The Maze Runner

The Maze Runner _ Official Trailer [HD] _ 20th Century FOX - YouTube

Looks good, I am intrigued.
Spideristic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:54 AM   #2
samhain81
The Masters of Evil

Looks unique

Although I wish Will Poulter would retain his British accent in films. Don't understand the incessant use of a put on American accent for him.

I know it was probably asked of him, but still, directors/producers should keep it natural. They have a British actor playing a British child in it, so why not two of them ;/
samhain81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:36 AM   #3
Vracula
Jedi Order

Looks good, I'm in.
Vracula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 12:16 PM   #4
johnclone
The Enchantress

Let's resurrect this thread!

The third film in the series has been postponed due to the main actor who plays Tommy getting seriously injured on set a few months back. I think he's supposed to recover, but it was a very serious injury so it will take a lot of time. So a third film may yet be made, but don't expect it anytime soon.

With a recent viewing of the Scorch Trials I felt like this series is toying with the viewers. I've seen both films but have not read any of the books. I did some research and it seems though that the book readers are equally fed up with the books, mainly how they do not explain things. 4 books so far in the Maze Runner series and barely anything has been explained. There is a book due out in September that is claiming to actually answer questions readers have had since the original Maze Runner book.

My main question is what actual purpose did having this enormous maze serve? It was extremely sophisticated, and would have cost huge sums of money to construct, money possibly better spent on searching for an actual cure to the virus, then in the second film we learned that there were actually other mazes. I mean come on, as if the first one wasn't enough. Ada what's her name said somewhere, I think it was the first film, that the maze was built so they could monitor the kids' brains while dealing with it. I am wondering if the maze wasn't constructed to somehow cause the kids to produce more of the enzyme that we were shown in Scorch Trials is unique to the immune kids. But wouldn't an exercise room serve just as well, or is it that the enzyme is more likely to be produced in a high stress, life or death environment like the maze provides. But then remember not all the kids went into the maze originally, only at the very end did they all go in. And several kids actually died. So if they had produced the enzyme, I imagine it perished along with them.

So for those of you who have seen or read these stories, what do you think? Is there any explanation that you can think of that makes any of this stuff make sense? Do you think even the author himself has a logical explanation for why these people would build a giant maze and put robot spiders in it along with some immune kids in the hopes of curing a deadly plague?
johnclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 12:25 PM   #5
zeus
What's another word for Thesaurus?

This is like "Lost" all over again.Me too I didn't understand the whole maze thing so you can just kill them at the end. Aliens would been better as the puppeteers.
zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 01:48 PM   #6
strife87
Spider-Ham

I just watched these two films about a week ago and this was the first question I had too! After watching scorch trials I was questioning the entirety of maze runner.

My second question is:
Spoiler
if they can pull the cure from living producers of it, why kill them to make a synthetic one? Can't you just pay them for blood samples to take the cure out, sort of like dialysis or something? They live on to produce more cure and nobody is harmed. The donors can be paid with all the money saved from not needing those mazes and installations anymore.
The rebels pulled a cure from Thomas pretty easily out in the desert to cure Brenda after she is bitten, and it required very little of the chemical. Not to mention it didn't seem to take much time. I understand she will require a lifelong treatment, but a synthetic cure could still be in the making while using the regiment to stay healthy.
strife87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 12:38 PM   #7
johnclone
The Enchantress

Quote:
Originally Posted by strife87 View Post
I just watched these two films about a week ago and this was the first question I had too! After watching scorch trials I was questioning the entirety of maze runner.

My second question is:
Spoiler
if they can pull the cure from living producers of it, why kill them to make a synthetic one? Can't you just pay them for blood samples to take the cure out, sort of like dialysis or something? They live on to produce more cure and nobody is harmed. The donors can be paid with all the money saved from not needing those mazes and installations anymore.
The rebels pulled a cure from Thomas pretty easily out in the desert to cure Brenda after she is bitten, and it required very little of the chemical. Not to mention it didn't seem to take much time. I understand she will require a lifelong treatment, but a synthetic cure could still be in the making while using the regiment to stay healthy.
Warning, SPOILERS TO BOTH MR FILMS

While viewing the first MR film everything was interesting and mysterious, and I enjoyed that film on the first viewing immensely up until the very end and what seemed to me to be a very copycat ending to Resident Evil 1. We suddenly find out in RE that Umbrella is watching everything, behind everything, etc. and that is what WCKD seemed to be modeled after. But it is easy to let it slide, because the film was so much fun to watch.

So skip ahead to the Scorch Trials, it was pretty cool seeing Petyr Baelish from GOT as a doctor, and his conference call with Ava was a nice reveal
Spoiler
that he also works for WCKD. DUN DUN DUN!!!! Never saw it coming. Actually no. lol.
. But I agree with you strife, the first problem was with the draining out of the enzyme from the kids. Why do they have to be in a vegetative state? I guessed that maybe they produced more of the enzyme that way than when they are normally walking around but it was never explained if that was true or not.

And what were those weird alien shellfish things in the jars? Absolutely no explanation at all about those. Were they alien in origin, what was the purpose other than looking cool?

Then later in the film, what does Ava or Eva, whatever her name is do? She has Petry Baelish shoot the other doctor that is familiar with extracting the enzyme out from a human. I thought the purpose of everything in these films was to get this stupid enzyme out of the kids. Why kill another doctor that is able to ACTUALLY DO this and just might help move the research forward?

The only logical explanation is that WCKD, with all of their medical and scientific knowhow, ARE TOTAL IDIOTS when it comes to making decisions! How do you cure a plague? Why of course, you build a gigantic maze with robotic spiders. And you shoot the people who can help with a cure. And when you find people who are immune to the plague, rather than encouraging them to procreate and make more people immune to the plague, you SEPARATE THE SEXES so they can't.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:40 PM   #8
johnclone
The Enchantress

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus View Post
This is like "Lost" all over again.Me too I didn't understand the whole maze thing so you can just kill them at the end. Aliens would been better as the puppeteers.
Yes! I remember thinking that aliens had to be the builders of the maze because it was so complex and huge.
Old 07-05-2016, 01:26 PM   #9
Y3E
Gen 13

I really enjoyed the first movie, up until the ending and like you, I thought of RE and half expected Mila to come jumping into the movie and kick ass . In the second movie, when "zombies" started to show up I really expected Mila to bounce up

I agree too many huh? situations; why the mazes, why hang these kids for enzymes, why kill the doctor, etc...I guess Thomas will be like the messiah who will break into the compound and free Minho and free Teresa from her brainwashing. We'll probably find out Ava is Thomas' mother and they will have a mother to son talk.
Y3E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:39 PM   #10
johnclone
The Enchantress

The third film is coming!

I still can't decide if I like or hate this series.

drumroll................

Maze Runner: The Death Cure