clean look of his art and how he doesn't draw classically pretty people.
Demona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 07:15 PM   #8
madmanny
Have you ever imagined a world with no hypothetical situations?

Wow that Keown is peachy
madmanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 01:11 AM   #9
Mean Green
Fantomah

Thanks all! I've got a few more in the pipeline and am hoping to steadily add to this theme.
Mean Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2019, 01:31 AM   #10
Arcusprime
Shadowhawk

WOW! These are all EPIC! Every one a masterpiece. What a fantastic idea!
Arcusprime is offline   Reply With Quote