Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > Comic Heroes > Comics

Old 10-19-2011, 11:44 AM   #111
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytoxie View Post
Thanks. The preview pages of RS Omnibus vol. 1 on Amazon look really good.

I'm suprised we haven't seen more reprints of sword and sorcery from the big 2. I'm still waiting on a second Warlord Showcase.

We were supposed to get a Groo Omnibus from Dark Horse some time back, but i haven't heard anything about it since it was solicited.

And why can't an American publisher work out a deal to print an Asterix collection - not those thin, single story volumes, but a BIG one.
A long time ago in this thread, you mentioned Marvel's Skull the Slayer. I found the entire run at a small show & bought them. Read them in one siting & thought the story was quite good. Marvel should take a long look at updating this tale (along w/ Killraven's run) and re-introduce them to modern audiences in a modern way (like the new Atlas is doing w/ Wulf). I don't think the big 2 have amassed enough of a Barbarian Library, besides Conan, S. Kane, & Kull, to reprint much. Runs like this & Arion, Lord of Atlantis, really date, & wouldn't catch much of an audience ... besides us. lol.

protector2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 11:51 AM   #112
protector2814
Phoenix

3rd issue of Robert Howard's Savage Sword hit today. So, it's running 4x's a year which is nice. Pick it up so we can talk about it, my fellow fans of bloody sword comics.

Old 10-19-2011, 12:17 PM   #113
Babytoxie
Ghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
3rd issue of Robert Howard's Savage Sword hit today. So, it's running 4x's a year which is nice. Pick it up so we can talk about it, my fellow fans of bloody sword comics.

You bet! I'll grab it on the way home.

Glad to hear you enjoyed Skull. As long as they don't do some crappy update like Daniel Way did with Starr, I'm all for it. Heck, they could even put Richard Corben on it!
Babytoxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 08:22 PM   #114
protector2814
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babytoxie View Post
You bet! I'll grab it on the way home.

Glad to hear you enjoyed Skull. As long as they don't do some crappy update like Daniel Way did with Starr, I'm all for it. Heck, they could even put Richard Corben on it!
I saw him in Baltimore & the guy didn't look near as old as I thought he'd be. He must have really started young.
Old 10-25-2011, 01:36 PM   #115
Babytoxie
Ghost

Not enough copies of Savage Sword #3 around here - none left in the shops by the time I arrived. I did pick up REH's Hawks of Outremer trade, which was quite good; basically, it's Conan during the Third Crusade.

Old 10-26-2011, 03:25 AM   #116
supahman
I don't have a solution but I admire the problem.

Savage Sword was awesome !.. get it ..

Hawks of Outremer was good too... recommended..
supahman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2012, 08:43 AM   #117
Babytoxie
Ghost

I'm not following The New 52, but this caught my attention:

http://io9.com/5916819/this-septembe...antasy-heroine

Beowulf by Saiz? Nice! Maybe we'll also see Claw and Stalker.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:40 PM   #118
Juggernaut
The Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by protector2814 View Post
A long time ago in this thread, you mentioned Marvel's Skull the Slayer. I found the entire run at a small show & bought them. Read them in one siting & thought the story was quite good. Marvel should take a long look at updating this tale (along w/ Killraven's run) and re-introduce them to modern audiences in a modern way (like the new Atlas is doing w/ Wulf). I don't think the big 2 have amassed enough of a Barbarian Library, besides Conan, S. Kane, & Kull, to reprint much. Runs like this & Arion, Lord of Atlantis, really date, & wouldn't catch much of an audience ... besides us. lol.

I have always wanted to check out Skull The Slayer. I am holding out for a TPB or a HC collection. Maybe even an Omnibus release.
Juggernaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 12:34 PM   #119
Babytoxie
Ghost

Marvel could easily do a trade collection of the Skull storyline. The original series was only 8 issues, with a handful of appearances after that. Who knows how well it'd sell, but they've certainly reprinted worse. I'd buy it.

Still waiting on a second Warlord Showcase, the Groo Omnibus, and collected editions of Arion, Arak, Den, etc.

There's an Amethyst Showcase due later this year. Ernie Colon was the main artist on this one. What the hell, I'm in...

http://www.amazon.com/Showcase-Prese...9259556&sr=8-1
Old 06-17-2012, 09:10 PM   #120
ahabmike
U talkin' to me?

Wish we were getting Amethyst in color ... would love an Arion collection, too! Maybe if Amethyst does well? Eager to share it with my daughter (11 yrs old), although I do remember the attempted rape scene in the first issue... (will need to talk about that one.)

But Conan is king of all comics for me, esp. Savage Sword. Two years ago I taught a Conan comic story into a class on American supernatural writers (a Savage Sword adaptation of "Old Garfield's Heart"--Thomas turned it into "Old Garrod's Heart" & made Conan the hero, as he did with lots of Howard's non-Conan stories...). I also taught the first issue of Walking Dead... sometimes life is good!
ahabmike is offline   Reply With Quote