Go Back   Statue Forum > Other Stuff > Movies / TV / DVD / Music

Old 01-18-2019, 02:33 AM   #21
armitage
Kindly Asked To Leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruson View Post
Loved Unbreakable
Liked Split

Just saw Glass and it was AWFUL. Boring first half and a terrible ending. Almost Last Jedi bad...
The only good film M. Night Shyamalan did was 6th Sense. I thought Unbreakable was ok but was drab and slow. I liked Samuel L Jackson's part in it. I thought Split was ok but I wasn't blown away, Professor X (can't think of his name right now.) stood out for his acting more than anything but other than that..meh.
the movie was as luke warm and underwhelming as every other Syamalan film. They majority of them have good acting , but the pace...I've seen moss grow faster ( Signs and the village were painfully slow for me.). Save yourself the trouble if you watch his films for twists and just watch old episodes of the Twilight Zone.
armitage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 03:09 AM   #22
built2shred
Phoenix

True Shyamalan only huge hit was 6th Sense... As long as nobody ruins the twist for you it's a great film with a twist most people won't see coming...

All his other movies I saw the twist coming a mile away.... he would of been better to do movies without twists for awhile before going back because after 6th sense everyone is looking for the twist... I figured out Village's twist very early on in the movie which made the movie rather boring... Signs was just zzzz

I did enjoy Unbreakable although a bit slow but I found the story semi-interesting.
built2shred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 04:51 PM   #23
off
The X-Men

I saw Glass, it was no where near TLJ bad but very, very slow.

The ending is a total let down, didn't do the characters justice.

All that being said, young Professor X can act, he totally makes what little there is of the movie.
off is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 12:46 AM   #24
Meteor Man
Imperial Guardsman

I went to Glass yesterday. I enjoyed it for the most part. Yes it was very slow, but I liked the build up and love psychological thrillers in general.

The problem was that the build up worked for me, but the ending was a complete let down.

Unbreakable is one of my all time favorite movies.

Split was also great, especially with the surprise at the end which tied it to Unbreakable.

Glass unfortunately was a missed opportunity in my mind to solidify this trilogy into some thing even more special...but it was missed.

More comments to follow after the movie has been out long enough not to spoil things...
Meteor Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 01:06 AM   #25
Mister H
Green Goblin

I agree. End was a letdown.
Mister H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 05:22 PM   #26
Colossal
100,000 sperm and you were the fastest?

Are we allowed to discuss the ending in this thread? Let me know, but Unbreakable was the first date movie I ever saw with my wife and it's very special to us. Split was spoiled by my little sister as being part of the universe, but I still enjoyed it.

I loved Glass until the end and hated it, thinking it ruined the entire trilogy and the memories I have of it fondly when I got to know my wife. However, we watched it together, then discussed it after, and we worked out the twist in more detail, and actually felt it was a genius ending with so many levels to it. I'd like to discuss our take on it to see if others agree, but let me know if it's allowed here.
Colossal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:08 PM   #27
MONSTER
Modzilla
Super Moderator

I changed the title so you can speak freely about the movie now.
Old 01-20-2019, 06:29 PM   #28
Gothamite
Phoenix

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colossal View Post
Are we allowed to discuss the ending in this thread? Let me know, but Unbreakable was the first date movie I ever saw with my wife and it's very special to us. Split was spoiled by my little sister as being part of the universe, but I still enjoyed it.

I loved Glass until the end and hated it, thinking it ruined the entire trilogy and the memories I have of it fondly when I got to know my wife. However, we watched it together, then discussed it after, and we worked out the twist in more detail, and actually felt it was a genius ending with so many levels to it. I'd like to discuss our take on it to see if others agree, but let me know if it's allowed here.
Your date will always be special. Just ignore the sequels.
Gothamite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 06:47 PM   #29
Colossal

Thanks Monster and I apologise for the length of this post!

Ok, so this was an important one for me and my wife, the first film was our first date night movie, our first kiss blah blah :-)

My sister had already seen it, and said not to get my hopes up. The reviews seemed really negative, that M Night had fudged the landing on a trilogy almost two decades in the making.

I was enjoying the film throughout, but nervous and worried waiting for the twist or point where it might be ruined, my sister's foreshadowing up front in my mind.

I loved the started, with Bruce and his son almost taking on a Batman and Alfred relationship together. I'd heard that the film was more about Crumb than Dunn or Elijah, but I thought it was evenly balanced. For me, the story was always about Dunn, the origin of the universe.

