Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Statue Talk - Others > XM Studios

Old 09-26-2014, 12:39 PM   #2021
Doctor Doom
If you saw a heat wave, would you wave back?

Just an honest question...why is there the constant jabbing between XM and SS collectors? I mean truly....don't most of us collect BOTH anyway??? Some pieces will be superior from each company...depends on who is painting on that day and of course who is sculpting.
Doctor Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 12:53 PM   #2022
Titanchuck
Cyclops
Adamantium Member

Repost
Titanchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 12:56 PM   #2023
The Mule
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpsarri View Post
You cannot dismiss the high level of creativity and technical ingenuity of having Spidey hanging on the wall. Many statues tried before to portrait Spider Man's physical prowess, but none did it as good as this. It is one of the greatest achievements from Sideshow. That alone, makes it very desirable among collectors of this legendary company.
I don't share this point of view, I mean, Spiderman has more often than not been sculpted in dynamic poses that imho perfectly gave the idea of his physical prowess. The difference between the Comiquette and those statues is that the Comiquette is bigger and much more detailed, and overall a better statue.
I do not deem "creative" the pose just because it's well executed, there is for sure an awesome technical expertise behind it and it's the best expression of the character, but this alone is not enough to meet the definition of "creative" - in fact, it's a classical pose of the character.
The Mule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 12:59 PM   #2024
vorpoll
Shadowhawk

Either way you look at it in my opinion it is one of the best statues out there. It is one of 2 or 3 pieces I own that won't be leaving my collection.
vorpoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 01:00 PM   #2025
Titanchuck
Cyclops
Adamantium Member

Quote:
You cannot dismiss the high level of creativity and technical ingenuity of having Spidey hanging on the wall. Many statues tried before to portrait Spider Man's physical prowess, but none did it as good as this. It is one of the greatest achievements from Sideshow. That alone, makes it very desirable among collectors of this legendary company.
Do you have anything on order from XM Studios?
Titanchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 01:17 PM   #2026
toe
Alpha Flight

that is my question as well. This place is starting to annoy me. Alot of here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Doom View Post
Just an honest question...why is there the constant jabbing between XM and SS collectors? I mean truly....don't most of us collect BOTH anyway??? Some pieces will be superior from each company...depends on who is painting on that day and of course who is sculpting.
toe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 01:22 PM   #2027
built2shred
Phoenix

Quote:
I think Koto's Spider-Man is pretty sweet and creative swinging by the decaying column.. to bad it's not 1:4 scale though....

I do think the com lost some of it's specialness when they decided to reuse the pose on Campbell's 1:5 scale Spider-Man.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 01:24 PM   #2028
Askani81
The Herculoids

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mule View Post
I don't share this point of view, I mean, Spiderman has more often than not been sculpted in dynamic poses that imho perfectly gave the idea of his physical prowess. The difference between the Comiquette and those statues is that the Comiquette is bigger and much more detailed, and overall a better statue.
I do not deem "creative" the pose just because it's well executed, there is for sure an awesome technical expertise behind it and it's the best expression of the character, but this alone is not enough to meet the definition of "creative" - in fact, it's a classical pose of the character.
I agree that XM Studios Magneto is a great piece. I love it too! However, I have to agree with jpsarri that the creativity is simply missing. As you can see from the attached thumbnails (taken from bowen and sideshow websites), there seems to be a union of the sentinel base and throne. Bowen started producing statues with sentinel base and it seems XM studios is doing likewise.
Askani81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 01:28 PM   #2029
JP Sarri
Retired Reviewer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mule View Post
Then you and I see "creativity" from two different perspectives. I personally don't think that depicting Magneto sitting on a throne is creative or mind blowing. Impressive yes, based on the level of detail, but nothing that breaks the four walls of artistic and technical achievement. On the other hand, the Spidey Comm presents a challenge of balance between the statue pose and the position of the base. Even after all these years after its release, I haven't heard anybody complaining about leaning issues. As we all know, gravity is the greatest enemy of any statue. This piece has not only beaten the odds; it continues to do it every day.
JP Sarri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2014, 01:30 PM   #2030
loricstone
Kang

Location: Don't come at me stupid or I'll Sammamish your candy ass!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Askani81 View Post
I agree that XM Studios Magneto is a great piece. I love it too! However, I have to agree with jpsarri that the creativity is simply missing. As you can see from the attached thumbnails (taken from bowen and sideshow websites), there seems to be a union of the sentinel base and throne. Bowen started producing statues with sentinel base and it seems XM studios is doing likewise.
The creativity is there Askani. What I would be more inclined to agree with is...the Magneto is not dynamic like the Bowen one.

But how can one like the Doom throne and call that creative, but call the Magneto throne not creative? There seems to be much more creativity in having Mags alter a Sentinel hand as a base.

Creativity is definitely there. Something that would be not creative is just Magneto standing with a one leg up pose standing on a plain X base. That would be non-creative...but that wouldn't mean it could not be a great piece.
loricstone is offline   Reply With Quote