Statue Forum 

Go Back   Statue Forum > News and Updates > CKinSD Conventions

Old 08-28-2015, 07:20 AM   #1
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

Wizard World Loses Money

http://www.newsarama.com/25693-repor...r-q2-2015.html

Is this really a surprise? They have cons in pretty much every city in the US and most times, there are hardly any comic artists. They were in Raleigh this year and I think they had maybe 5 name artists if that and the price to get in was crazy, crazy high!!!
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 08:37 AM   #2
ratchet
Mandarin

I remember when they put on a Boston Wizard World after the BCC started gaining traction. It wasn't well attended at all and I remember the ticket prices being outrageous. They focus on B/D list movie starts who all charge for an autograph - so of course you'd pay a ton for after you get inside.
ratchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 09:19 PM   #3
xforce
Hydra

I remember Wizard World Philly about 8 years ago the convention was amazing went again 3 years later and was DEAD, have not hit one again. Two years ago did NYCC that was the best one I ever attended
xforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 03:14 AM   #4
bnmauney
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

I think the beginning of the end for Wizard was about ten years ago when they tried to encroach on Heroes Con with a show only a few hours away in Atlanta on the same weekend. That whole fiasco turned off a lot of fans and pros alike to them and their shenanigans. If memory serves, quite a few of the top pros at the time swore off Wizard shows, and I believe most of them held to that. Add that to the fact that many of Wizard's business ventures have failed (anyone remember Black Bull?), and, well, it's really not a shock. I don't believe that ol' Gareb Shamus is involved with them anymore, is he? Seems like I remember him selling out years ago. Maybe around the time the print magazine folded? Regardless, I'm not really interested in the type of shows that they put on. So, unless they get together the entire cast of ALIEN or ALIENS for a signing, I'll probably never bother with them.
bnmauney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:03 AM   #5
MO42
Sey hallo to my lille fren!

I never understood how a company that began in NYC doesnt host a convention in that city?
MO42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:30 AM   #6
risingstar
Jedi Order

People renting tables at cons appear to be at greater risk of lower profit margins too these days as well. Whenever we go, it seems like very few people actually buy anything, especially the women who attend. We've attended the last 5 yearly cons in Montreal, and I don't believe I ever bought a book, toy, or any memorabilia. The kids love the cosplay (as do the majority of the women/couples in general who attend), which is the major reason why we attend. Over the years, I did buy 1 Neal Adams piece, and several other times, I paid for some autographs (e.g., Stan Lee, and Star Trek cast members). Also, if I'm to be brutally honest, you can get better prices for books on Amazon -- and besides, who wants to lug around stuff at a crowded con? Alas, the writing is on the wall -- less and less people care about the "comic book". Cons have become more a place to be seen and less a place to buy stuff.
risingstar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 08:56 AM   #7
joefixit2
Baron Zemo

I was talking to a dealer a few years ago at a small con near me and they said that Wizard makes them sign up for multiple shows if they want to set up at a table.
joefixit2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2015, 02:35 PM   #8
Fanboy
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joefixit2 View Post
I was talking to a dealer a few years ago at a small con near me and they said that Wizard makes them sign up for multiple shows if they want to set up at a table.
Not true, or at least not for us.

We just did our first Wizard World (Chicago) this past week and everyone there was great. You are offered a discounted rate for continuing to do shows and they even have a service where they will transport your merchandise, by pallet, from one show to the next. You don't even have to do the very next one as they'll transport it to the show afterwards.

Of course they are eager to have you do as many shows as possible, but it's not that constant nagging about it. More of reminder about the services they offer.

The do offer exhibitors one thing that I have not yet seen at another show. There is a speed pass exhibitors can use to get to the front of an autograph line (after the VIPs are done), so you can get a quick signature and get back to your booth.

Overall it was a good experience. The only complaint was the travel, but when you are going from Connecticut to Chicago there isn't much you can do about it.
Attached Thumbnails
Booth 0001.jpg   Booth 0002.jpg   Booth 0003.jpg   Booth 0004.jpg   Booth 0005.jpg  

Booth 0006.jpg   Booth 0007.jpg   Booth 0008.jpg  
Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:13 PM   #9
xforce
Hydra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fanboy View Post
Not true, or at least not for us.

We just did our first Wizard World (Chicago) this past week and everyone there was great. You are offered a discounted rate for continuing to do shows and they even have a service where they will transport your merchandise, by pallet, from one show to the next. You don't even have to do the very next one as they'll transport it to the show afterwards.

Of course they are eager to have you do as many shows as possible, but it's not that constant nagging about it. More of reminder about the services they offer.

The do offer exhibitors one thing that I have not yet seen at another show. There is a speed pass exhibitors can use to get to the front of an autograph line (after the VIPs are done), so you can get a quick signature and get back to your booth.

Overall it was a good experience. The only complaint was the travel, but when you are going from Connecticut to Chicago there isn't much you can do about it.
I live in CT do they have a show here?
xforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:58 PM   #10
Fanboy
Artificial Intelligence usually beats real stupidity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xforce View Post
I live in CT do they have a show here?
Nothing from Wizard World, however we just finished with Connecticut Conn (just renamed Terrificon http://www.ctcomicon.com/). We had done it in 2014 and it was decent enough, but there were complaints about spacing as it was held in the hockey arena in Bridgeport. for 2015 they moved it to the Convention Center at Mohegan Sun and the show was very good. A much more spacious floor plan and solid guest list for a smaller show. Definitely something we will plan on exhibiting at again next year.
Fanboy is offline   Reply With Quote