The first act was great, then I started getting worried when the aim seemed to be coercing the 3 (and by extension us) into believing that maybe all they'd done, and all we'd seen in the movies, was fabricated in their minds. Dunn being a highly intuitive normal person, rather than the ability to touch and see 'sins'. An old gun and weak bars explaining the Beast's abilities. I didn't understand this, because I felt that they had physical abilities. How can you convince Dunn he's normal if he can just go back to his cell and break his cuffs, or bend his bed? Yet, just like how Elijah convinced Dunn originally that throughout his life, he just hadn't realised he was gifted, she managed to slowly convince them maybe she was right. Dunn questioning himself, Kevin having to repeat 'I believe, I believe' when transforming into the Beast. I didn't like it, but rationalised it at the end when Kevin was shot that it's psychosomatic, he was able to be shot because he was taken out of the Beast persona mentally (same as when he was Hedwig in Split and couldn't push the door open when the girls were holding it back).

So I kept going. Forward to the big fight at the end. Loving it. The lingering worry was fading, but I knew we didn't have long left of the movie. Then the 'twist' that Kevin's dad was on the train with Dunn. Ok, I can go with that. Elijah mentioned how amazing and coincidental it was, providence even, that his dad on the same train, effectively triggering both Dunn AND Kevin's transformation.

Then the final twist - that a secret organisation had been killing off anyone over 10,000 years with gifts that presented themselves. To hide them from society (we can't allow gods to walk among us), to suppress and oppress evolution and any powers that come with it. So they kill off Dunn and Kevin and I thought, I'm not going to watch another M Night film again, this is BS.

Finished the film and me and my wife both sat back and started talking and for us, ended up feeling that the ending was a stroke of genius on so many levels, despite the pain of losing Dunn in such a horrible fashion too (I begrudgingly accepted that Dunn loses his strength temporarily due to almost drowning, otherwise he could have easily overcome his attacker from being drowned, as he was weakened when he almost drowned in the pool in Unbreakable).

We felt that M Night was effectively saying this was never about him creating his own MCU, that this universe, this reality of people with gifts could very well be our own but that we'd never know it because of this 'Clover agency' monitoring anyone that may have powers. It seemed the shrink was experimenting with them as an alternate option of killing anyone with gifts (potentially making martyrs) and instead trying to convince them that they are nothing more than normal people with illusions of grandeur and ability.

And Mr Glass either knew about them, or his entire intent right from creating Dunn was to reveal superhuman to the real world (his real agenda). He convinced her that the plan was to set the reveal at the tallest building, but as we know it was really to use her own cameras to release footage of their gifts. She even called it his suicide mission, knowing he wouldn't make it. The hard part to swallow was him telling the Beast to drown Dunn in the tank was to also sacrifice Dunn for this purpose (despite knowing he had a son, he knew this was a worthy sacrifice).

By releasing the footage, he wanted to reveal the secret agency (this may be true, or simply a byproduct of releasing the footage, it depends if you think he was so beyond us that he knew about the agency already too), but predominantly wanted to awaken us, the world. To realise just like Dunn had after 40+ years, that maybe, just maybe you had gifts you disregarded, didn't even realise you had. Slightly stronger, faster, or further down the spectrum by being able to bend bars or not die from bullets.

To me, when his son looked back and smiled at the footage of his father released to the world, the smile was because this was his dad going beyond the 1% of his abilities that Elijah mocked him for using on common street thugs and robbers. His sacrifice was the start of a global awakening of gifted/superheroes and I think Glass was prepared to die for that.

I found it interesting that Night almost tried to convey that this was a possibility in our world, but at the very least, in the movie where powers are more realistic, confined to rules and physics as Elijah said. I hate and still do hate that the trilogy ends with David dying so harshly and unceremoniously to the equivalent of the 'Illuminati', but his death effectively brings forth the Age of Heroes in that world, awakening those with the genetic gifts they tried to eradicate for all those centuries.

Definitely deserves/demands a second watch, but while it still aches, I actually think it was a great ending to the story and trilogy. What do you think?
Old 01-20-2019, 06:50 PM   #30
Colossal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothamite View Post
Your date will always be special. Just ignore the sequels.
Damn straight Gothamite (well, I'm stuck with her now anyways regardless!) :-)

I just didn't want the sequels to leave a bad taste in our mouths every time we watch Unbreakable, which they almost did until we discussed it. My wife said the same thing, I'll just forget Split and Glass - but I said it's like the Star Wars prequels and new ones for me, once you open Pandora's Box, you can't close it no matter how much you want to forget (where's Rick and Morty to erase your memories when you need them!?)